The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Default Lost Dog in VA - after a car crash.

This made me so sad:

Haymarket, VA - Please keep your eyes open for a missing frightened, large white dog involved in fatal car accident in Haymarket, VA.

On Sunday afternoon a car crash in the 3100 block of James Madison Highway claimed the life of one driver and sent a dog who had been in the vehicle running in terror.

Prince William County Police are now on the lookout for the missing dog - a Great Pyrenees.

The dog had been riding in a Dodge Caravan which was involved in the fatal crash - the dog bolted from the scene.

The driver of the Caravan, Charlotte Brown Perry, 72, did not survive. A passenger in the vehicle was flown to an area hospital.

Anyone who may have spotted this traumatized dog is asked to phone the police at (703) 792-6500.
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...125352468.html
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I posted this to another BB that has alot of VA residents. Hopefully the dog is found and the passenger's injuries arent fatal.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by PiaffePlease View Post
    I posted this to another BB that has alot of VA residents. Hopefully the dog is found and the passenger's injuries arent fatal.
    Thanks. I too hope the passenger survives.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

How awful. Add my prayers for the passenger, and for finding the dog. If anyone is in that area/knows the people, it might help if they could leave some clothes/blankets from the owners near where the accident happened. Often dogs will return to where they last saw the owners.

I hope this dog is found and that the passenger survives. Family members should check the accident scene daily and leave a piece of the owners clothing at a safe difference from the road.

One word people: CRATES

And although my dogs travel in wire crates, plastic crates are safer as there is less chance for a limb to go through an opening and be snapped if the crate goes flying. Doesn't matter if the dog is big or small. Small ones go flying through the windshields in sudden stops (before I crated, my 1st jack sailed from the back of my station wagon to the front seat when I was forced to slam on the brakes and shifted me into neutral in the process!) and even big dogs can be relocated to the harm of the passengers. Not to mention getting loose after the crash.

I've now read the link and yes the dog was crated but the accident forced the crate open. Not sure how that happened, but my advice about crates still stands. Also, knowing that stretch of road, sometimes it's better just to be patient and enjoy the beautiful scenery!
    Last edited by Kryswyn; Jul. 12, 2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: read news article.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

The linked article says the dog was indeed crated, but the crate was damaged in the accident and the dog escaped.

Also note that the photo posted with the article is NOT the missing dog, just a picture used to illustrate what a GP looks like.

Very sad.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

There was an update in the comments that she has been found.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin