The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default seriously in need of dressage saddle advice

After a nice long stint in hunter/jumperland, I'm (grudgingly) back in eventing with the no-longer new OTTB. (I've had him like 2 months now, I really can't call him new anymore). Since I no longer own a dressage saddle, I need some serious advice on where to find one on a budget.

Right now I just have my Prestige. Fits me and horsey wonderfully. It fit me a little better on the now retired infamous Appy, and my leg stayed in perfect place. Now, on the flat aboard the oh-so-narrow TB, my leg slips forward a little since the stirrup bars are further forward. Still perfect for jumping because then my leg is magically back where it should be, but just not going to cut it for my dressage tests.

Things that make saddle buying for me and the horse more difficult: I am extremely hard to fit. I have crazy long legs, a long femur, but am only 5'2 on a tall day and extremely slim. I use a 16" but could easily fit a 15.5". Horse is very narrow (the Prestige's tree is a medium narrow, he goes with a fleece half pad right now since he's building up topline). I personally am not big on the Cair or adjustable gullet saddles, although my Prestige can be adjusted by a Prestige-approved fitter. I also am not big on Wintecs... Just don't like the feel of them and really don't like them.

I'm not really looking for custom since his shape will change and (in theory) mine will as well. I'm also not in a huge time crunch as his Training move up is hopefully this spring, and until then I'll make do with the Prestige.

So basically, I'm in need of suggestions and (even better!) links to saddles on eBay or other sites.

TIA!
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Black Country Eden!!!

I have a prestige event to jump in and just got a prestige 2000 D for dressage. Love it.

I've also had a rembrandt (now Classic Saddlery), that worked well. and a Wintec Isabel that I hated. (although I've ridden in 2 wintec jumping saddles I really like...)
    Yes, I ride a pony. No, he's not a re-sale project...
    http://fancyponypants.blogspot.com

I love my BC Eden as well, although they are not cheap. If he's a narrow thing, how about a Steubben -- they've always been too narrow for my big-ribbed horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Dee Trrr View Post
    I have a prestige event to jump in and just got a prestige 2000 D for dressage. Love it.
    I had a Prestige 2000D for a while and loved it too!

Right now I have a Stubben Maestro and really like it as well. I'm selling my Maestro, but it would be the wrong size for you. They are a nice saddle though- but a little hard to find used, at least that was my experience!
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Rick's has some amazing deals for smaller seats.
    Camels spit, Mary, camels - Catherine Haddad "Dressage Critic

Thanks so much everyone!

We are on the search as well, with limited budget. We too have an OTTB, that said, Passier was suggested but have not found one to our liking for our budget. So my saddle fitter dropped off a Courbette for us to try and so far so good. It's not the best but is doing the job and fits horse well. Not everyone likes them, but I think it's something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by wishnwell View Post
    We are on the search as well, with limited budget. We too have an OTTB, that said, Passier was suggested but have not found one to our liking for our budget. So my saddle fitter dropped off a Courbette for us to try and so far so good. It's not the best but is doing the job and fits horse well. Not everyone likes them, but I think it's something to consider.
    Lol in my book, if it fits horse and rider well and can do the job, it's fine by me! Glad you've found something that works, I'll have to take a look at Courbettes.

You could try a Roosli. We have one that fits all the more TB types perfectly. Beautiful saddle and so well made.

I have a slightly ridiculous temporary fix to suggest. Buy a couple of martingale stoppers. Cut the long parts off so you end up with a little square chunk of rubber. Remove your stirrup leathers and put one or two of the stoppers on the stirrup bars, then put your leathers back on. This will put your leathers back at least half an inch, could be more depending on how wide your leathers are. You might also try adding a shim to the front of your saddle pad.

A Prestige is a terrible thing to waste!

ETA: If the saddle was perfect for you on a different horse, it most likely just needs to be adjusted for better balance on the new horse.
    Last edited by TheHorseProblem; Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Try a Stubben! They're usually relatively narrow. I'm 5'5" and have long legs also and I love both of my Stubbens. I have the CC Siegfried II and the dressage Aramis (its basically a Tristan with upgraded leather).