The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Triple combination across my family rm. floor or where to buy jumps for kids??!

Hi, as the mom of two pony crazed kids who are starting to jump big jumps on foot, I would love to get a set of pretty, easy to move, and not too expensive kid jumps. I've seen some online but they're about $500 for three jumps...too much!

Ideas, suggestions......I know other parents have had to deal with pillows, poles and rubbermaid boxes strewn around the house!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

My sister and I made a set- perhaps not suitable to be seen in the living room, but I'm sure they could be made to look better if you had the time to invest. We saved plastic milk jugs, poured them half full of concrete, and put a piece of PVC pipe in the spout of the jug. Let the concrete harden. Drill a hole in the PVC pipe at 18", and every three inches higher. For cups we used PVC connectors and long nails, and for poles, more PVC pipe striped with duct tape. They are now serving admirably as makeshift jumps and weave poles for a very makeshift agility dog...
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Back when my daughter was younger, we made a nice set out of pvc pipes. Used colored tape to make some of the "rails" colorful.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

3/4" or 1" hardwood dowels, painted brightly. They'll find plenty of things to support them on. Cheap, safe (sprained ankles if you step on them on the floor is biggest hazard). Be careful with PVC; if light (schedule 10) it can shatter, and it shatters with very SHARP fragments.

Default ebay

You can find some dog agility jumps on the internet for not a ton of money. You can also make your own, it isn't difficult.

We bought some off of ebay and then added to our collection with PVC and electrical tape from Home Depot. We made the ones from Home Depot PVC bigger than the dog jumps as the kids were jumping pretty high at that point in time

Have to say that this was one of the Christmas gifts which got the most use!

alterationoffrustration Guest

you could use curtain rods as poles and milk crates for standards. You could get the slightly more expensive (but way less than $500) curtain rods and let the kids decorate the milk crates to make them look nicer! You could also hunt for some appropriately sized sticks outside, although make sure they're bug free! Winter is a good time to get those fallen, ice covered branches sans bugs.

You sound like a fun mom! Letting them practice jumping on the ground may even help them see their distances when they're actually jumping on horseback!

Be careful not to jump them too early....might lead to soundness problems later on!

When I was a kid, I used the cardboard tubes at the center of wrapping paper rolls as my jump poles. Pros: very cheap, very safe, can double as swords if pony kids decide to fight. Cons: have to be replaced as they wear out.

I just used chairs and books and furniture as standards, but I'm sure others have better suggestions for those.

Thanks! The dog jumps would be good but my older daughter is already clearing 3'3 easily! I haven't seen dog agility jumps that are higher than this. I think the milk crates and dowels could work well and look fun if decorated.

Renn, yours sounded like they'd be heavy but long lasting?

Ha! Back when we used to walk 25 miles to school barefoot in the snow, we used sofa cushions for jumps. Hit one of those and you ended up face-planted in the harvest gold shag carpet!

Trust me, the sofa cushions are getting well used as standards. My Poodle gives the kids a withering look every time "her couch" is in disarray.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxiford812 View Post
    Ha! Back when we used to walk 25 miles to school barefoot in the snow, we used sofa cushions for jumps. Hit one of those and you ended up face-planted in the harvest gold shag carpet!

If you are coming to Charleston anytime soon I have a used set I would give you.

I have made tons of dog agility jumps--they are very easy. If you google "How do I make a dog agility jump" you will find lots of free plans for making jumps. One website that is useful is http://www.australian-shepherd-lover...ity-plans.html.

My kids used colored electrical tape to add stripes to the poles. These jumps are easy to move (can definitely go in a living room) and last forever.

Good luck!
    Rafiki
    "Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." --Leonardo Da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Stono Ferry View Post
    If you are coming to Charleston anytime soon I have a used set I would give you.
    You have a PM.

Wait..what's wrong with laundry baskets and brooms??? I am very jealous of your kids! I would have loved to have the real thing when I was a kid!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

My dad made mine when I was younger! Then me and my friends had the fun of painting them!! And then my big brother and his friends destroyed them

An excellent way to help sharpen your daughters' eyes and find the jumps. I'm thinking you may not need that 'northern' trainer now they'll be so deadly accurate.

How about dog agility equipment? I know they use some jumps.