The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunting Clinic this weekend: What is appropriate dress?

Hi guys,

I'm new to the hunting scene. Actually, I've never hunted at all before. My only hunting experience was when I was a kid, I did some sort of hilltopping mock hunt and the pony I had who was normally a dream on trail rides had a total meltdown and nearly flipped himself over a couple of times and I was not invited to go out again.

I spent a lot of years doing hunters and jumpers and just never had a horse that would have been good at hunting. My one great jumper would have been great at it, if he didn't try and stomp on dogs, and my other great horse would have been perfect but our local hunt did not allow stallions. Last year I started dabbling in eventing, and this spring I ended up with a really cool Irish horse in a weird series of events and I think I might finally have a horse to hunt!

I figured if I'm going to go out, I might as well figure out how to do it right, so I signed up for a clinic.

So my question is: what does one wear to a fox hunting clinic? Boots, breeches, and a polo or oxford as I would to a normal clinic?

What should my horse have on? Square pad, fitted pad, boots, no boots?

Thanks in advance!

Boots, britches and a non-red polo shirt should be fine. The hunt won't care about the saddle pad although some version of white would always be acceptable.

You'll hear this I'm sure at the clinic but boots are not considered a good thing in the hunt field. Polo wraps are definitely a bad idea.

A fitted pad would be better.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    You'll hear this I'm sure at the clinic but boots are not considered a good thing in the hunt field.
    Really? I thought I'd read about several members here who hunt in boots. Did I get that wrong?
    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Very few people I know hunt their horses in boots. They don't mix well with water crossings and mud!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Really? I thought I'd read about several members here who hunt in boots. Did I get that wrong?
    Many folks boot their horses. It's a matter of personal preference and also depends on the needs of your horse and the territory in which your particular hunt conducts their activities.
    I whip in, and sometimes I boot, sometimes I dont. We have one territory with an old orange grove on it and lots of crap on the ground left over from the irrigation system, and some downed fence lines. There, i use boots. I would rather a boot get tore up than my horses leg.
    If we hunt a territory that is more sandy, then I don't use boots. I use woof boots so it doesn't matter if they get wet or not.

OP, this is clinic not a hunt. if your horse normally wears boots, and you feel more comfortable with it, put them on. But I definitely agree, polos are a big no no in the hunt field.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Thanks guys!

I never use polos, I think they just get wet and trap heat in the summer, and I don't like them. I was on the fence about boots, particularly bell boots as we seem to be losing a lot of shoes this year.

Thanks again.

1 horse in 100 is booted in Virginia.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

well unfortunately for the rest of us we all aren't or can't be so fortunate as to be hunting in Virginia. Although it is the Mother Land, as it were, this is a large country with lots of varying terrain and ground conditions. Just because they do or don't "do it" in one place doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't elsewhere.

Just as county varies, so do riders and horses, and some things are just a matter of personal preference and what works for you and your horse.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin