The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TS Supreme Breeches washable?

Has anyone washed their Supreme TSs? The tag in my new ones say dry clean, but it seems like with what the fabric is, they should be washable... Has anyone tried it and have they lived? Should I just dry clean? I won't hold anyone to it, lol.
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I've washed all my breeches, including my TS supreme's, for years ... turn them inside out, zip/velcro everything closed, wash on cold/delicate with woolite or similar. I hang them to dry.

They've held up fine, and in fact the knee patches stay nice and soft instead of getting stiff like they do when I've tried dry cleaning instead.

Never had any problems at all.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I always have tossed both my Royal Hunters and Supreme Hunters in the washing machine on gentle cycle with cold water and Woolite. Let them hang to dry, and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by EQrider330 View Post
    I always have tossed both my Royal Hunters and Supreme Hunters in the washing machine on gentle cycle with cold water and Woolite. Let them hang to dry, and you should be fine.
    Exactly what I do, but sometimes I put them in the dry for a few minutes

Garments must only list [I]one[I] form of cleaning. Many different cleaning/washing methods may work just as well.

TS breeches of all kinds can be washed as described above.

Chaps, full seat and all leather breeches can be safely washed with the proper cleaning agents. As me how I know
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

yep, another washer of both supreme and royal hunter breeches. I don't even use woolite any more, although I probably should. I do turn inside out, wash in gentle cycle with very little detergent, and hang to dry. I only get them dry cleaned now when I want them nicely pressed because I am a terrible ironer.

I agree with above poster that says you can wash things like chaps, I've done it with pepede and had good results. In fact should do my half chaps now that I am thinking of it, they're gross.

I wash all mine using Lucassb's method, as well.

Kryswyn - thanks for the info about garment labels. I often wash items listed as dry clean only with no ill results.

I'm a washer and hang to dry as well. Agree with Lucassb, dry cleaning messes up the knee patches.

So, as long as you put them on the low cycle and only use light detergent they will be ok? Does this apply to all tailored sportsman breeches or just some of them?

If answer was yes to the last question....what happens if you put your dry-clean-only hunt coat in the was on low cycle with only a bit of detergent? Hehe just checking to make sure everyone was completely awake

While all of my TS breeches have survived the washing machine, my sister's show coat did not... learn from our mistakes hehe.

Funnily enough, my two pairs of TS's are identical except for one little detail: One of them says "dry clean", the other says "wash cool gentle cycle"

Straight from the horse's mouth... I think you're fine to do it. I actually found the deer skin patches to stay softer and last longer with cool washing instead of dry cleaning. I dry cleaned when I was younger, and then kind of gave up on it- the closest dry cleaner is now 45 minutes away from my house.

Thanks so much, everyone! That's how I wash all of my other breeches, so I guess I will just be tossing my Supremes in with the lot of them! That's great news!
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

I have washed mine for years, as well as my Ariats. Hand to dry and touch up with an iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I've washed all my breeches, including my TS supreme's, for years ... turn them inside out, zip/velcro everything closed, wash on cold/delicate with woolite or similar. I hang them to dry.

They've held up fine, and in fact the knee patches stay nice and soft instead of getting stiff like they do when I've tried dry cleaning instead.

Never had any problems at all.
    This.

I've only had a problem once, and I'm not sure what exactly happened. Pulled the breeches out of the wash and the knee patches had basically disintegrated But, they were VERY old. I have not had a problem since