The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Attaching your show number to your jacket?

I'm new to showing and curious how does a person attach your show number to your jacket?

I know safety pins are a no-no. I've seen people using a string around the wait or little magnets.

What's proper and what works best?

If you're showing H/J, a string is the only way to go. Anything else will make you stick out like a sore thumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

And if you're at a Morgan show and use string, people will think that your number is falling off and quickly alert you.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

String. I don't like the look of the magnents (not to mention you can get string at most shows for FREE). And safety pins are certainly a no-no if you like your jacket what-so-ever!

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    And if you're at a Morgan show and use string, people will think that your number is falling off and quickly alert you.
    For sure...haha!

String! I put the string through my number, then slide the string through one of my jacket's button holes, and tie!

Quote Originally Posted by indygirl2560 View Post
    String! I put the string through my number, then slide the string through one of my jacket's button holes, and tie!
    I do this as well. Keep in mind that in a flat class you may be asked to slide your number to a certain side. Should you safety pin or use magnets you will not be able to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by indygirl2560 View Post
    I do this too! There are still the odd show around that give us bridle numbers and those I love best.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I used to pin it when I showed. (Ironically, now I dance, I have much better tricks for centering it and making sure it moves with the coat without either wrinkling, as the guys have generally mastered how they want their numbers and I'm doing the pinning, not the wearing--only gentlemen wear the numbers.) The string was annoying and the magnets would make me paranoid one or more would fall off.

I've never heard of magnets for attaching your number - how does that work??

Being a H/J world person, we only use string. (In the jumpers we pin to our baby pads)

Many years ago when I showed other seats, western and saddleseat, We used fancy pins to fasten them to our attire. But the pins tore up my clothes.

The magnets are designed by the western world people, they are fancy on top and super strong.

So, If you are doing any form of H/J showing, not mini-trial, not breed show, not dressage, not 4-H, use the string the show office provides to you for free.

Definitely string for the hunters.

For Saddlebred breed shows, custom magnet pins, and a nice touch is to take scissors to the number itself and trim the edges so that it makes a nice rectangular octagon.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

String. I've never heard of the magnet method either!
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

String in the H/J world and in hunter 4-H classes. I once had a judge at one of our State 4-H horse shows that announced that all numbers had to be worn on the riders' backs for the hunter under saddle class, otherwise that individual would not be judged. He apparently did not enjoy the saddle pad number holders employed by many of the quarter horse circuit riders.

I too use string but make sure when you go to the show you take a leather hole punch, black string and a pair of scissors. Some of the numbers are big and need to be trimmed down or might not have holes for the string to run through. And often I have found they don't provide the sting. Some do and they are the black shoe lace type and I hang on to those.

You can use your leather punch to make two holes on the middle of each side, run the string through making sure where the number is the string is behind it. Then like others have said, run the string through a button hole and tie in a bow under the front of your jacket then button that button.

Have fun.
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

string- tie it around the middle button of your coat and then hide the bow inside the coat.

Quote Originally Posted by kmwines View Post
    String in the H/J world and in hunter 4-H classes. I once had a judge at one of our State 4-H horse shows that announced that all numbers had to be worn on the riders' backs for the hunter under saddle class, otherwise that individual would not be judged. He apparently did not enjoy the saddle pad number holders employed by many of the quarter horse circuit riders.
    In our 4-H, you'd be an oddball if you ever used the string. For any style. And a few people would pin it to the pad for speed classes, but as a rule, it was pinned to you back. (I saw one girl at the local fair here using the pocket in the saddle pad, but it just looked a bit odd as no one else did.)

Quote Originally Posted by kmwines View Post
    I once had a judge at one of our State 4-H horse shows that announced that all numbers had to be worn on the riders' backs for the hunter under saddle class, otherwise that individual would not be judged. He apparently did not enjoy the saddle pad number holders employed by many of the quarter horse circuit riders.
    Those English pads with the weird shape so you can hang the number on it are the most ridiculous looking things ever. Why don't you just put a western blanket/pad on and be done with it? Those English pads look like some sort of hybrid cross between a nice fitted fleece pad and and work pad. Just stupid.

Disclaimer: I used to show QHs, so I get that the QH people do things, how shall I say it, non-traditional. But some things are just in bad taste. Those pads are one of them. Take a good look at the profile of your horse trotting by and tell me how good that pad looks vs. a nice, fitted, white, fleece pad. What's next? One of those pads in colors to match your coat?

Okay...rant over.

Go Fish, aren't those funky (ugly) pretending to be fitted number show pads required at QH shows? I know the appaloosa rule book says that your number has to be on your pad in US classes.

I agree, they are ugly.

I am firm believer in strings, and only strings. If you give me a number that does not accommodate a string (like at an open show) I make it accommodate a string.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Go Fish, aren't those funky (ugly) pretending to be fitted number show pads required at QH shows? I know the appaloosa rule book says that your number has to be on your pad in US classes.

I agree, they are ugly.

I am firm believer in strings, and only strings. If you give me a number that does not accommodate a string (like at an open show) I make it accommodate a string.
    I think how the rules read is that you are to use the funky pad IF you want to put your numbers on the pad. There is no rule prohibiting a fitted pad with the number on your back.

I showed a friend/trainer's horse in the HUS several months ago with the number on a string. I placed second out of 17, so it must have been okay.

I think the number on the pad thingy took off when all the women riders started wearing those slinky, spangled $1K shirts. They didn't want to poke holes in the fabric with safety pins.