The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking I'm coming out of the closet! Livin' on the DL.

I've secretly and not so secretly loved draft horses - as inappropriate as they can be for dressage. Sitting a draft makes me so happy and relaxed.

I've trying to reconcile my desires - PSG -with my attraction to drafts. I've been looking at heavier TBs as a compromise, and willing to form a relationship with a TB. They're lovely horses, after all, and it's not that I dislike them, I just like big butts. Unfortunately what I've found is that even after settling for the narrow horse, a mere glimpse of a big butt (there was a thread about a new dressage prospect) makes me want to stray. I figured a good compromise would be to get a heavier TB and go out and ride other people's drafts on the side (livin' life on the Down Low ).

Came to a head - resulted in tears of frustration with one of my trainers. I was gently reminded by good friends from here, other online sources, and the real world, that I should get the horse I want. The permission was euphoric. I started looking again at horses along the lines of what I truly wanted - draft crosses.

Inside of 2 days I've found, test-ridden, and put a deposit on a big chestnut Percheron cross. http://www.adamshorsesales.com/about.html

Ahhh: it feels so good to come out. I'm here, I like drafts for dressage, get use to it!

Mind you I haven't told my BNT yet Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Oh I'm drooling! Congrats! I hope he's the perfect horse for you! I LOVE BIG BUTTS TOO!
    Kim
    www.GallopingGrape.com
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Default Sir Mix Alot horse edition

I like big butts and I cannot lie
    those other horses I can deny
    but when a big butt comes trotting in
    I go nuts!
    Last edited by rizzodm; Jul. 8, 2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

And that's the darned truth! I was looking at those narrow horses and picked out some promising ones and was even imagining the things I could do with them. And then someone says "hey look at this big guy" and I'm out the door.

There's a feeling when I sit on a broad back and feel the boom boom of those feet striking the earth.... I feel like I can do anything. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m48GqaOz90

Hey now, Boom Boom Pow should be our first freestyle!

Paula

Congratulations! Your gonna love him. I have a Belgian paint cross that I bred and raised who is turning out to be an incredible horse. Her full older sister had the better sport horse conformation, but didn't get the brain this one has. This one, while somehow missing out on the height (she's only 15.1), slightly downhill, and with a longer back than I'd like, has probably the best brain of any horse I've ridden in almost 30 years. So I can live with her faults. She even moves half way decent for a draft cross despite her build. She won't win any FEI classes but I see no reason why she can't do decent lower level stuff. She has a huge heart, she's very forgiving, and seems to love this journey as much as I do. Every time I ride her I pinch myself that I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful mare. Literally.

I can't wait to hear about your adventures with your new boy.

My Petra
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petra1.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	33310  

She's got a long back for sure, but if she's downhill it's got to be only very slightly. I bet she can pick up that front end! I love her color too. Does she dapple?

I exercise a very very downhill QH for my equitation trainer and I can get her round (lots of lateral work and a very correct canter depart). So if Cajun can, Petra can. We'll see each other in the ring!

Paula

He's interesting. Any idea what he's crossed with? (I have my suspicions ) He won't win any dressage suitability prizes but there's something quite endearing about him!

I have a TB with a massive butt. I always tease him about it. It has a big white Tetrarch spot on the left check, which makes it look even bigger.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...H/IMG_1208.jpg

But we all have to follow our star. If drafts make you happy, go for it.

That is fantastic Paula! ....and good for you for getting the horse YOU want! He looks completely adorable, 3 solid gaits, and full of try. I'd bet a lot of 'mulla' he is draft crossed with a saddlebred or morgan...which makes me love him even more! Hope you have many years of fun with him.

She's a mare so I can give her a little slack on the back. She's strong through the loin area and solid as a rock, hence the name. She came out a chunky little monkey so I knew she would be stout when she grew up. Yes, she dapples nicely, actually is dappled in the picture but the shine is hiding them. She's a dark, dark, bay almost black. Perfect color. I have less than 8 weeks on her so far and she's just amazing me with her willingness and decidability. Actually, she's not, it's one of the nice things about most drafts, that wonderful accepting mind.

