The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Follow up on brown cat...

I've seen her/him a few more times now. I thought some here might like to see more pictures. It let me get a bit closer and take pics that weren't through the storm door. I got a few close ups of it eating. I think it's tongue was out in everyone of them. LOL!

Here's a link to photobucket: http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1.../brown7132011/ There are five pics there.

Oh I like him/her!
    We never see that chocolate colour around here on a cat (or at least I have never) is it rare?
    if you havent fallen off a horseā€¦.then you havent been ridin long enough

It's rare to me! I'd never seen one like him/her either. Here's the first thread I made about it. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=310779
    There was some interesting color genetic info the discussion.

Wow, up close she is really exotic looking. I wonder if she has some Bengal in her?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Alabama you are just down the road a bit from me and we obviously are kindred spirits -- I trap and neuter the ferals at my barn too. They stick around and are fed 2 x day w/the horses. I have a kitten (well I guess she's now a cat) that was born feral at the barn. Trapped her and her litter mates, gave 2 away to a good home and kept her. She's really pretty and her mother is just gorgeous. I'm just outside Columbiana --

PennyG

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    Alabama you are just down the road a bit from me and we obviously are kindred spirits --<snip> I'm just outside Columbiana -- PennyG
    You just reminded me to update my profile. I'm still your neighbor, though. I just moved up the road a bit to Calera. Nice to meet you! And I'm a complete sucker for any cat. LOL!

Guin, I don't know much about Bengals but she looks exotic to me. But I'm a novice at cat genetics, so who knows??? Out here in the sticks where no one seems to see the benefits of spay/neuter there's no telling what he/she has in her.

I'm dying to trap her and make her a friend. S/he's already somewhat trusting.

Here's a bengal:

http://www.pawsonline.info/images/facts/bengal.jpg

I think your kitty looks similar with her coat pattern, and the brown coloring, although she is a darker brown. In any case, she is really unique!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

That coat pattern is the "classic" tabby as opposed to the more common "mackeral" tabby. The classic is swirls and the mackeral resembles the skeleton of a fish -- vertical stripes. Gorgeous kitty -- best of luck! I'll bet she makes a great house cat once caught.
    PennyG

I'd guess, looking at his color, there's a Havana Brown cat somewhere in his lineage. http://www.pictures-of-cats.org/havana-brown.html

I have a Havana named "Stogie" (they were named after a cigar, so a little cigar is a stogie...oh well, I like his name), a lovely breed, the only solid brown domestic cat too!

It would explain the color at least. A simple cue...when the breed is inquisitive about something, it holds one front leg up.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Very exotic looking, and very attractive. She looks like she is getting more relaxed around your house. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures with us.

I'm getting a dilute tortie color from the pics with some tabby markings visible as well. I believe the way it works from the bottom up is :
    Base coat color + tabby markings + tortie masking masking certain areas of the body + a dilution to the entire body.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.