The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarder leaving, my horse will be alone

I board at a private residence and the only other boarder is moving next week and taking her horse with her. My old gelding will be alone and not sure when or if we'll get another boarder in soon or not. Hoping he transitions okay to being the sole critter there and that its just temporary. Anything I can do to make things easier on him? He usually whinnies and walks the fenceline a bit when she takes her guy out for a ride but then generally settles down because he knows his buddy will be back. They are in separate stalls but stand next to each other along the fenceline a lot. The plus side is my gelding will have more room to meander around since I can open up both turnout areas and stalls for him.

I think if he settles down when she takes her horse away to ride he will be fine. It will be hard on him for awhile though.

Adopt a pony or another horse. There are so many giveaways now with this economy. (Yes I do board and yes I did get another horse. Altho we are at a barn with many other horses and ponies.)

My mare has also been alone since the neighbors moved. She seemed a little dull and wandered the pasture a lot, but lately as we've been busy outside she's been sticking her nose in whatever we're doing because it's the only game in town and more interesting than staring off into the distance.

I'm looking to buy her a companion horse since I really do think she'll be happier. Driving back and forth work to home all the horses I see are traveling in pairs or as a group, and I know that's their natural condition.

Other threads have discussed goats, donkeys, ponies, minis; all have pros and cons, and some horses dislike and try to injure goats, donkeys, etc. Sometimes a cat or dog works - our mare stands where she can see the dogs.

Maybe in the meantime just spending as much time as you can with him will help.

I'm going through the same issue! I moved him into my own barn last fall. Got him a companion. Companion isnt' working out for her own reasons. My guy is a mama's boy with "only child syndrome". People tell me not to get another that he'll be just fine. I can't decide....

Default thanks

nm, wrong post!
    Last edited by Grace67; Jul. 12, 2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: wrong board

Sorry, I know the feeling too.

Perhaps help the effort and find another boarder or retiree to that up the empty stall. Talk to training barns, trainers, feed stores and get the word out that a space is available.

Question

maybe foster a horse for a rescue (they should pay some of the costs)
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Just PM me your address and I'll mail you one of mine. Specify your preferences (would you like a neurotic gelding, an alpha mare, an ancient mini that gets along with anybody or a pony that needs a muzzle?) I'm only sort of kidding!

My gelding is alone (gave away the somewhat crazy paint 3 weeks ago) and seems to be doing fine. He's got the dogs, the chickens, the cats, the neighbor's cows, and us for company and seems pretty happy with us. I don't want another horse right now, but am open to getting either a boarder or a goat if he shows any signs of distress. But, even when I take him to the arena he doesn't get that excited about the other horses so it seems that we're okay for now.

I live in Missouri and will have to move as soon as my friend sells her farm

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by baylady7 View Post
    maybe foster a horse for a rescue (they should pay some of the costs)
    This would be my suggestion. It is what I plan to do when my retirees finally cross the bridge, and I need a companion for the younger mare.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams