The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vaunted for sale and a question

Just saw on EN that Vaunted is for sale. I don't know much about this particular horse, but the ad had me wondering about price ranges of upper level horses.

For a horse that's actively competing at 2 and 3 star level and has been to Rolex I would have thought the price would be more than 70k.

Not that I will ever spend that much on a horse <cough> but 70k seemed pretty reasonable for a horse that's sound and ready to go I and A when I see breeders selling "upper level prospects" for 50 or 60k. It's rare to see actual prices in ads for horses at upper levels so I have no frame of reference...

Any thoughts on what are the going prices for I and above horses?

He's been for sale for over a year at a much higher price. The ad says he's for sale for financial reasons. I find it refreshing that she's willing to put a "reasonable" price on him and advertise it. We are in the market and there are a bunch of 60k novice horses and 150K Intermediate horses with sellers who must sell? I don't know whether they are worth it, but whatever the market will bear.
    I do think a lot of the pros don't want to price them lower, fearing their reputation will suffer. I also believe the asking price is not the selling price for those who really need to sell.
    Of course there are buyers with unlimited funds
    To add, soundness in Int horses and above is probably a relative term

I've been told that the price range for horses up to about 12 years old going prelim (no stops, not necessarily winning) ranges from 40k-75k if they look capable of doing more, so that price surprises me. that tells me that in this moment, for whatever reason, Vaunted isn't going for that much - so perhaps the top end of the market has gone down some.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

He is 13 years old and may require maintenance. She may want to appeal to riders/horsemen who will suit him and not necessarily whoever has the biggest pocket book. If she is financially in need, then lowering the price has the effect of widening the pool of available buyers.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I seem to remember last year he was listed for sale for $200K, and then had chips taken out of his ankle last spring. So who knows if there are any repercussions from that.

The horse ran Bromont CCI** with Ashley this spring. He was held at the Sunday jog and passed upon reinspection after a fairly lengthy conversation amongst the GJ. He then pulled 5 rails in showjumping.

Ouch...doesn't mean the horse wouldn't be great for a YR to learn on at the lower levels...horses have chips taken out all the time and successfully return to competing. IMHO it's a great thing that they are offering him at a reasonable price considering his experience.

I think he would be a great horse for someone looking for a moveup, educational ride. Even with his troubles this year I think he could easily take someone up through Intermediate. I respect her for not being selfish with the $ and I hope she finds a good solid buyer who will take care of her horse who she seems to love so much. It's a shame but he will teach someone the ropes and still love his job I'm sure. WISH I could afford. So wish.

Unless you have absolute FIRSTHAND knowledge of this horse, as in are the owner, saying ANYTHING about his soundness or state on a bulletin board is "hearsay". I would be very disappointed if I trained a horse to that level, and someone repeated a rumor or something about my horse publicly. Good event people are honest and caring and look out for one another. This is a lovely horse and great person and her reasons for selling are none of our business. It is appropriate to talk kindly about horses for sale, IMHO.

TBFTGOGGI.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Agree. Let's be kind to each other and take some of this "information" away.
    What a cool horse for somebody to enjoy.

My comment was not hearsay. I was at the Bromont jog, he was held, and he did then have 5 rails showjumping (the results of events are public).

As to the comments (not mine) regarding bone chips, surgery and maintenance... I'm going to guess the posters got the information off of Ashley's blog:
    http://ashleyadamseventing.blogspot....nit-still.html
    http://ashleyadamseventing.blogspot....res-thing.html

Whoever buys the horse is going to be EXTREMELY lucky. He looks like one of the most fun horses out there to teach a YR or ammie the ropes at the upper levels.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Unless you have absolute FIRSTHAND knowledge of this horse, as in are the owner, saying ANYTHING about his soundness or state on a bulletin board is "hearsay". I would be very disappointed if I trained a horse to that level, and someone repeated a rumor or something about my horse publicly. Good event people are honest and caring and look out for one another. This is a lovely horse and great person and her reasons for selling are none of our business. It is appropriate to talk kindly about horses for sale, IMHO.

TBFTGOGGI.
    You could ask any number of people who were present - the horse was held for re-inspection. It did go on to complete with a few rails. This is all factual, it is not hearsay nor is it a rumour. I think its really quite unfair for you to try and imply that some of the posters here are not good event people. No one has disparaged her or her horse.

For what its worth, the horse's issues with chips, subsequent surgery and return to work have been chronicled extensively on Ashley's blog. As a result, its there for all to see. I don't think its out of line for it to be discussed in the context of why a horse with an excellent track record and likely many more good years ahead of him is priced reasonably.

