The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tell me about your horses' Sacroiliac Pain, Symptoms and Treatments! Thanks!

My horse has been having unexplained issues lately and we are thinking he may have sacroiliac problems. I am curious to hear from people who have experienced these kinds of problems with their horses. Please tell me about the symptoms, how your vet diagnosed your horse and treatments that have worked for you. Thanks it would be greatly appreciated!

Nuclear bone scan.
    My TB had a fracture of the ilium, very tough to diagnose, it sometimes looked like his stifles. The big symptom was an unwillingness to truly step under himself, such as at the canter, he would be a fraction of a second late bringing his hind legs forward, and then would go scrambling off fast and on his forehand till you could rebalance him.
    I decided to give him some serious time off and while I haven't started him back yet (its been 2 years) he is definitely looking good and sound in the field.

Good luck?
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.