The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USEF erasing records on request?

Seems fishy to me.... Can USEF erase records on request?

I inquired about an extremely cute horse for myself to lease. Apparently has had an "extremely successful show record up north at A shows" and was ridden under some BNTs in New England. I have asked the owner several times for the horses show name so I can look him up on USEF. She FINALLY replies with the name " MYPIPER " but then proceeds to say that the people she sold him to ( and bought back from a year ago) were crazy and attempted to erase all of his show records " because they didnt want anyone else on his record but their own daughter". She did tell me her name is Avery and when I look MY PIPER up on USEF her name shows up as the owner at one point but he only showed at 2 shows since 2006? Not to mention she says he is 14 and USEF has him down with a foal date in 2001.....

Is this girl totally bogus?? Can you have a record ( partially) erased on request?

No, far as I know you cannot have a record on a horse erased on request. Otherwise a whole lot of ineligble Greens and Ponies that measured over would be coming back for another "Green" year at their new height.

But you don't have to. All you have to do is rename it, move it a few states over and start a new record.

Or just lie and assume everybody is too dumb to go check.

But, beware of spelling exactly as it is recorded or horses with more common names or those not recorded at all before assuming fraud or a big lie. Have to be sure it is the same horse.

USEF has been known to make some blunders in the points but...people also are known to "puff" things a little and exagerate a show record. Or neglect to mention it was at The BIG AA show but in a 2', unrated baby, maybe class or jump around clear and get a blue like 45 of the 75 in the 3' schooling class and those would not be recorded.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

It is also possible that the other owner recorded/showed the horse under a different name.

Unless you can show USEF that there are errors in a horses record, you cannot make it go away.

Also, keep in mind a that there are many areas of the country that have A rated shows that are are county/regional associations and not USEF recognized.

Agree w/ findeight there could be several MyPiper or My Piper and I know of 2 pretty well bred geldings who were imported registered w/ USEF w/ their imported names but buyers changed and didn't do so thru USEF (not necessarily to be shady but to avoid paying the name change fee) So whatever their record was before the name change is not gone necessarily but won't be easily identifiable. The whole point of having horses w/ID # and records is to hopefully try to prevent horses from competing in divisions they aren't eligible for but as you can see it's not a perfect system; but that doesn't mean there is bad intent.

If you mark the horse as retired, they will remove the horse's show record. It seems sort of crazy that they do that, since it would be nice to look at the history of certain sires/dams/siblings, etc.

So, it is possible that the horse was lame/injured, some owner marked the horse as retired, and now the horse is trying to be resold, marked as a sound performance horse. Surely not your particular case, but it could happen.....

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    If you mark the horse as retired, they will remove the horse's show record. It seems sort of crazy that they do that, since it would be nice to look at the history of certain sires/dams/siblings, etc.
    Two of my old horses are marked retired and another one deceased, and their results still show up if I do a USEF results search (only everything prior to 2007 was expunged).

Oh! That's good to know! The two I'd marked retired I'd done in or around 2007. So glad to know they changed that practice.

I know the horse, nice guy, shown up to 3 foots. Is 14 years old, have seen his records. PM me if you want more info.
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I have a retired horse and his show record still appears.
    If they erased his record then the zone standings in his division for two years would have had to be 'revised' and that didn't happen.