The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down People are SO rude!

I know this has been brought up before--I'm just venting, but a horse I used to own is being advertised for sale on the internet and guess who is riding!? Me! They used MY picture and me showing the horse, but that was ages ago! Who knows if he has shown since then...

Annoying! Is there seriously nothing one can do except watermark everything they ever put online to the point you might as well not post a picture?

Thanks for letting me vent...that and this freaking humidity--I think I am getting my first migraine in over a decade.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

oh man, that does suck..

makes you wonder about the current condition of the horse too.

it is a scammer? or someone who actually owns the horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post
    oh man, that does suck..

makes you wonder about the current condition of the horse too.

it is a scammer? or someone who actually owns the horse?
    That's exactly what my friend said when I sent her the link! She said, "I hope he's in the same shape today as he was in the picture." I hope so too!

It is a "real" seller.

I was going to raise a stink, but maybe he will find a better buyer/home with a show picture? He was a cool, athletic horse with potential that hadn't been tapped yet, I just happened to get him at the wrong time in my life (just out of school working 70+ hours a week) and had too much on my plate.

Still, really rude (and a bit misleading)!

If your face is clearly visible, and recognizable, then I believe you do have something to say "legally". I've seen sale ads with the rider's face actually blurred out of an otherwise clear picture. You might shoot them a polite email about how they need your permission to use your photo, or just take it as flattery.

I went through something similar a few years ago (someone using my pictures on her website) and general consensus was to let it go. It would be too much trouble to actually do anything about it. I did confront this woman about false advertising she did on a horse she had for sale. She just came up with another lie to cover herself, so I gave up.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

If you are using a photo for commercial purposed you need to have people who are recognizable sign a model waver. HOWEVER, if it's taken in a public place not so much... so at a horse show, it's kinda debatable.

Getting them to remove it forcefully, would be a little difficult, asking nicely will probably get you a whole lot farther.

Adding a watermark is actually VERY simple and you can do it was a free program like GIMP. Once you've got it designed (and it can be as simple as your name/screen name) you just paste it over any image you want to post.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

maybe they used it because they are like me and the only things that they can get pictures of are noses, butts, and other non-marketable things.

I kind of see what you are saying about public venues, but this picture was not taken by them or paid for by them at the show. I arranged to have my friend come take them for me (albeit for my personal use). It was just disturbing to see myself in a sale ad for a horse I have had no control or management over in years!

On the plus side my face is almost completely obscured because I am saluting the judge. I'm ok with it for that reason and because it sounds like he is not in show shape right now, but not neglected (I made a call) and it probably is the best picture (well except for MY other pictures)--so hopefully it helps him find a good home.

It doesn't bother me when clients use my photos. I always figure that I felt the photos I posted of the horse (or in my case, usually it's a pony) were good representations of the animal, and I hope if a new owner can't keep it, maybe my photos will help it find another good home.

Doesn't bother me a bit.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    It doesn't bother me when clients use my photos. I always figure that I felt the photos I posted of the horse (or in my case, usually it's a pony) were good representations of the animal, and I hope if a new owner can't keep it, maybe my photos will help it find another good home.

Doesn't bother me a bit.
    Same here. Normally when we sell a horse or pony, I give the new owners a disc with all of the pictures we have taken, professional photos, etc. And actually, we have a few new ponies on our website now using photos from the previous owners, but we did ask permission first.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

If you don't want the photo used, shared, or emailed around- do not put it on the internet.

Sorry but there is no "privacy" once something is on the internet and there is little to no discretion of private property. Don't want someone to reuse it, don't put it up- there's so many ways to copy, hack, steal, manipulate photos.

Default Just for fun...

have a friend respond to the ad, and ask buyer-type questions.
    Then have your friend ask the seller: Is that you (the seller) in the picture ?
    Seller will say yes or no. Next question: How recent is that photo ?

After a nice chat, your friend politely thanks the seller and reports back to you.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post

Doesn't bother me a bit.
    I agree. I don't think it would bother me, though I haven't had it happen. If the new owner hasn't shown the horse at all, or showed but couldn't afford pro photos, or none were available, then they need to put something up to nicely represent the horse. Hopefully your old horse will find a good new home based on how great he looked when you had him.

Neat idea Daventry, never thought of that!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post

After a nice chat, your friend politely thanks the seller and reports back to you.
    Really? I didn't realize we were still in Junior High!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

there once was an Irish Sport Horse Association, with a website, listing several mares belonging to PatO (columbus) and myself for sale on their farm
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Yeah... I don't see what the big deal is either. You posted the photo on the internet, the horse is her's and it does represent the horse does it not?? I would be flattered if they used my picture, especially if your the one who sold the horse to them it's not like she doesn't know you. I don't get what the big hype is.

I took a horse on trial when I was shopping, and had my DH take some video and put it on youtube so I could send the link to the owner as an update. I didn't keep the mare, and when she took the mare back suddenly there was a video of me riding her in the ad!

I took it as a compliment, and was just hopeful that the better video would help find her a good home. She was a lovely mare, just not what I wanted.

I understand your frustration, there was that split second where I was like "hey, that's me and she didn't even ask!". I also paid for a really expensive shoeing and a few hundred on a dental in the couple weeks I had her and didn't get even a thank you. People never fail to shock me at how they behave.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post

Sneaky -- I like it!

Yeah, I've saw myself on a horse in a dreamhorse ad once, myself, and did a double take. I found it amusing.

We once shot a pretty spectacular video for a lovely sale pony. Sadly, while the trainer loved the pony and did quite well with him, the children for whom he was supposed to be purchased for, could not ride him, so he was placed up for resale within a year being purchased. The trainer had previously called to ask if they could keep the sale video when they decided to purchase the pony and she called back to ask if they could use it in helping to resale the pony. We didn't mind, but probably would have felt differently if the people had not asked ahead of time to use the video.

I think I would feel differently if it were a photo of myself that I had purchased and they had not asked to use it as well.

As a photographer, it really annoys the crap out of me when people start with the whole "well it's on the internet, what do you think would happen?" bs. First you gripe because your proofs aren't online for you to see, then you spout off that because things are on the internet, you should be able to use them however you want without paying or even asking permission. Get over yourselves. /rant
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

If I saw a sale ad for a horse I previously owned, my first concern would be that the horse go to a good home, and a good photo helps attract buyers. I would not care if they use a photo of me on it.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    Really? I didn't realize we were still in Junior High!
    No, we are on COTH. I wasn't aware that there was much difference.