The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Telling a Saddle fitter LA needed ASAP!!! Husband and trainer (Both of you are wrong)

Both trainer and hubby believe that dressage saddle for mouthy colt should be put up over the shoulders like a jockey racing saddle. Mouthy (getting much better) colt got went (in one dime sized spot on one shoulder) from chestnut hair to to rust colored hair, from rust hair to to scaly skin now from scaly skin to hairless. Every ride it seems to get worse (he as been under saddle like <10 times for under 1 hour each time) My hubby and trainer place the dressage saddle way up past his shoulders so the horse has limited movement, it is not a jumping saddle the tree points are killing the nerves in my colts right shoulder and since the leather of the saddle looks like it is in the right place (to them) and they have me outnumbered... I need backup to save the colt from getting a white spot. And cranky attitude.

Trainer has convince hubby the horse injured his shoulder while rolling. Don't think so can get pics. Definitely not an injury from a stone - get's worse every ride.

Need impartial qualified saddle fitter to evaluate situation.
    Can trailer the horse, rider and saddle to them. Sunday best.

How do I stop Hubby & Trainer from riding colt
    Last edited by Alterkeepquiet?; Jul. 14, 2011 at 04:31 PM.

While you are waiting for the saddle fitter....use Google. Show them articles about fitting dressage saddles & pictures of properly fitted ones and the consequences of improperly fitted saddles.

And to stop them from riding? Hide the saddle.

Who owns the horse?

What qualifications does trainer and hubby have when it comes to saddle fit?

When you put the saddle on the horse, can you slip your hand under the front and slide it down the front panel? You should be able to.

Any way, if it is YOUR horse, you tell them to NOT ride with the saddle like this.

If it is not your horse, I am not sure what you can do.

Take some photos of the saddle on the horse.

How old is this "mouthy colt" and what does the mouthyness have to do with saddle fit?

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

uh, trainer? If this schmuck was a qualified trainer, he or she would know where to put a saddle properly on a horse. Perhaps you and Mouthy need to flee in the night under the dark veil of anonimity.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

winfieldfarm.... a "trainer" is not necessarily always, IMO, right when it comes to saddle placement.

I used to ride with a dressage trainer (she did ride dressage but not a lot of formal training or background in dressage herself). She came from a H/J background.

She would consistently place the dressage saddle too far forward (as you might place a h/j saddle). I'd slide it back behind the shoulder points and get corrected.

After awhile, I stopped riding with her...

OP, do you have any local tack shops? Try calling them to see if they know of a saddle fitter in your area.

Otherwise, is this your horse? If so, who cares what the trainer and hubby say, you tell them where you want the saddle.

Your horse?
    Don't argue with either husband or "trainer".
    *Tell* them where the saddle is going to be placed.
    Do not accept any arguments about it.
    Just keep repeating it.
    If necessary, move/remove the saddle and put the colt away.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Your post is confusing. Are you asking for the name of a saddle fitter to trailer the horse to so you can put an end to the saddle placement issue?

If so, where are you located? LA? Meaning what? Los Angeles? Louisiana?

Let me see if this is what you meant: Saddle fitter in LA needed ASAP to tell husband and trainer, "Both of you are wrong."
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Find a catalog or magazine with pictures of horses wearing dressage saddles. Show to trainer and husband. They'd have to be pretty dense not to see that dressage saddles sit behind the shoulder.

(And I agree that this is a "trainer" not a trainer!)

Mouthy colt got went...huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Mouthy colt got went...huh?
    Translation: WELT
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Any English saddle is placed behind the end of the shoulder blade.
    Not on top of the shoulder blade. The horse can't move properly and will get sores.
    These wanna bees are both wrong.
    I had a client who also insisted this was the way she wanted her saddle on the horse. I patiently explained why the saddle goes behind the shoulder blade. So he can move freely.
    That is why God made horses the way He did.
    Any horsemanship book will tell you the same thing.
    Wish you well. I know what it is like to have a Husband who knows it all.
    Regards, sadlmakr

Quote Originally Posted by Alterkeepquiet? View Post

How do I stop Hubby & Trainer from riding colt
    Step 1: Pull your big girl panties up firmly beneath your tatas
    Step 2: Repeat after me..."Since you nimrods don't even know about something as simple as saddle placement, you're clearly not qualified to start MY colt, and therefore you will no longer be involved in his training.
    Step 3: (optional, but good for added emphasis) Explain that the point of the tree impinging on his scapula is causing both pain and injury and demonstrate by pinching them both hard on their shoulders in the trapezius area, using the full force of your thumbs. Your horse would do it himself but he doesn't have opposing digits.

OP, is this your colt or your husband's?

If yours, just tell them to quit riding him, and put the freaking saddle the way you like it, end of story.

If your husband's it's more difficult. Even if you get a 2nd opinion, so what? If hubby believes Trainer, and Trainer has now gone to bat for their saddle position against you, they may not back down no matter what. They may say your expert is wrong, and Hubby may very well believe them - after all, it's just Battle of the Experts, right? And he already believes Trainer over you.
    Why not just sit down with Hubby, show him articles on proper saddle position, pictures etc. If you can't do that with your own husband, in a non-confrontational way, and have him accept it, dragging him to your chosen expert and having them essentially say "hah, you idiots are wrong" sure as hell won't change his mind.

While you are right.... Who is riding the horse? If it isn't you, than the person actually putting their butt in the saddle (and taking the risk of being bucked off your mouthy young horse) gets to adjust the saddle however they want to. If you want to adjust the saddle, your butt should be getting in it. If you don't like the way the saddle is being adjusted and you don't want to start the horse, then find someone willing to train your horse that will put the saddle where you want it. It sounds like neither your husband nor your trainer has any respect for you as a horseman.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    While you are right.... Who is riding the horse? If it isn't you, than the person actually putting their butt in the saddle (and taking the risk of being bucked off your mouthy young horse) gets to adjust the saddle however they want to.
    I have to rather strongly disagree with this. Putting myself in the OP's shoes and assuming that the horse is MINE, I may choose to have a calmer, more balanced, more X, more Y, less Z whatever rider do the first rides because that is better for the horse. Perhaps the owner is injured or pregnant or otherwise unable to ride and start the colt. Regardless, I buy the tack (have saddle fit training as part of my massage training) and I (that would be me, the owner of the horse and ultimate arbiter of all rules related to said horse) have sole and final authority over what tack is used and how that tack is fitted to/placed on the horse. MY horse.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    If you don't like the way the saddle is being adjusted and you don't want to start the horse, then find someone willing to train your horse that will put the saddle where you want it. It sounds like neither your husband nor your trainer has any respect for you as a horseman.
    Now, this part I do tend to agree with. Granted, since one of the offending parties in the OP's situation is her husband, this creates more challenges than the usual arms'-length trainer-client business relationship. But a trainer hired by me who won't abide my my educated instructions regarding such basic, but important, things as tack fit and placement is not going to continue being hired by me for very long at all.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

"NO", you tell them "NO!" Rolled up newspaper is also an option.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

I think you have received some sage advice here. First if you print off any photos of properly fitting saddle show them to your "trainer" and I am using that very loosely and your husband.

Second, ask them their shoe size. Then tell them you are going to go out and get them each a new pair of shoes, at least one size smaller than they normally were. They then have to wear them, with a 50 pound backpack on, not properly distributed on their back and run around for a minimum of 30 minutes to an hour, in circles, some straight lines, stops.... this is what they are asking this colt to do. The saddle fits the horse FIRST, the human second.

With the placement of the saddle there is no possible way a rider can be balanced. This fact that the colt is mouthy is irrevelant to the saddle fit-where it's being put currently. It may be an issue if he's being mouthy b/c he's trying to "say" his back hurts. Maybe whom every is riding him cannot ride the his larger gaits? Get a new rider and trainer-that's the easy part, you'll have to figure out what to do with the husband.

Get some balls and stand up for this colt.

Quote Originally Posted by kinnip View Post
    "NO", you tell them "NO!" Rolled up newspaper is also an option.
    I think I like this one.
    Simple, direct, to the point.

Did force hubby too look at saddle fitting blogs and he said "Okay, if it makes you happy we'll do it your way."

I guess for a man that is as close to a "You are right. I am wrong as I am likely to get."

Have appt with saddler sunday after next could have had it this sun but Carmageddon you know.

Well, I can hardly improve on Ogre's advice.

But if I am guessing correctly ( and only the OP knows for shure! :winkgrin )

YOU WERE WARNED ABOUT THE TRAINER.

My answer to the question "How does one stop trainer and hubby from riding colt with a saddle sore?" would be two part:
    A) stop paying the trainer. You're in Socal FFS! Trainers are like blonde bimbos there! Get another.
    B) if hubby continues to pay the trainer, stop "paying the piper", to put it in a "G"-rated term.
    If it ain't broke- TRAIN IT!