The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ordering helmets online?

I need to get a new helmet soon, but none of my local tack shops carry IRH. I'm too poor to buy a CO right now, so I'll need to order the helmet online.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems really strange to order helmets online. Is it safe? I mean, the second your helmet is dropped or exposed to extreme heat it needs to be replaced, and it seems like a helmet might accidently be dropped a few times in the shipping process.

Do they just double pack the box like you do when you ship computers?

Also, I'm planning to order from Smartpak, although I've never used them before. Any other preferred alternatives?

I think it's perfectly safe to order a helmet online. I've done it once, but just for a tipperary schooling helmet from Legacy Tack.

I order from SmartPak quite a bit and they always ship everything with extra paper in the box so you should feel perfectly safe ordering from them. Plus, their customer service is so good they will take good care of you if you have any issues.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I order schooling helmets on line all the time. I get dial-at-fits for the lesson business. I have no concern about everyday drops in shipping. Shoot, my lesson students drop the helmets often enough.

If you are worried about heat, then order on the weekend so it is packed and shipped on Monday.

I guess I don't see any difference in the risk of dropping/heat for a direct ship to me versus as direct ship to the store.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Smartpak carries IRH. I just bought one, as a matter of fact. Make sure you know the style that fits you, though. I am lucky enough to have a store near me, and I tried on a bunch of their styles. Most fit me fine, but a couple were a little different.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

And remember that CO fits very oval, while hte traditional IRH are more round. They do make long ovals, though.

I wouldn't be worried about shipping a helmet. A drop during shipping won't hurt them - especialy given that they're in their own box in a shipping box. Heck, helmets get dropped on the floor all the time and it doesn't hurt them.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Even if you go to a tack store and buy a helmet in person ...the helmets had to be shipped to the tack store at one point, presumably.

Second Hunter Mom, and would like to add that I actually fit a size smaller in the IRH LO sizes than I do in CO. My CO was a 58 I think, and the IRH is 6 7/8. In the regular IRH, the 7 fit front to back. If any of that helps

I just bought a new CO from SmartPak during their helmet sale last month and it came well-packed with paper to cushion it.

The one thing I would caution about buying a helmet online is to always check the manufacture date. Helmets generally have a five-year lifespan. My new CO had been manufactured in May 2010, so that's a year off the lifespan. I called SmartPak and they offered to either exchange it or knock 1/5 of the price off, living up to their continued reputation as having the Best. Customer. Service. Ever.

As I'm sure there's another helmet I'll be coveting in 4 years' time, I took the discount.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Smartpak carries IRH. I just bought one, as a matter of fact. Make sure you know the style that fits you, though. I am lucky enough to have a store near me, and I tried on a bunch of their styles. Most fit me fine, but a couple were a little different.
    I have no idea what size I need in IRH, so the fun will begin soon! I know I need a long oval, probably a 7 3/8 or 7 1/2. It's been a couple years since I was measured, so my memory is a bit hazy. My absurdly oval head is what is causing my problem. Otherwise I could go to any of the 4 tack stores near my house and pick up a helmet on the spot. Unfortunately, none of them carry the non-dial IRH's, and since I don't know my size I can't just special order one. I'm glad that Smartpak has a good return policy, as I get to play the find the helmet that fits game. It may take quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    Second Hunter Mom, and would like to add that I actually fit a size smaller in the IRH LO sizes than I do in CO. My CO was a 58 I think, and the IRH is 6 7/8. In the regular IRH, the 7 fit front to back. If any of that helps
    It does! It means that I'll probably start out trying the 7 3/8 long oval, and not be surprised if I need to go down to the 7 1/4. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by supaflyskye View Post
    Even if you go to a tack store and buy a helmet in person ...the helmets had to be shipped to the tack store at one point, presumably.
    Very true.

Around here there are very few tack shops, and all of them seem to carry just Troxel. Since I have a really oval head, that doesn't work for me, so I always have to order my helmets.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

IRH has a measurement guide on their site at http://www.irhhelmets.com/fitting_guide.php. If the CO fit well, you will probably need the long oval, and this should help some. I, too, took 1 size smaller in the IRH. They do come with a bit of foam to help pad the headband a tiny bit to customize the size, too.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    I found the same difference as they both did with the sizing between CO and IRH. I would start by trying one size smaller in an IRH.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    I just bought a new CO from SmartPak during their helmet sale last month and it came well-packed with paper to cushion it.

The one thing I would caution about buying a helmet online is to always check the manufacture date. Helmets generally have a five-year lifespan. My new CO had been manufactured in May 2010, so that's a year off the lifespan. I called SmartPak and they offered to either exchange it or knock 1/5 of the price off, living up to their continued reputation as having the Best. Customer. Service. Ever.
    Ditto on the extra packing paper, and thanks for the tip about the manufacture date. I didn't know to look for that, and will definitely check it now.