The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

With all the conversation that's been present on this BB regarding the 100 day test, both positive and negative -- I'm surprised both reports were so ... so ... so laudatory.

I'm not trying to stir things up, I'm just a bit confused. I thought there were a lot of unhappy stallion owners. Was I wrong? Is this a PR exercise? Sorry to be dense ...
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

With all the conversation that's been present on this BB regarding the 100 day test, both positive and negative -- I'm surprised both reports were so ... so ... so laudatory.

I'm not trying to stir things up, I'm just a bit confused. I thought there were a lot of unhappy stallion owners. Was I wrong? Is this a PR exercise? Sorry to be dense ...
    "For God hates utterly

NO comments? Hmmm. What do you think, OM?
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Obviously, I've said the wrong thing? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif Sorry. I just didn't understand. If I've offended or misunderstood, I'm sorry. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif
    "For God hates utterly

OM, don't worry about it... Yes, the articles are very laudatory. errrr, fairytailish, in fact. Major spin. With all due respect to the owners and the stallions, of course.

The investigative report by the FNASHR is complete. I have read it. Very interesting. The reported problems were independently verified. All the registries who are members of the FNASHR were sent a copy. You should call your registry and see if they will send you a copy. I do believe it should be available to the public.

Oakleigh

What investigation? About what? Please do tell what sorts of problems were noted. Or PT me or refer me to prior posts with the various concerns. I am very interested as a possible future stallion owner...
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

buschkn,

I called my registry and asked for a copy, just like Oakleigh suggested.
    "For God hates utterly

Well my registry, being totally German-based, is not a member of FNASHR. They would've been happy to share a copy of it if only they had one.

Can someone please tell me where I can get a copy?
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Oldenburg MOM....you wanted to talk to me???? send me an email... OK?

regcorkum@mfi.net

Thanks, Reg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oldenburg Mom:
    buschkn,

I called my registry and asked for a copy, just like Oakleigh suggested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will they send you one?

I definately want a copy and will be contacting registries and hope to find one willing to send out copies.

This information should be made public.

I wrote to ISR/Old asking about the report and was told if I had "serious" questions about the testing I should ask them, not listen to gossip. So I don't think they'll be providing me a copy of the report. I am just an interested individual thinking about buying a stallion and trying to learn all I can. Their reply to my inquiry indicated to me that I may have hit a nerve. No idea. Just trying to learn.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buschkn:
    I wrote to ISR/Old asking about the report and was told if I had "serious" questions about the testing I should ask them, not listen to gossip. So I don't think they'll be providing me a copy of the report. I am just an interested individual thinking about buying a stallion and trying to learn all I can. Their reply to my inquiry indicated to me that I may have hit a nerve. No idea. Just trying to learn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that is interesting. I think we can now lay the urban rumor aside that the NAFSHR is managing or controlling the 100 Day Test.

Does this mean that the investigators and the NAFSHR are "gossipers" just like the rest of us "women"???

ISR/OLD is not the only member of the NAFSHR and here are the links to other members.

I emailed each of them with a request for a copy...I suggest everyone and I mean everyone do the same. It should be a public document and if enough people ask for a copy I think it will be made public.

Here is a link to member email links...

NAFSHR member email links

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buschkn:
    I wrote to ISR/Old asking about the report and was told if I had "serious" questions about the testing I should ask them, not listen to gossip. So I don't think they'll be providing me a copy of the report. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

buschkn, ISR/Old's reply to you was disrespectful toward the North American Federation. As I understand it, the investigators were two representatives for member registries. I believe SWANA and Selle Francais did the investigation. To refer to their Federation sanctioned investigation as "gossip" is discourteous, disgracious, ill-bred, ill-mannered, impertinent, and impolite. Who signed that email?

There needs to be a 70 day test here in the US, but as I understand it this one needs improvement. Seems to me if the people running this test make an effort to show that they want to improve it, then it will continue and thrive. If they refuse to admit that there is a problem or room for improvement, then the stallion owners here in the US will not put up with this arrogant attitude. The testing will cease to be supported. Americans won't pay this much money to be treated like this, nor should they.

just some random thoughts
    Alicia

Well buschkn - why didn't you just ask the questions you wanted answered. I don't read the response that they are denigrating any inquiry - they are encouraging people to ASK those involved and perhaps not just post on bulletin boards.

