The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Oklahoma Governor asks for Prayers for Rain

http://news.yahoo.com/another-blast-...222355253.html

"The big story for the coming weekend will be the building heat," said Jim Keeney, a National Weather Service meteorologist. "It looks like it's going to be a long-term heat wave."

In the thick of the heat wave is Oklahoma where Governor Mary Fallin asked Oklahomans to pray for rain this Sunday.

"The power of prayer is a wonderful thing, and I would ask every Oklahoman to look to a greater power this weekend and ask for rain," Fallin said in a news release on Thursday."

Really, you can start praying for rain for us now. You don't have to wait until Sunday. And you certainly do not have to be in Oklahoma to pray for us to get rain. Good earth quenching rain.

I lost all my hay in a fire a couple of weeks ago. As typical, I left it stored on site with the farmer. Then nearly 2,000 acres burnt out there. Not like the fire was his fault. But he does have all my cash in advance, & I now have no hay. Back to out of state searching.

Please pray for rain for us, as we desperately, desperately need it.

Texas governor has already been there and done that....no luck so far. Headed for the hottest summer in 113 years. And no rain....

I'm not sure if I can post on subject of prayer/unanswered prayers/God, because that's not horse-related. ??

eta: While waiting to see if mod or someone will tell me whether I have to connect this topic to horses or at least hay , I heard a loud thunderclap & then a nice downpour commenced. Praise God! I don't reside in TX or OK, as you might guess.
    Last edited by Western; Jul. 15, 2011 at 09:43 PM.

We have been over 100 on and off for a few weeks now, even broke the all time record high a few times with 113.

We have not grown not one blade of grass this year.

NM got some rains and we are supposed to get a load of alfalfa from there this evening, if nothing else comes up, at an unheard of price too.

We have been feeding our horses last year's alfalfa and had plenty in our barn, but friends have been getting very short and we let them have some.
    One took 16 bales today, but they were completely out and even the stores don't have any regularly.

The hay man did say he thinks it is raining a bit in NM and CO and this is going to change soon, there will be more hay around.

Our rain dances are not working at all.
    Good for that governor, whatever it takes to get rain started.

Can't wait for those GO Shows Happy it is all indoors

Prayers sent.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

We prayed for rain here and we have been getting it.

I will now start praying for rain in OK and TX.
    RoanPonyMare

Any atheists out there willing to give God enough of a chance to try an honest & heartfelt prayer for rain? :=) Worst that can happen is nothing...
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I'm in TX, my family is in OK. I know it is horrible in OK, but at least my parents have had some small amounts of rain numerous times since the last time I saw any. They haven't had anywhere near enough, but at least some. And the price they paid for hay last week was horrendous. My barn manager in TX just picked up some hay and his hay guy doesn't think he's going to get another cutting. If he doesn't, we don't have enough to last the winter. Not a good situation at all.

Praying for rain for all you folk.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

I would be happy to send you our rain. Summer hasn't really started here yet, as it just. keeps. raining. DH will be driving from the PNW down to Savannah. I'll see how many clouds he can drag along behind him and drop off with you.

Lordy, I can't imagine. How awful. Will send all forms of rainful wishes your way.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

NM got some rains and we are supposed to get a load of alfalfa from there this evening, if nothing else comes up, at an unheard of price too.
    I'm in central NM and we did finally get a tiny bit, but not much. Even our mesquite and creosote bushes are brown. It's pretty terrible.

Colorado has been getting some good rains, though, at least according to my friends up there.

My heartfelt prayers for everyone in drought regions.
    When I go light candles later today I'll make sure one is for rain for those areas.
    And maybe a little break from that nasty heat all y'all are dealing with.
    Hang in there folks...
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

we got 9 inches of rain yesterday.
    I'd share if I could believe me

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    Any atheists out there willing to give God enough of a chance to try an honest & heartfelt prayer for rain? :=) Worst that can happen is nothing...

This heathen would be happy to sacrifice a virgin on your behalf.

But I can't find one.

Seriously, I hope you all get some nice gentle showers soon.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/another-blast-...222355253.html

"The big story for the coming weekend will be the building heat," said Jim Keeney, a National Weather Service meteorologist. "It looks like it's going to be a long-term heat wave."

In the thick of the heat wave is Oklahoma where Governor Mary Fallin asked Oklahomans to pray for rain this Sunday.

"The power of prayer is a wonderful thing, and I would ask every Oklahoman to look to a greater power this weekend and ask for rain," Fallin said in a news release on Thursday."

Really, you can start praying for rain for us now. You don't have to wait until Sunday. And you certainly do not have to be in Oklahoma to pray for us to get rain. Good earth quenching rain.

I lost all my hay in a fire a couple of weeks ago. As typical, I left it stored on site with the farmer. Then nearly 2,000 acres burnt out there. Not like the fire was his fault. But he does have all my cash in advance, & I now have no hay. Back to out of state searching.

Please pray for rain for us, as we desperately, desperately need it.
    That is what insurance is for. He should be reimbursing you for your hay via his insurance policy. Trust me, if he's a farmer with 2,000 acres, he should have insurance.

I suspect that God resents the general selfishness of governors who request rain for their OWN state during a nationwide drought. Perhaps we should get together a committee to examine the value of having New Mexico's voters pray for rain in Texas, while Texas' voters pray for rain in Indiana, and so on and so forth.

I have no idea who will be praying for California, but if you would also pray for a new governor who has a brain, it would be much appreciated-- ours hasn't mentioned rain even ONCE during his daily prayers. His prayers sound more like, "Dear God, please find something else that I can lease out to foreign interests... please!"

Meanwhile, our corn is curling up (higher grain prices this year anyone?), our second cutting hay is pretty much pure alfalfa, because nothing else has roots that go 30 feet down, so nothing else is getting water to grow. Too bad horses aren't ruminants...

Quote Originally Posted by Shansurri View Post
    I suspect that God resents the general selfishness of governors who request rain for their OWN state during a nationwide drought. Perhaps we should get together a committee to examine the value of having New Mexico's voters pray for rain in Texas, while Texas' voters pray for rain in Indiana, and so on and so forth.

I have no idea who will be praying for California, but if you would also pray for a new governor who has a brain, it would be much appreciated-- ours hasn't mentioned rain even ONCE during his daily prayers. His prayers sound more like, "Dear God, please find something else that I can lease out to foreign interests... please!"

Meanwhile, our corn is curling up (higher grain prices this year anyone?), our second cutting hay is pretty much pure alfalfa, because nothing else has roots that go 30 feet down, so nothing else is getting water to grow. Too bad horses aren't ruminants...
    They are irrigating corn here to the max and still, with 113 to 118, it is not enough.
    Some corn is now being harvested for silage, they gave up on it and it is not being accepted for that either, too many nitrates from being drought stressed, so no market for that either.
    What they are doing is skimming the top half of the plants and so the nitrate count goes below the acceptable limits, the rest I guess will have to rot.

Our hay delivery didn't happen, they say now maybe Tuesday.
    What a year for hay, paying more than ever and practically having to beg for any of it.

The hay farmers in CO are getting some rain and are putting their hay up, not selling it, knowing it will be gold next winter and that is adding to the shortage.

Manys thanks to all of you willing to be humble before God in asking for good decent rain for Oklahoma, & any other place that needs it too.