I'd also like to add that if I were shopping for that type of horse, Ashley's candor on her blog would not deter me. If anything, it would provide me some piece of mind and encourage me to contact her. ALL upper level horses have wear and tear, and it is very clear from her blog that she takes excellent care of Vaunted and puts his soundness and well-being first.

Day 3 was always his least favorite phase so those 5 rails may not mean much. That and the fact that his 4star days are probably behind his is likely why he's so reasonably priced. He sounds like an awesome horse who will make someone a very lucky new owner.

Vaughn and Ashley are a great pair and anyone would be lucky to have him.

Reading this thread I have my son's solid Prelim horse under priced His ad should be coming out on EN soon if anyone is interested.

Jackie

Yance,
    I don't know who you are but I assume you're a frustrated young rider and wanted to give you some friendly advice. Not really related to this specific post of yours (although it is yet another example of what I'm talking about) but more about your posting in general.

Most of your posts come across as disgruntled, sour and jealous and if anyone out there does know who you really are, it can't reflect well on you. As you seem to know a lot of these people, I really think you should think about how the subjects of your posts are going to feel about reading what you've posted before you hit submit.

The funny thing is I posted this before I saw your latest thread on Lauren Keiffer and perhaps this would have been an even more appropriate post over on that thread. One day your obvious glee over other's misfortunes is going to come back to haunt you.
    Last edited by NCRider; Jul. 17, 2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Just saw your latest thread

Some day I hope YOU have to sell a horse. I can't wait.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    Yance,
    I don't know who you are but I assume you're a frustrated young rider and wanted to give you some friendly advice. Not really related to this specific post of yours (although it is yet another example of what I'm talking about) but more about your posting in general.

Most of your posts come across as disgruntled, sour and jealous and if anyone out there does know who you really are, it can't reflect well on you. As you seem to know a lot of these people, I really think you should think about how the subjects of your posts are going to feel about reading what you've posted before you hit submit.

The funny thing is I posted this before I saw your latest thread on Lauren Keiffer and perhaps this would have been an even more appropriate post over on that thread. One day your obvious glee over other's misfortunes is going to come back to haunt you.
    Amen!
    Gwen Dean
    Area II YR Coordinator
    Lost Hounds HT Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post
    Do you, or anyone, disagree with what I wrote?
    I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post
    For the same $$$, said kiddo could bring over a very nice 6yo prospect going T or P... a few years in that and they're ready for the 1*, and would have somewhere to go after that.
    You seemed to have no regard for one of the biggest challenges in buying a YR horse for a teenager. In "a few years" many teenagers won't be in YRs anymore.

This is a lovely horse and I'm sure he will make someone a fantastic partner.

Ditto what NCR said.

Default Some working too late again musings and a comparison

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I've been told that the price range for horses up to about 12 years old going prelim (no stops, not necessarily winning) ranges from 40k-75k if they look capable of doing more, so that price surprises me. that tells me that in this moment, for whatever reason, Vaunted isn't going for that much - so perhaps the top end of the market has gone down some.
    I think the market is all over the place right now, but the price Ashley is asking for Vaunted is likely to get him SOLD and soon. If someone were not particularly motivated to sell they could ask more and not be laughed at.

Here is a somewhat similar horse for sale except this horse has won at advanced and represented on an international team.
    Scroll down to Exploring (Digby) http://www.laurenkieffer.com/sales.html

Diana Burnett also has a 3* horse for sale around that price point.

I initially thought Exploring's price was ridiculously low, but now I realize that the price range for an Advanced/3*+ horse is VAST. The ones that will win are a fortune. The ones that will play but not win are less so. Really the same as a prelim horse - that's why the range there is anywhere from about 20k-80k (I have a competitive prelim horse for sale for 25k because he is not push button on the flat). The highest performers are worth up to four times those at the lower end for that level.

IMO you also pay at least double for a horse who is on his way UP the levels and who hasn't achieved/reached his limit yet - often regardless of age. People are sometimes willing to pay $50k plus EXTRA for a horse who hasn't yet PROVEN HE CAN'T DO IT. Guess we all love to keep the dream alive, even if it's really a pretty bad gamble!

Quote Originally Posted by clivers View Post
    IMO you also pay at least double for a horse who is on his way UP the levels and who hasn't achieved/reached his limit yet - often regardless of age. People are sometimes willing to pay $50k plus EXTRA for a horse who hasn't yet PROVEN HE CAN'T DO IT. Guess we all love to keep the dream alive, even if it's really a pretty bad gamble!
    The way you phrased that really gave me a light-bulb moment.... Seeing it in those terms just made a lot of sense!
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods