The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are your must haves?

I'm probably getting way ahead of myself but I digress....in looking for a half lease I've also started browsing SmartPak again(I used to stop myself because it was torture). There seems to be a lot more "stuff" out there in general. So tell me, what do you consider the things you couldn't do without, for you or your horse? I know, I know, half leasing is far from owning my own.....but it's a step in the right direction. I have the basics for me, paddock boots, saddle, helmet, chaps(full and half), Mattes pad....what am I missing? Other then that I have no horsey stuff for the horse of my own at this point so I'm open to suggestions! Thanks everyone.
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Baby Pads
    Girth (the cheap fuzzy ones are my favorite)
    Polos
    Jumping Boots.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

It's really hard to say since leasing can vary.

The horse might come with his tack or some of it (bridle, bit, girth). And since he's owned by the barn (I recall from your earlier thread), they might provide his supplies (brushes, fly spray, boots/wraps, blanket/sheet, etc...). Or use of those items could be included in your lease fee.

That would be something to ask when you visit as well. What does the horse come with & what are you expected to provide?

Giddy-Up is right. Find out what the horse comes with.

It would suck to buy tons of stuff (fly spray, brushes, polos, ointments, baby pads, halters, the list goes on) only to find out that he has all of that stuff.

If you want to start shopping, maybe pick some colors you like and get him polos and a matching halter or something. I know how exciting it is--I would be shopping if I were you too!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Thanks ladies, those are vaild points. I'll certainly ask what he comes with/what I'd be expected to bring with me/have for him. It is veryyyy exciting just to think about getting to shop again.
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

hmmm...well as far as tack goes, pretty obvious. But, like others have said, if he comes with all that stuff you don't need to buy it!

Other stuff...I love Healthy Hair Care, great to have around for grooming. I also bought some good tack cleaning stuff when I was half leasing (ledersbalsam, castille soap, Leather New, etc).

And lastly...lots and lots of treats! My horse would shot death rays through her eyes at me if I didn't always keep her tub of black licorice well stocked

Default This is a long list!

My must haves:
    Leather Halter & thick cotton lead
    Two bridles
    Standing martingale
    Feiblings leather cleaner
    Lots of sponges
    ear plugs
    half chaps
    Paddock boots
    Boot socks - LOTS!!!
    schooling breeches
    spurs
    (2) girths and pads
    Helmet & Hair net (everytime I ride)
    Gloves
    Eskadron boots
    Coolers
    Fly Spray
    Cowboy Magic
    Ulcer Gard
    Bute
    Banamine, Dex & Syringes
    Hair Brush
    Pulling Comb
    Clippers
    Fly mask
    2 Winter blankets per horse
    Stud chain
    Longe Line
    Standing Wraps & Bandages
    Polos
    Ointment
    Sweatscraper
    Horse Treats

Now for the list of things I live without due to purchase of the above:
    Social life, lattes, manicures & new shoes...

Totally depends on what equipment the lease horse comes with. I wouldn't go around buying tack until you know what/if you need to provide anything (maybe a saddle pad or two, possibly open front boots). I think putting together your own grooming kit is a pretty good idea. A good curry mitt (or regular curry if your horse actually likes currying, unlike mine), good brushes, a hoofpick, hoof dressing, fly spray, mane/tail comb and detangler, horse treats, etc. I'm a little picky about the grooming tools I like, so prefer having my own.

Quote Originally Posted by busylady View Post
    My must haves:
    Leather Halter & thick cotton lead
    Two bridles
    Standing martingale
    Feiblings leather cleaner
    Lots of sponges
    ear plugs
    half chaps
    Paddock boots
    Boot socks - LOTS!!!
    schooling breeches
    spurs
    (2) girths and pads
    Helmet & Hair net (everytime I ride)
    Gloves
    Eskadron boots
    Coolers
    Fly Spray
    Cowboy Magic
    Ulcer Gard
    Bute
    Banamine, Dex & Syringes
    Hair Brush
    Pulling Comb
    Clippers
    Fly mask
    2 Winter blankets per horse
    Stud chain
    Longe Line
    Standing Wraps & Bandages
    Polos
    Ointment
    Sweatscraper
    Horse Treats

Now for the list of things I live without due to purchase of the above:
    Social life, lattes, manicures & new shoes...
    ^ This

GLOVES! I never used to ride in them and almost never had a problem... but when I took some time off and came back to riding, my hands got destroyed. Instead of sticking it out and dealing with the blisters, I decided to just suck it up and get some schooling gloves. So, now I always ride in a pair of crochet gloves. And I must say, it's really nice not having blisters or fingers wrapped in band-aids!
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Since it was a buy, not a lease, I did have to go get stuff.

Must-haves:

Rubber curry
    Metal shedding curry (I don't clip his winter coat off)
    Stiff brush
    Soft brush
    Hoof pick with brush
    Fly spray
    Roll-on fly spray for face
    Leather halter
    Lead with chain shank
    Lead without shank
    Lunge line (finally had to buy one of these)
    Shampoo of some appropriate type
    Betadine
    Scraper
    Towels

Saddle
    Pads
    Girth
    Bridle
    Bit

Helmet
    Boots of some sort
    At least two pairs of breeches or jeans
    Sunscreen

(I have also acquired/already owned side reins, several spare/wrong bits, a surcingle for lunging with side reins, and I currently have a whole box of Finish Line products I got in a silent auction like joint fluid and digestive aids. Also electrolites, wound ointment, breathing aids (which I may use as he's been known to cough) and calming paste, which I may not, as usually if he gets any calmer he'd be asleep.)

boots/polos. saddle pad(s). girth. saddle. bridle. brushes.

