The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Excessive drinking/urination

Hair coat is fine.
    I was going to ask the vet to do a blood panel.
    What might we be looking for?

Excessive drinking & urination (polydipsia and polyuria) are classic signs of diabetes in humans and other species. I'm not too familiar with the disease in horses, but I would think IR would be high on the list of possibilities.

Metabolic syndrome or Cushings. They can have Cushings without the long hair coat.

How then do you feed a Cushings horse?

May or may not be relevant to your situation, but the gelding I had with HYPP drank and urinated copious amounts, which is one of the symptoms you'll often see even in "asymptomatic" horses.

Something like Cushings is probably more likely, as previous posters have mentioned. The mare I had with Cushings adid the same thing.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Knew a young horse who drank and hence urinated a lot. Nothing wrong with him except some mental obsession with water. Vets said he had hydrophilia and owner was instructed to limit his water intake to normal amounts.
    2016 RRP Makeover Competitor www.EnviousBid.com

It could also signify a problem with the kidneys

Take a look at www.ecirhorse.com for good info on metabolic issues including dietary management. Apparently actual diabetes mellitus is very rare in horses, but I knew of one awhile back that had diabetes insipidus, which has as main symptom the PU/PD - polyuria/polydipsia. If it is metabolic, the best way to find that out is to have the Vet check the glucose/insulin ratio. Even before diagnosis can be done, it would be safest for the horse if you feed as if that is the underlying problem. The main thing is to avoid high sugar/high starch.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I had an old horse that developed this problem later in life, coupled with diarrhea. His blood panel came back normal. A couple of weeks later, someone mentioned how he stood at his feeder taking bites out of his salt block. I removed the salt block and things cleared up.

I would be suspect of IR and or cushings! Bodie was a drinker and a peer! IR for years then finally Cushings. Low carb-starch diet, no treats and Bodie was never out on grass!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Bodie just died from laminitis so this is a problem I am familiar with!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

I would also suspect IR/EMS -- prior to my horse being diagnosed as such after foundering last year, he was drinking a lot and urinating a bunch. It had been going on for some time so I just thought it was him and nothing to really worry about, but I now realize it was one of the signs that I missed. But some horses do just drink out of boredom, as someone above mentioned, and it isn't always an indicator of an underlying medical condition, but good to check.

Had an older horse who did it, was his kidneys. In another case, put horse on plain timothy hay rather than the timothy, clover, alfa hay, and the problem was significantly improved.

Good luck figuring out your guy! Keep us posted!

Excessive drinking and urinating sometimes occur after application of certain drugs esp certain steroids. Like when a horse is being treated with steroids for musculoskeletal and/or allergy issues...

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    I had an old horse that developed this problem later in life, coupled with diarrhea. His blood panel came back normal. A couple of weeks later, someone mentioned how he stood at his feeder taking bites out of his salt block. I removed the salt block and things cleared up.
    I had a hirse that was around 14 years old that would eat chunks from her mineral block and subsequently drink lots of water then just make a mess of the shavings in her stall with all of the urinating. We took away the block and just gave her trace minerals every day.

This is a mother and daughter.

Years ago, the mom had small hard ovaries when I was trying to breed her. I put her on Thyro -L and got in foal. Once, I thought now she is in foal, I can stop feeding it. She lost the foal. So I kept her on that supplement with her next two foals.

Due to the economy, she has not been bred again.

Her daughter is 3 this year, small for her bloodlines yet gorgeous, and also drinks and pees a lot.

I remember doing a blood panel years ago for the mom and it was inconclusive.

I'm thinking of approaching these two as if they are IR horses, and see if the excessive water intake goes away. Would a blood panel indicate minute adjustments of anything?

The mom is prone to hoof abscesses. Can someone help connect the dots here?

The combination of hoof abscesses and excessive drinking/urination would lead me to suspect IR.

One more thing, the mother has a cresty neck.

... connect the dots.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I would also suspect IR/EMS -- prior to my horse being diagnosed as such after foundering last year, he was drinking a lot and urinating a bunch. It had been going on for some time so I just thought it was him and nothing to really worry about, but I now realize it was one of the signs that I missed. But some horses do just drink out of boredom, as someone above mentioned, and it isn't always an indicator of an underlying medical condition, but good to check.
    I had a gelding that used to drink and urinate frequently from birth. Turned out that he had EMS and the excessive drinking was a sympton and sign. Of course we didn't figure it out until he got laminitis and had to be put down.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010