The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equine Canada's riding levels

I was just reading the thread on the riders levels....One of the posters included a link to Equine Canada rider levels....

I thought it was well put together and I really liked the different steps in not only riding but horse care and stable management as well.

How ever I have two questions: ( and I was only at level five! I am finishing it tomorrow! )

1: What is "the short diagonal"?

2: In the level 5 it says the rider should know the 5 different rein aids. (2'3") 5?!?! I am tired but I can't name 5!!! Can the rest of you fill me in here?

I am hoping that my lack of sleep and the crazy amount of heat we have had is the cause for me to scratch my head. I full plan on banging my head on the desk when I read the responses tomorrow and realize that the answers are obvious and I just wasn't thinking.

The short diagonal is from E to F or B to K, etc. on this diagram

As to rein aids... I can think of opening rein, direct rein, indirect rein, neck rein (is that the same as indirect?) and bearing rein which I think is the same as neck rein...

I never took the tests but I have all the books somewhere... I will try and find them tomorrow!

I do believe a pulley rein is another one. Been a long time though.

Rein aids: bearing (neck), pully, indirect, direct, opening

PM me if you run into anymore questions, I've done all the exams.

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    The short diagonal is from E to F or B to K, etc. on this diagram

As to rein aids... I can think of opening rein, direct rein, indirect rein, neck rein (is that the same as indirect?) and bearing rein which I think is the same as neck rein...

I never took the tests but I have all the books somewhere... I will try and find them tomorrow!
    See I must have had to much heat....I was reading this and thought oh that's an E to F diagonal...then two seconds later I had no idea what it was

Same with the rein aids. Looked it up and then about smacked my head on the desk...

i think it is time for bed and thank you COTH for humoring my very exhausted self