The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

I hope it comes to my area when it gets released spring 2012.
    Last edited by HPFarmette; Jul. 18, 2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: clarify what I meant

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarmette View Post
    I hope it comes to my area.
    the video made me catch my breath.

some.kinda.dogs.

huh?

Default LOVE border collies

never had a full blooded one, but on my third cross....Newf/border collie, wonderful girl...

I've been around them and had them in class but never wanted one with strong instinct. Seemed unfair since I don't have cattle or sheep for them.

I love watching the BCs work up at the farm. We love watching them creep along to the sheep and just "do their thing." The farm owner uses her sheep as lawn mowers around the cabin. The BCs make sure they stay where they're supposed to and move them around the yard - lol. Talk about being "green."

Definitely passing this link along!
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Watching a good BC do its thing can just be mesmerizing. The ones that have a good strong eye can just herd so effortlessly. Amazingly, our girl hooked up with another BC she'd never met, and to watch the two of them make a plan and execute in just minutes was amazing!

Ours is out of Scottish and Welsh imports and came from a sheep farm in Wisconsin. That said, although she needs a job to be happy, the job does not HAVE to be herding. If she can play flyball, soccer, run, and tell the horses what for, she is a perfectly balanced and content lady.

As ours is getting on in age, we are already looking into where our next will come from and have started looking into breeders.

I was a little taken aback that a few AKCish type breeders write "if you do not have a fenced in yard do not contact us for a puppy".

In that BC's do best on LARGE open space areas to run, herd and expend that endless energy, isn't that a request almost destined for a failed life for a BC?

But I digress.....great vids!

While I agree that BCs do best in a wide, open area...if you were a breeder selling a dog to someone as a companion, would you rather have them say, "I will take my dog to the park to run and exercise (off-leash,)" or would you have them say, "We have a one acre fenced yard for exercise (off-leash.)"

In an ideal world, every dog owner would ensure their dogs were well-behaved with a solid recall. But until that world exists, I'd rather try to have someone protect my pups than letting them off-leash in a wide open area (where they could attempt to herd a child or other dogs and get "in trouble" for biting (aka herding.))

Quote Originally Posted by Xfactor View Post
    As ours is getting on in age, we are already looking into where our next will come from and have started looking into breeders.

I was a little taken aback that a few AKCish type breeders write "if you do not have a fenced in yard do not contact us for a puppy".
    Don't get a border collie pup from an AKC breeder, please!

Sounds like you have a lovely dog from working stock. AKC dogs don't work stock. Sometimes they play at it in set up "herding competitions" but it's not real work. AKC dogs are bred for looks, not for working ability.

Here's what I'd recommend. Find a USBCHA sanctioned trial near you: here's the link to upcoming trials.
    Then go and watch and talk to people. Sheepdoggers are a friendly bunch. As long as you remember that AKC is a four-letter word where working border collies are concerned.*

*If you'd like to know more about why this is, I recommend The Dog Wars by Don McCaig.

Love my Border Collies..to me, there is no other breed EVEN close to them. I grew up with Blue Heelers and after owning my two current BC's, I am a BC gal thru and thru.

Both of mine came from shelters..my second one, Fletcher, sat at the shelter for 6 weeks, an owner surrender. NO ONE wanted this guy..and for the life of me, I cant figure out why. He was pulled by a rescue and I offered to foster him...and fostering turned to owning.

He is actually really cool in the fact he is tough enough to work cattle too. In my area, heelers are the dogs of choice..BC's are considered to "soft" to work tough cattle. Fletcher works both..he won me over when, about a week into fostering, while loading heifers, one broke out of the catch pen and took off down the fence to the pasture..Fletcher was off like a bullet, headed her by BITING her on the nose, turned her and drove her back to the pen.

He can also "creep" and the eye on this dog is utterly intense..My sheep are all very respectful of him, including the ram. he loves "work"..the highlight of his day is chore time.

And Smart..holy gucamole he surely is..

I wish I knew his breeding..I'd take 10 more like him.

Quote Originally Posted by spinandslide View Post
    NO ONE wanted this guy..and for the life of me, I cant figure out why.

He is actually really cool in the fact he is tough enough to work cattle too.
    this is probably why. He's tough and he's smart. A wicked bad combination for most owners.

You work him, so he's perfect for you, most people don't work their dogs.

