The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

hALTer@X Guest

Default Feeding meds in capsules

My vet has prescribed my allergic horse an antihistamine, and gave me a big jug of capsules, with the instruction to break open the capsules and feed the powder. He's getting a dozen 2x a day and it took me forever last night to make up 5 days of doses.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking of getting a cheapo coffee grinder and buzzing the capsules. Good idea? Bad idea? Other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by hALTer@X View Post
    My vet has prescribed my allergic horse an antihistamine, and gave me a big jug of capsules, with the instruction to break open the capsules and feed the powder. He's getting a dozen 2x a day and it took me forever last night to make up 5 days of doses.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking of getting a cheapo coffee grinder and buzzing the capsules. Good idea? Bad idea? Other ideas?
    Maybe I don't understand the question? How long does it take to open a capsule?

If you horse is not a fussy eater you could try just putting the capsules whole in a wetter sort of "mash", but the easiest way is just to open 'em.

Or cut them open with a sharp knife or Xacto knife (carpet knife).

I have one horse that can find a grain of medicine in a hay stack. I mix powder meds with a handful of cut up apples or carrots with a bit of grain covered with molasses and hand feed it to him. Messy but it gets into him. You could use your grinder to mix everything I guess. Use LOTS of molasses.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Depends on how well the grinder is going to handle that hard "plastic like" coating on the capsules.

I've used capsules before (Benedryl), all I do is cut the very end off the capsule using scissors, and pour out the powder into what ever I am mixing it into to feed to the horse. It doesn't take very long.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

If they're simple gelatin capsules, a coffee grinder should handle them. I'm not sure, however, that this would be any faster than just popping them open. Many are in two halves and just pull apart.

Another alternative is to feed them in something wet, where they should dissolve pretty quickly. Wouldn't work in a typical boarding situation where food is just dumped, however.
    Click here before you buy.

Yes - pull the capsules apart. It's easy. Just make sure your fingers are perfectly dry before you handle the capsules. Keep a towel or a roll of paper towels handy.

You can get comfy and make up a few doses in separate plastic baggies while sitting in your kitchen if you like.
    --o0o--

If your horse will be on this particular medication for a while, you might look into having a compounding pharmacy make you capsules such that a single capsule contains an entire single dose.

My horse was (and is still) on melatonin and I had to break open six capsules daily... it got old really fast! I went the compounding pharmacy route -- it was more costly but was a huge time savings. It also meant that if I couldn't be there to prep the feed, I could in good conscious ask for help, something I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing if it involved opening multiple capsules!

Uh, try just chucking the capsules into the grain. More horses will eat medicines in original (small) tablet or capsule form. I am assuming these are hydroxyzine... I've fed them straight in the grain, horse didn't even notice them, and they don't "taste" bad, whereas the medicine inside often does.

A lot of horses will eat tablets, even smzs, in their grain. It's always worth a shot, and save yourself the hassle.
    I'm not really at the top of my game today. I'm not even exactly sure what game I'm supposed to be playing, in fact... or where it's being held...

My horse's antics iamboyfriend.com

I cut up a carrot or apple into pieces, and then punch a hole in them with a cherry pitter. Stuff the capsule in the hole and toss them into their food bucket, or feed them straight. Just make sure (especially with apples) that you "serve immediately" before they start to dissolve.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

When my horse was on 50 capsules/ day for Lyme, I poured hot water over the capsules and melted them. Then mixed the solution into his grain. Worked like a charm. Opening 50 capsules every day for a month was so not happening.