The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog licking leg

I noticed last night, she was licking a spot on her leg. I have seen this before with other dogs and they can lick almost a hole in their leg. I know it is boredom, but she doesn't play with toys. She is a miserable dog these days.
    yes, I checked, there is nothing there to cause an irritant.
    Another killer of threads

Default I must be missing some backstory

Why is she a miserable dog these days?

If you think she's bored, have you tried enrichment like stuffed kongs, hiding treats, ice cubes, frozen veggies, training, exercise?

Are you looking for info about e-collars (inflatable, cone, straight-jacket style) or deterrents you slather on?

Can she get some new, special, exciting toys? Kongs stuffed with cheese or peanut butter? Agility work, rally work, fly ball...anything that might jazz her up and make her think?

If nothing is working and she is still depressed, perhaps some drugs? The Clomicalm seems to at least be playing a part in making Koa feel better without her friend, and it was not expensive.

It could be allergies. Feet and legs are a great place to pick up dust, pollen, all sorts of common allergens.

Yikes! Lick granulomas are not pretty. Try other distractions, but don't be afraid to slap a lampshade (aka e-collar) on her to break the habit.

Tea Tree Oil mixed with water and sprayed on a body part works well as a chewing deterrent...It's pretty nasty smelling/tasting....along with the distractions suggested.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I have a dog that does that. She licks it often enough that there is now a "sore" where she licks. The vet says that SHE caused the "hot spot" by licking, not that she was licking something that bothered her.

Vet gave us some nasty gel type stuff to put on it 2 times a day, and I correct her when she licks, but its still obvious. Im curious to see what people say about this!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

it gets to be an OCD issue........then the licking causes pain, which releases endorphins....and the whole nasty cycle begins and never ends(yeah, ask me how i know)
    there are OCD drugs for dogs......they can cause some pretty wacky reactions....
    benedryl can help stop it before it becomes a serious behavior issue.esp if it stemming from allergies

My lab is doing this right now. My horse vet gave me Panalog to cover the raw spots with a gauze and vet wrap if he licks too much. I will try the tea tree oil I have at the barn! He is now licking his front legs. Last week, it was his back leg! We put him in a kennel for 4 days since we had to go out of town and left instructions to treat if needed. He was not raw at all when he came back. Go figure!

Default pardon the ignorant questions of a dog owner,

but
    I have a kong, she has never shown the slightest interest in it. I rummaged thru the closet for it last night, found it, and gave it to her. She wasn't interested. I pulled out the original chewy thingie from it, ewww must be two years old! EWw gave her that and she ate it. Do I put things with pb on them in it, or just fill up kong with pb? The ants will love me I think!
    Where to get the Tea Tree oil? Petsmart or TS?
    There is NOTHING on her leg, and I doubt it is allergies. I can hardly get her to go out to pee. She will Not. go. Out. after dark. Ain't gonna happen.
    I am convinced she wants a litterbox like the kitties.
    I am going out today, so I will get Benedryal, and maybe the TTO.
    Thanks guys.
    By the way, she is a VERY insecure dog. Don't know why. She always has been. But today, when I hear or see her licking, I gently call her and pet her. She stops but I can't pet her all day. Maybe I will also try a thundershirt.

I think I got the Tea Tree Oil at Walmart. It's been a while! I have some made up in a spray bottle and it does seem to stop chewing.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Default I got the BEST thing for the licking! A foster!

Well, today is my birthday, and my niece and I went out to lunch. On the way back, we stopped at Tractor Supply to get dog food, and they had a Black Dog Rescue there rehoming dogs.
    My niece was immedietly drawn to a Border Aussie mix that looked quite a bit like my old dog Auggie. [Been gone about 4 years.] This is a male, about 2 years old, housebroken, neutered and chipped. Very friendly. Cute too. He has nerve damage in his left front so no one wanted him!
    I was very interested but I knew we were going to moms for dinner and we all have multiple dogs. I thought it would be a bad idea to take him, but Kim thinks he will be fine. I am going to 'foster' him for a month and see how it goes. He didn't want to leave the foster.
    I drove Kim home, and she insisted we bring him into her back yard, and she brought hers out one at a time, first the JR, and then the pit cross. They were instantly friendly and capered around the yard. So I collected him up-oh and Kim took two pix, since I am cameraless at the mo. As soon as she sends them to me, I will post pix.
    Anyway, I brought him home to Toffee, and she was less than impressed. At least she wasn't horrible. And she isn't licking. I do think she needed a buddy, but my mom is giving me $100 for my b day and that is his exact price.
    His name is Snickers, which I know some didnt care for for a cat, but I like it alright. I was trying to think of a T name for him when I realized, TOFFEE is candy so is SNICKERS. Perfect.
    Wish me luck!
    http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...3ce936de451066

NOT SURE IF THESE WILL WORK, IF NOT i WILL WORK ON IT SOME MORE...

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...3ce936de451066
    Last edited by Larksmom; Jul. 16, 2011 at 06:31 PM.