He is actually really cool in the fact he is tough enough to work cattle too. In my area, heelers are the dogs of choice..BC's are considered to "soft" to work tough cattle.
    These Aussies do it all (Conformation shows, cows, sheep, ducks, couch potatoes...)

(Photos courtesy of Flying Carpet Kennels)

http://flyingcarpetkennels.com/spot_turning_calves.JPG
    "Spot" - Flying Carpet's Equinox, RTDs

http://flyingcarpetkennels.com/daffy_on_head.jpg
    "Daffy" - HOF WTCH Hardrock's Mudlucious Daffodil RTDs, CD, RS-O, JS-O, GS-N (Spot's mother)

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    this is probably why. He's tough and he's smart. A wicked bad combination for most owners.

You work him, so he's perfect for you, most people don't work their dogs.
    True..

he was also quite..portly....and in bad need of several conditioning baths (lots of hair on this guy)..

He would have been stellar for any "active" type home..agility, flyball, any outdoorsy,active type home..didnt need to be "herding" per say...

He's living proof you can find truly awesome dogs in the shelters...I wont say hes "easy"..hes abit of a hardhead sometimes..thankfully, years of working with heelers prepared me for this..he doesnt have anything on them..

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    These Aussies do it all (Conformation shows, cows, sheep, ducks, couch potatoes...)

(Photos courtesy of Flying Carpet Kennels)

http://flyingcarpetkennels.com/spot_turning_calves.JPG
    "Spot" - Flying Carpet's Equinox, RTDs

http://flyingcarpetkennels.com/daffy_on_head.jpg
    "Daffy" - HOF WTCH Hardrock's Mudlucious Daffodil RTDs, CD, RS-O, JS-O, GS-N (Spot's mother)

my herding instructor is an aussie gal..but I have converted her to the darkside..she just got a new BC pup to add to her working string..muhahaha!

Her dogs work very well..I see alot more Aussies around here then BC's..but heelers still outnumber them both.

my herding instructor is an aussie gal..but I have converted her to the darkside..she just got a new BC pup to add to her working string..muhahaha!

Her dogs work very well..I see alot more Aussies around here then BC's..but heelers still outnumber them both.
    My instructor won't work an Aussie. She is definitely biased towards the BC. I LOVE my BCs, although the pup is driving me crazy....9 months old...terrible teens....

The older guy is the best dog ever! And he has no problem with cattle (or nasty old ewes). That's his big fault, he's a little too much for some timid sheep..... he's learning how to back off a bit.... he just spent a week at sheep camp, I don't think he wanted to come home
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

The person who runs the farm mentioned above (also our dog's herding trainer) has one Border Collie that came from a poor situation. He apparently has a stellar pedigree, but was sent off for training at a young age, and came back with emotional scarring.

She calls him "the one with the tail" since the rest of the herders are just fluffy butts.

Quote Originally Posted by foggybok View Post
    My instructor won't work an Aussie. She is definitely biased towards the BC. I LOVE my BCs, although the pup is driving me crazy....9 months old...terrible teens....

The older guy is the best dog ever! And he has no problem with cattle (or nasty old ewes). That's his big fault, he's a little too much for some timid sheep..... he's learning how to back off a bit.... he just spent a week at sheep camp, I don't think he wanted to come home
    My fletcher, the BC I mentioned, is very tough and therefore, like your guy..timid-er sheep he has had to learn to "read" the stock abit better and "back off"..not everything requires an iron fist! but he surely is an asset with the cattle and also my ram. My ram is still young and pretty mannerly..but I've heard to many "horror" stories about them to give him much more then an inch.

Kate, my other BC works the timid sheep VERY well..in fact, I am debating about getting ducks for her too..She is a very soft dog.

I am going back and forth about sending Fletcher to "herding camp" for a month or so when the weather cools down..my friend sent her BC for a week and like yours, he did not want to come home!

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    The person who runs the farm mentioned above (also our dog's herding trainer) has one Border Collie that came from a poor situation. He apparently has a stellar pedigree, but was sent off for training at a young age, and came back with emotional scarring.

She calls him "the one with the tail" since the rest of the herders are just fluffy butts.
    Shame about that BC..

There are many different lines of thought on training a stockdog..the trainer's Ive worked with are not "modern" type trainers (ie-shock collars)..they train traditionaly...which is what I like. Alot of trainers, just like horses, really can fry a talented dog's brain too.

and yes, my coach calls my BC's..the ones with the tails in a sea of wigglebutts!