The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

ponygrrl Guest

Question Saddle Fitting

Hey all--how's the heat?

Anyway, I would love to know if there are any saddle fitters out there that are unaffiliated with a particular saddle company. I have a friend that is training with Schleese but who wants to eventually offer fitting that is not necessarily brand-based, but what might be best for horse/rider. This has my curiosity peaked as I'm also trying to find a saddle that fits my short-backed big shouldered Connemara-TB mare...

Is there a one-stop shopping school of thought that can offer basic rules--don't push here, stay outta there--type thinking to get more information? While I would love to have $5000 to drop on a custom saddle for my mare that I can't test ride till it's done...

Short answer: yes, there are independent saddle fitters who do not rep for a particular saddlemaker. I am looking into becoming certified myself, so that I can add saddle fitting to my massage business.

You might have to hunt around a little. Bill Wood is one that may go to your area at times: http://www.thesaddlefitter.com/. If he doesn't travel that far anymore, he may be able to recommend someone to you.

My massage mentor Mike Scott is also an independent saddle fitter and runs a saddle fit school; he may be able to point you toward someone qualified in your area, as well: www.saddleguy.com.

You can even check with some brand-affiliated reps. Many of them (Scheese, for instance) provide pretty good training in fitting. And there are some fitters who start repping for a particular company, but are happy to work with other saddles, as well.

Good luck!
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

ponygrrl Guest

Thanks--that is helpful. Will look into those two!