The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hanging fly strips so don't get the birds...

Hi,

Any suggestions as to how to hang fly strips in the barn so I don't catch the birds?

I have a ton of baby swallows who are learning to fly (4 nests worth this year - yeah!)

I want to hang some fly strips to catch the few flies in the barn, but I am paranoid about catching one of my beloved baby swallows! They use the barn and loft for flight practice.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Give them a week or two to master their wings, and then put the strips up. You've lasted this long, you can last another week and not have to worry about silly babies stumbling into them.

I agree. Let the babies fly off, then tackle the fly problem.

Our swallows just took flight a week or so ago. They were in and out for three days, and then they were gone. Two adult swallows were restructuring the nest yesterday, so we are wondering if another brood will be hatching this summer. Instead of hanging the tape, you could always tack it up along the juncture of the wall/ceiling (if you can get up there) so it snares the roosting flies at night without harming the birds.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I have a ton of baby swallows who are learning to fly (4 nests worth this year - yeah!)
    Ha! You're beating me! We had one nest last year and 2 this year. Our little ones havent taken flight yet. The newest nest I dont think has hatched yet either and its right by my main door into the barn so we have to watch that we dont upset Mom and Dad as we are coming and going ...

Never thought about the babies flying into the fly strips. Good point ...

I don't use the fly strips. I prefer the quick strike fly bait strips. They are more $$$ but they work for months if kept clean and dry. I also use the fly eliminators by Arbico Organics around the farm and compost bins. They have made a huge difference!! Congrats on your baby birds!!

Thanks for the responses!

I'll look into the Quick Bayt bait strip. Sounds like smaller risk to my birdies. And I'm just starting to see flies so I think I can wait until the babies are all safely out.. Although, I think 2 pairs are starting a new batch.

I had a phoebe nest in an easyboot last year. That was very cool! And I have a robin nest's (with parents) in my overhang.

I SO love the birds! They make me smile....

My husband and son really were wondering about me when I kept talking about "my birds".

Then they were in the barn one day and watched about 10 or so adults swooping and flying all over the paddocks and barn and now they understand!
    Last edited by Loves to ride; Jul. 11, 2011 at 08:13 AM.

I made 'tubes' out of chicken wire. I 'drop' the fly strip into the tube and hang them up. After I caught two bats on the sticky fly strip I needed to protect the flying critters.

I love "my birds" too!! We have Purple Martins, hummingbirds, Blue Birds, Cardinals and some silly finches that have built a nest in the hanging light on our front porch My fiance also brought me down to the barn last night to show me a bat in the barn

We had a similar bird problem.... We hung old CD's right by the fly strips. They seemed to scare the birds off but the flys still got stuck to the strips. Granted, these were hung in the doorways to the outside and kept the birds out so not sure if it would work if the nests inside or not, but we never caught any little ones on the strips!
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

I use those bags with the smelly stuff in them -- you just add water. They attract a ton of flies. For some reason, I feel guilty killing anything by having it stuck to glue, but that's just me. Pathetic, I know. Drowning can't be much better.

I cannot imagine doing that (glue) to a rodent. Sick!
    Last edited by Bacchus; Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Default Fly tape

I put them on the water bucket hooks and need to replace them almost every week, for some reason it is one of my best, most productive fly catching areas and they won't catch birds.

I think it is almost time to hang one from the rearview mirror of my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by My2cents View Post
    I made 'tubes' out of chicken wire. I 'drop' the fly strip into the tube and hang them up. After I caught two bats on the sticky fly strip I needed to protect the flying critters.
    This is what I did after catching a titmouse (who is currently at the wildlife rehabilitator's place). BTW, she said to use acetone to get birds off of fly strips.