Well I will vent just a tad and say my "must have" is a SOUND HORSE! Okay thanks... now on to the fun stuff...

hair nets (so you look neat with your helmet on)

Helmet like a GPA or CO (so you look serious. I have a thing for helmets; not only an apperance thing, but a safety thing) This is where you need to splurge!

Black gloves (a good pair that work well)

Polo shirts (you can go to Target or a discount store and get soft colors with a taylored fit to make you look sharp)

If you cannot afford decent tall boots, a nice paddock boot with fitted half chaps.

Breeches (tan) there are some nice fitting ones depending on your build for under $70.00 that look nice with a polo tucked in. I like the lower rise with the big belt loops... (Grand Prix, Tuff riders, and Equine Couture are reasonable and fashionable)

A few nice belts. You can go to a discount store and find some nice ones. I think if you are at decent sized barn this is one item you can get "a little" fancy with... some sparkle.

I see you have a few of these things already

Now the horse;

White square pads

Black, navy, or green polo wraps

(yeah kind of dull but the beauty of the horse is the most important part so use a soft brush and make him shine)!!!

Oh and I love Vetrolin shine for the tails....

And if you are just having an issue of money burining a hole in your pocket - I am also a diva when it comes to bridles and REINS.... a really nice bridle of soft buttery leather is a MUST. And a matching standing martingale

Congrats and HAVE FUN!
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

Thanks ladies, keep the suggestions coming! I'm going to assume he comes with his own tack (bridle/bit/etc) but will absolutely consider buying my own girth, polos and grooming kit as I too like to have my own brushes. All things I'll find out on Friday when I get to go visit!!

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Congrats! I remember having to get some new stuff for my lease horse last year!

Here's my list of everyday necessities, (not show stuff)...
    For Me:
    -gloves, spurs, crop
    -boots, breeches, polo shirt, helmet

For Horsey:
    -grooming kit, (scissors, hard/soft brushes, metal mane pulling comb, gel curry comb, mane/tail brush, hoof pick with brush)
    -bathing stuff, (sweat scraper, sponges, shampoo, conditioner, show sheen)
    -square and baby pads
    -half pad
    -open fronts and polo wraps
    -bridle, saddle, leather girth
    -tack cleaner and sponges
    -ear net

A must for me is several pairs of great coolmax tall socks. SmartPak has them, but so do a lot of other online vendors. I keep a few thicker pairs around for winter when I ride early and it is cold (as cold as it gets in So-Cal!).

Same with gloves - 1 regular leather pair (I like the treadsteps because the cuffs are flat and fit under my shirt cuffs better) and 1 summer/cool pair.

I think everything else has been covered!
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

Grooming supplies! Even if the barn supplies them, it's always nice to have your own brushes, scissors, Show Sheen, fly spray, etc. Barn supplied brushes are never the same Also, it's always nice to have your own little first aid kit. I keep triple antibiotic, wonder dust, sunscreen, bandaids, and advil in mine. Among the other stuff I've accumulated (gauze, vetwrap, duct tape, epsom salts, etc).

For myself, it's been so hot that I went to Marshall's and stocked up on hot weather riding gear: wicking t-shirts and comfy sports bras for summer. The sports bras are amazing, they feel like I'm wearing nothing they are so cool. Definitely a must.

Oh! I almost forgot- tastefully monogrammed baby pads. I get mine from SmartPak and get the white with either a gray or tan monogram, so it doesn't stand out too much, but looks very nice. This helps especially in a boarding barn where sometimes things get misplaced. I monogram everything...polos, pads, etc. It really helps avoid that awkward conversation when one of the barn kids picks a pad to use and you have to be like "um, I think you are using my pad". If it's got your initials on it, it's way easier to bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedsAdvil View Post
    Oh! I almost forgot- tastefully monogrammed baby pads. I get mine from SmartPak and get the white with either a gray or tan monogram, so it doesn't stand out too much, but looks very nice. This helps especially in a boarding barn where sometimes things get misplaced. I monogram everything...polos, pads, etc. It really helps avoid that awkward conversation when one of the barn kids picks a pad to use and you have to be like "um, I think you are using my pad". If it's got your initials on it, it's way easier to bring it up.
    Good idea! AND a good reminder when at a public type situation - sharpie to put your name on your grooming stuff and underside of pads and maybe order some bridle tags with your last name or halter tags etc so your things don't grow legs!
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

Tack cleaning supplies. If you're using your own tack, you'll want to keep it nice, and if you're using someone else's, you should be keeping it in top shape. I like to keep a cleaning spray like Belvoir or Leather New to wipe down the bridle, girth, and breastplate daily, then regular glycerine saddle soap for weekly saddle cleanings and a high-quality leather conditioner.

I didn't catch if the horse belongs to the barn or to a client, but bringing your own saddle pads and boots/wraps is always appreciated so the owner isn't stuck doing extra laundry or cleaning. If he doesn't have his own brushes, those are a good thing to get (spend the extra couple bucks and get natural bristle instead of synthetic, it really does make a difference!) with a good rubber curry and solid hoofpick. Fly spray, shampoo and detangler are good as well.

For you: clean well-fitting breeches, tidy boots, and a well-fitting helmet. You really can't go wrong with a polo and belt, but once you're there you'll be able to assess what the atmosphere is and inquire about the dress code. If it is your preference, some schooling gloves (I like crochet gloves for summer) and a crop.

ETA: It's always good to check in with the owner before you buy things for your lease horse in case they have preferences. I leased a horse once that was allergic to neoprene (what a pain to find affordable schooling boots) and another that reacted to most shampoos, conditioners and detanglers. In the same vein, check in before using the owner's gear- some people don't care, and others prefer that you use your own.