The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you be interested in doing this? why or why not?

I promise i'm not trying to market anything, I just want opinions.
    I'm an advanced rider, to begin with. I am trying to get "out there" in the training world. I have trained horses before, but for my riding coach, as well as worked with foals, problem horses, abused/neglected horses (owned one), etc.

I'm not in the financial position to own a horse, and i'm constantly seeing people complaining about 1. not having enough time for their horse(s). 2. not being able to afford training for their horse(s).
    So, my idea, and please be 100% honest about what you think about it, is this:

I was thinking, what if I offered something along the line's of a "free lease" BUT I would give the horse free training, (this would, of course, include the owner and I sitting down and discussing training options, and writing up a training schedule) in exchange for the owner paying for all expenses of the horse. This includes Farrier, Vet, and board, and anything that comes up.

What do you think? I know it's a long shot.. But I could give it a try? I'm not sure.

Sorry if this is kinda vague. feel free to ask questions to clear up any confusion.

Edited to add:
    The owner, of course, would be getting week to week updates on the horse, or less/more frequent updates if they preferred.

Not such a long shot - in fact I've done it a time or two now (that and actual FT free leases)! The individuals who have been happy with these situations were experienced riders such as yourself who cannot currently afford to own a horse yet are looking for something promising to continue training and show (and my current two jumpers are youngsters!); of course I benefit in that my horse continues to be brought along in my absence (ugh, work!)! I maintained all the usual expenses and my horses were kept in work. In fact, this winter I will probably do the same (fingers crossed, for the last time!)
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

So basically like sending a horse off to a trainer but with two differences:

1) You are free

2) It would be longer than the normal time a horse is sent off to a trainer

Is that about right?

What is the harm is trying to find such a situation? You may also want to aim advertising towards people who have horses for sale that they don't have time to work with or seem clueless at advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by naturalequus View Post
    Not such a long shot - in fact I've done it a time or two now (that and actual FT free leases)! The individuals who have been happy with these situations were experienced riders such as yourself who cannot currently afford to own a horse yet are looking for something promising to continue training and show (and my current two jumpers are youngsters!); of course I benefit in that my horse continues to be brought along in my absence (ugh, work!)! I maintained all the usual expenses and my horses were kept in work. In fact, this winter I will probably do the same (fingers crossed, for the last time!)
    Exactly! This is what i was aiming towards!

Quote Originally Posted by altjaeger View Post
    So basically like sending a horse off to a trainer but with two differences:

1) You are free

2) It would be longer than the normal time a horse is sent off to a trainer

Is that about right?
    Exactly! I would not be charging any fee's for me riding, or working the horse. The only thing being paid for was the expenses of the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    What is the harm is trying to find such a situation? You may also want to aim advertising towards people who have horses for sale that they don't have time to work with or seem clueless at advertising.
    That's a good idea! Thank-you!

I'm ecstatic that I got positive responses. I was, to be honest, expecting not so nice comments.

Well it IS CoTH, hahaha!

Many people in your shoes though and many people very willing to allow you to ride their horse essentially for free, when you're at least maintaining, if not progressing, their horse's training Some riders just enjoy the challenge and experience of teaching a horse and bringing it up through the levels when possible, even if the horse is not their own or the situation is not long-term. Start putting posters up in local barns!
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

I can certainly see some people being interestd in this. It's basically a free riding arrangement with someone of equal or greater skill than the owner (presumably).

I will raise a few questions with regard to how you would structure and market this "business." (Because you will need to take a businesslike approach if you want to be taken seriously.)

(1) An obvious point of contention would be the meshing of riding styles. If a horse owner seeks out a trainer to keep her/his horse tuned when time is short, the owner will choose someone well-known in her/his discipline of choice, who is a match to the owner in principles and techniques. For instance, someone seeking to keep their Fourth Level dressage horse tuned up is not going to seek out an individual who practices one of the "natural horsemanship" programs. Even if your services are "free," if you cannot match your skills and credentials to the market, your business will fail. So you will need to think about where you are the strongest and then study your local market to see if there is a sufficient client pool to make this worth pursuing. For instance, owners of competition horses are going to want show results and some recognized names as mentors/influences. On the other hand, a pleasure/casual trail rider may be more interested in someone with proven expertise in desensitization and preparing a horse for a more novice/more timid rider. So that is something to look at.

(2) Your scenario seems to presuppose a horse will be "boarded" with you. I assume you either own or lease property, making this feasible. I also infer that the horse owner will pay a boarding fee (you mention something about "the horse's expenses"). Is this the ONLY model you are considering? Would it not be equally feasible to be a mobile rider who can visit a few farms a few times per week to work your "client" horses. For instance, I own property. Assuming you were a match in terms of riding ability, education and style and I wanted help keeping a horse exercised, why would I want to "board" that horse when I (1) have a more economic situation at home and (2) am a control freak and prefer overseeing all aspects of my horses care? Even people who board may have strong reasons for choosing the stables they have, and may not want to lose their spots there when they get their horses back.