After the last go round on this - I felt rather "duped" to find out some people failed to reveal some rather relevant facts.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ise@ssl:
    Well buschkn - why didn't you just ask the questions you wanted answered. I don't read the response that they are denigrating any inquiry - they are encouraging people to ASK those involved and perhaps not just post on bulletin boards.

After the last go round on this - I felt rather "duped" to find out some people failed to reveal some rather relevant facts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have tried to get questions answered from FST,LLC representatives with no success despite having scheduled face to face meetings. I know of at least two stallion owners who sent correspondence that went unanswered.

Although one stallion owner reported in one of the articles that communication was just dandy at the 100 Day Test many of us have found it to be quite unsatisfactory. I understand that the report of the NAFSHR notes that communication was a problem that needs correction.

However, ise@ssl I will make one last attempt at asking specific and direct questions in writing to FST,LLC and its members (ISR/OLD and the AHS).

In the meantime I will hopefully get a copy of the report from NAFSHR on the 2004 100 Day Test.

Ok - Im going to put my flame suit and body guard on before I even start to reply....but here I go:

I have been in contact with some of the stallion owners and I know some of the stories first hand.....some even have video tape of some of the situations in question, so its more than just rumors. I know many are going to come back and get ugly with me and that is fine. Im willing to battle this out as it needs to be brought out in the public. I know several people who are going to post and/or publish for public view the investigation papers, so soon it will on the internet for all to read.

The stallion owners dont want talk on public BB's about this and for good reason...not to mention do not want to have to do battle with Ekkehard Brysch as it was put that he would "ruin me!" Is that the way to run something like this? Make them fearful of what someone could say? Also mafia like, IMO.

Finally to say, If I were the owner of the stallion who was chased around the roundpen by an ATV I would be mounting some pathetic little german head on my wall!!!

Flame away if you must, but be ready cuz I've got tons of ammo....
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Well said STF!!!!!!!!
    Some of the stallion owners are caught between a rock and a hard place. Honesty or the rath of their registery.

While the European registry officials hold all the cards, it does not give them incentive to answer to, or listen to concerns of American breeders and stallion owners. If people truly had another realistic option in this country, there would be effort to work with Americans to collect that $$.

We have had registries that work like the Jockey Club, Arabians, and QHs giving confidence to buyers (and European registries) to accept those registry's papers as proof of pedigree. Many people don't pay the fees to register their eligible Warmbloods. We need an option in this country to inexpensively register Warmblood horses based on pedigree that is run by a highly respected BOD. If a group of BNTs from several disciplines got behind a Warmblood registry, many people would begin to utilize that as an option. When that happens, the European registries will be MUCH more willing to listen to concerns of those that would like to continue to follow the European methods. With a single American registry, there would also be an organization to invest in promoting American bred Warmblood horses.

If the ATV incident is true - then it is better to get everything out in the open - even if means completely derailing the current system.

No 100 DT test is better than one that involves grossly inhumane treatment (let alone unacceptable training methods).

The horses welfare should always be of primary importance.

Well, I guess I DIDN'T ask the wrong question.

I promise I am not trying to stir up a lot of bad feelings. But I am part owner of a stallion prospect. IF, and it's a big IF, I decide to send him to the 100 day test (and my partner agrees) I want to be well informed about what happens.

I have to admit, it bothers me a LOT that for $2,550 training board per month EXCLUDING vet and farrier, there is no turn out. I don't care if they ARE stallions. The maximum number of horses the test accepts is 30. In 48 hours they can't manage to turn 1 horse out in 1 paddock for 1 hour? Hmmmmm. What's wrong with this picture? I don't care if the fence has to be 10 feet tall. 1 paddock. 1 horse. 1 hour. It's not a lot to ask.

Anyway, this is an outsider's view. I admit I am very very ignorant of the ways of the horse world. I am, however, very good with money. And budgeting. $2,550 per month should buy a HECK of a lot of service. JMHO.

Just to put this into perspective...anyone know what George Morris charges for training board at Hunterdon? Hmmmmm?
    "For God hates utterly