The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OK, Indiana boarding barns, I'm ready for you to show your faces!! - a vent

After a long, exhaustive search, I finally moved my horse from one boarding barn to another. New barn seemed to be pretty much everything I wanted. Awesome ring, nice pastures, great care, room to ride on the property if I wanted. It was a bit expensive but worth it to me for what I would be getting.

Well... less than 2 weeks after I moved there (and was already in love!) I found out that ALL the boarders have to leave by July 31. SERIOUSLY?!??! I was, and am, so upset. But circumstances are out of my control, so now I'm stuck searching for a barn again.

There was one other barn I considered that had space at the time, but now their stalls are filled. There are two other barns I'd like to go to, but their stalls are filled too. I DO NOT want to go back to the barn I came from, now that I know how good it can be!

Why oh why aren't there more barns north of Indy? I don't have any idea what I'm going to do.

So... if you know of anything, please tell me. Otherwise, thanks for letting me vent.

Are you on the north side of Indy or on the north side of the state? Where are you?

I'm originally from outside Ft. Wayne and might be able to help you there. I'm on the south side of Indianapolis and am struggling to find much. Right now I've got my horse at one place but just accepted a job in Columbus and would like to move her closer to there, but no dice.

I don't know why it seems like such a struggle in this state to find good, SAFE places to keep our horses.

I am on the north side of Indy (Westfield area).

The only barns that seem to be nice enough are barns that have resident trainers and require you to be part of that discipline/lesson with their trainer. I don't want that and can't find a good, SAFE (like you said), place to board where I can still ride with whatever trainer/discipline I want.

Like I said, there are a few that fit this, but they are full! (And have been for a while - I've been checking for a long time).

So frustrating.

Is IRUS Stables in Lebanon too far for you?
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa.Hare.Jones View Post
    Is IRUS Stables in Lebanon too far for you?
    Yes, but it's in the back of my mind if I can't find anything else closer.

What about Brian at Sport Horse Inc. ? I believe they are in Westfield and the facilities are nice!

I'm on the Indiana side of Louisville, and I assure you it's not any better down here.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

RedMare -- I know it's still quite a bit north of you but do you know any barns in the Columbus area? I've found one but I can't seem to get in touch with anyone there.

Thanks!

I also wanted to add that I've heard REALLY good things about Brian at Sport Horse Inc. I've never personally been there but have driven past taking my mare to Jansen Vet Clinic and it looks nice. Closer to Sheridan, if I'm recalling correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessyka89 View Post
    I also wanted to add that I've heard REALLY good things about Brian at Sport Horse Inc. I've never personally been there but have driven past taking my mare to Jansen Vet Clinic and it looks nice. Closer to Sheridan, if I'm recalling correctly.
    Honestly???

I agree his facility is BEAUTIFUL. Just amazing.

I have heard not so great things about his training. I don't want to stir the pot but he does have a little bit of a reputation around here.

It's always possible that what I've heard was more geared to his facility. Really the people that I've heard say good things have been ones who attend his schooling shows. I guess you'd have to go watch him train/school yourself to find out how you feel about it.

Where exactly are you looking? A friend runs a barn in New Pal and another runs a barn in Zionsville/Westfield. Both have indoor arenas. I know of several other barns in the Zionsville/Westfield area that might work for you too.

Zionsville/Westfield area is where I'm looking. As long as they don't mind if I keep my own trainer, then I am open to pretty much any ideas in that area!