(3) Finally, and related to point Number 2 above, your scenario also seems to presuppose a "full training" situation, as when a colt is sent off to be started and the trainer does all the riding. But a more common scenario is the busy professional that has a hard time carving out time during the week to keep her/his horse exercised. In most horse communities I have experienced in ... well, quite a few years! ... this niche is much, much larger, and a potentially more stable client base/source of horses to ride, compared to the pool of those seeking "full training." So you may want to reconsider how you market yourself and look at offering this option. For instance, while I might occasionally have more horses than I can ride consistently, I would never be interested in turning one over to someone else full-time. The long-term, part-time rider who will come to your horse and help keep him exercised might end up being a more attractive option to more people, depending on your specific market.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

When I first moved states, I made a similar offer to a well-known breeding farm in the area that needed some help moving horses (which is a lot of them now). It worked brilliantly for me, I got a great relationship with these people, they recommend me to their friends and I get a lot of cred by saying, "Oh yes, I train for so-and-so." They sold some horses, I got a good start in the local scene, it was basically a win-win situation.

So yes, I'd say people will be interested.

Though honestly, unless you do find either a really nice young horse or a situation like mine, I'm not sure that you'll see much benefit except in that you have a horse to ride. You'll need to choose your situation carefully, especially to ensure that the owner doesn't take the horse back as soon as he starts going well enough for you to show off.

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    Though honestly, unless you do find either a really nice young horse or a situation like mine, I'm not sure that you'll see much benefit except in that you have a horse to ride. You'll need to choose your situation carefully, especially to ensure that the owner doesn't take the horse back as soon as he starts going well enough for you to show off.

I'm not worried about them taking the horse back whenever. In my point of view, it's their horse, they can remove him from the property whenever.

No, i do not own property. However I'm looking at a place just down the road for board. 400$ a month, for full, or 150$ self board. I would be able to do either.
    I do not own a car, which is why i would not be offering driving to barn's to train.

I do this for the occasional friend. Works out well as long as people are up front and communicate clearly.

Heck you can move in here!! I'll give you all the free riding you want. I'd even PAY you to do it!! We live at the end of the earth in Oklahoma where they hardly know what an English saddle is!!!! I had one really good H/J student, but "Daddy" bought her a sports car for her 16th birthday and I haven't seen her since!!!

Seriously - you should be able to get your plan off the ground, depending on where you live. Good Luck!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    Heck you can move in here!! I'll give you all the free riding you want. I'd even PAY you to do it!! We live at the end of the earth in Oklahoma where they hardly know what an English saddle is!!!! I had one really good H/J student, but "Daddy" bought her a sports car for her 16th birthday and I haven't seen her since!!!

Seriously - you should be able to get your plan off the ground, depending on where you live. Good Luck!!
    haha! this made me smile!
    I sure hope it works!

Hmmm idk. I don't think I personally would agree to that for the following reasons:

Because I could probably find someone willing to do a real "free lease" and pay all expenses with the exception of an actual lease fee.
    I have been in a situation where I needed to find someone to free lease my horse and usually the reason for this was that I didn't have the time or experience to work with the horse at that time but I didn't want to continue to pay expenses on the horse and I didn't want to sell it. So for me I would free lease a horse for the purpose of NOT having to pay board, farrier etc. See what I mean? Also, I think I would be more willing to take your offer if you planned on showing the horse and you were working with a reputable trainer but once again that's just my opinion. Best of luck!

I would find such a situation an interesting possibility only if you would come to where my horse is currently boarded and be willing to work on things with her suitable to my style and level of riding.

I would definitely be interested in this with my youngsters as time to work with them is a problem for me.

If money were a problem or for a riding horse already going then I would look more for a regular free lease where the leasee would pay for upkeep.
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Mare (chestnut at that!)
    '12 Genever - KWPN/Thoroughbred Mare

Where are you? Send me a video of you riding. come ride my horse! haha but seriously, people will jump on this if you are a good rider. Definitely get out there and find this situation.

People (like me) who work full time jobs and go to college full time are hard pressed to find time to train their youngsters.

With the right person, I'd be all over that! I have a quality young horse I'm trying to find a situation for (rather than sell) now. Good luck!
    Y'all ain't right!

Why don't you foster a horse for a rescue/shelter? This is EXACTLY the type of thing that would really benefit a rescue organization.

I actually did this exact same thing earlier this year. I am a college student and don't have the funds for my own horse now, so I figured I would work other peoples.
    I put up adds online and in the local tack shops that said I was an experienced rider looking for some horses in the area to work with. I got about 80 responses in two weeks of people needing help with their horses. About 50% were people asking me to break their horses for free... but there were a few really promising ones.
    I now work with a few of them, and it worked out that I have all expenses paid including all shows, lessons, clinics, tack.. I highly recommended this type of situation.
    As long as you can give great references and people can trust you with their ponies, it is a wonderful idea! You get the time in the saddle with no commitments, plus you get to help the owner fulfill their goals which is always wonderful to watch. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gustifer View Post
    Hmmm idk. I don't think I personally would agree to that for the following reasons:

Because I could probably find someone willing to do a real "free lease" and pay all expenses with the exception of an actual lease fee.
    I have been in a situation where I needed to find someone to free lease my horse and usually the reason for this was that I didn't have the time or experience to work with the horse at that time but I didn't want to continue to pay expenses on the horse and I didn't want to sell it. So for me I would free lease a horse for the purpose of NOT having to pay board, farrier etc. See what I mean? Also, I think I would be more willing to take your offer if you planned on showing the horse and you were working with a reputable trainer but once again that's just my opinion. Best of luck!
    Yeah, my thoughts were similar. Basically, they're letting you ride their horse.

Now, the one situation where I could see jumping on that is if you (OP) were a HIGHLY accomplished rider/trainer with a record of success in whatever discipline the horse is aiming for, where I'd be getting something with real monetary value. But I'd need to see prior results before essentially paying for everything for the privilige of you working my horse, rather than finding someone who's willing to pay the horse's expenses.