Congrats & good luck from another big butt lover My girl's booty is even larger and I can't wait to start dressage with her (she currently has a foal by a large butted Irish Draught who is currently with Tom Dvorak at I1 - so don't rule out big butts in the upper levels )
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    Congrats & good luck from another big butt lover My girl's booty is even larger and I can't wait to start dressage with her (she currently has a foal by a large butted Irish Draught who is currently with Tom Dvorak at I1 - so don't rule out big butts in the upper levels )
    Love Steeped in Luck RID!

Sophie, link above, is by Touch of the Blues RID
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Congrats!

I, too, have been lusting over some heavier breeds (Shire, Cleveland Bay) and I've almost made up my mind to buy one. Even if we'll never place at an A/AA Hunter show.
    The dude abides ...

He's so cute. I would have bought him too.

I've known quite a few very kind, tractable Belgian crosses and temperament is always high on my list! Enjoy him and be sure to post updates.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    Congrats!

I, too, have been lusting over some heavier breeds (Shire, Cleveland Bay) and I've almost made up my mind to buy one. Even if we'll never place at an A/AA Hunter show.
    Be sure to check out Irish Draughts too
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Go Paula! You should definitely get a horse that makes you happy...any time I start contrasting what I "should" do with what I want to do, the words of a very wise trainer float back at me..."This sport is too damn expensive to do if you're not having fun!"

I'm on the other end of the spectrum and like itty bitty Arabs, but whenever I get comments from so-serious dressage trainers about how the horse isn't appropriate, I innocently ask, "But can't dressage improve any horse?" I find it gets the point across. If they press the issue, I proceed by pointing out that I'm not trying to get onto the Olympic team, I'm just trying to enjoy my dressage time.

It does get better, too. Eventually you will get the reputation as the crazy [insert breed here] lady and people will leave you to enjoy your nontraditional breed in peace. Or maybe that's just me.

Well, CosMonster, I never thought I was in the closet but what the hell. Here goes. I love my Arabian, I ride him dressage and he does very well. The best thing I love about Arabians is that when I fall off of one, it's not so far to the ground as when I fall off a warmblood ;-)

I will admit to having an epiphany several months ago. At the time I had been riding a leased QH/Appy cross. A friend of mine allowed me to ride in her Hulsebos saddle atop her very lovely and tall Hanoverian. It was like driving a Jaguar after I'd been on a riding lawn mower. I remember thinking...now THIS is a horse. When I got home my husband took one look at my face and said, "I am screwed, aren't I."

Well, I no longer am leasing the QH/Appy. My little Arab isn't a Hanoverian, not by a couple of hands, but he still is nice and comfortable.
    The best thing to do on a golf course is a GALLOP!

Thanks, guys. Being out feels soooo good. I need a draft pride sticker or something for the truck!

Regarding his cross -it's something interesting. I'm thinking he's not 1/2 draft, but maybe 1/4 draft, or he's a very lucky, refined 1/2 draft. And he's crossed with something interesting. He's too tall and has too much neck for a QH cross. I was wondering if it was a TB cross, but you're right he has brilliant self carriage. I do know a full perch (a pmu horse) who floats across fields. He looks like a giant Fresian. So it is possible he's got the carriage from his Perch heritage. My equitation trainer wondered whether there was TWH in there, but I don't think it's that. I'm liking SB. The trot is just freakin' divine!. I think Morgan you might have lost the size? The sales video says 16 hh, but I think this is one of those rare instances where that was underestimated. The seller is quite tall, and I'm 5'8". I'm thinking this fellow is 16 .2 or so.

Keeping my fingers crossed on the PPE.

Paula

Congrats Paula!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble