The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Going to the dark side...

Long time hunter rider hoping into the jumper ring! Can someone give me a crash course on the basic rules (i.e. can i go through the timers before the whistle is blown?), the various tables (II.??), and current trends (I'm already eyeing up a GP soft shell jacket! Are ear nets in or out?)? I'll probably stick to the schooling divisions this year, but would like to do the AA jumpers next year.

Thanks!

The AA's? You may want to first learn the rules and reg's as your questions are all covered in Jumpers 101..........I'm Just Say'in

Yay, you will have so much fun! Get yourself a USEF rulebook, and read it. Go to shows and watch for "fashion trends". Your trainer and/or barnmates will probably be the biggest help in answering specific questions in your zone.

To be honest, I show the jumpers and I have no idea what the different tables mean, lol.

When you hear the first buzzer it means you have 45 seconds to start jumping. You need to wait for the buzzer before going through the timers. And during th time waiting for the buzzer or during your 45 seconds you can tour the ring as you wish and show the horse the jumps. There are immediate jump off classes where you do the jump off right after you go clear without leaving the arena, again wait for the buzzer, and then you have 45 seconds to start. Then there are return of jump off classes where you do your round, come out, wait for everyone to finish and then you go back in after to jump off. There are also power and speed classes where as soon as you finish your first course (power) you immediately continue to the jump off (speed) portion.

As for trends, jackets with colored lapels or piping are really in. Soft shell definitely. For schooling classes solid colored polos tucked into breeches with a belt is usually what is seen. Ear nets are definitely in (and not because I make them am I saying that ). White saddle pads are the norm, but you see many with the custom piping of the barn colors. Ogilvy or thinline pads seem to be pretty common as half pads. For the horses boots not many are using sheepskin any more, I think it is too annoying to clean. Veredus, equifit and gygax are very common ones, or just plain leather ones with a leather lining or removable lining. Running martingales are popular too, and darker colored breastplates, and ones that are more leather than elastic are very in.

Hope this helped!

Quote Originally Posted by HoofaSchmigetty View Post
    The AA's? You may want to first learn the rules and reg's as your questions are all covered in Jumpers 101..........I'm Just Say'in
    I disagree. When I started doing the jumpers it was at local C shows, but my third jumper show was HITs Saugerties...and I got second out of 40 in the level 2s. My mare was a saint and I owe it all to her, but its not like the rules were hard to figure out.

Don't jump anything until the buzzer goes off. Make sure you go through the timers. In everything but classics you'll be fine in a tucked in polo. Avoid sheepskin boots at all costs; you'll be picking footing out of them for years to come.

She said AAs, not AOs... sounds perfectly reasonable to me, especially if she's been doing the 3'6 in hunter land.

Make good use of your time! When you hear the buzzer, you will always have 45 seconds to cross the start timers for 1st course and for jump off. Don't get razzed up when you hear the beep and dart off, take your time and plan it out.

For simplicity, you can remember the most common classes this way:
    Table II - II.2.b is time first jump-off, 1st course, then a buzzer, then jump-off if you were clear
    -II.2.c is "power and speed" where you treat the first 1/2 of the course as a 1st course in a traditional II.2.b class, then at about midpoint, if you're clear and within TA, you cross a second set of timers and finish the course in jump-off mode.
    Table III is speed, faults converted into time penalties
    Table IV is optimum time (rarely seen except in YJC classes, and pony jumpers)

The Ch/AA ARE Jumpers 101. Good lord, way to be helpful and encouraging.

Read your rulebook. You want to be prepared for all eventualities, so that you're not standing in the middle of the ring yelling "what do I do NOW?" to your trainer (not that that's uncommon ).
    Know where your start and finish timers are, and where the shortest path to cutting the line lies. Sometimes one timer is closer than the other, and you can shave some time by aiming toward that one rather than the further one of the set. Avoid meandering through them in your entrance, even if the buzzer hasn't sounded yet,. You can't be sure of when they're going to sound it, and not all operators pay attention to where you are in the ring.
    Watch as many people do the jumpoff or the speed as you can. You will learn to see where you can make up time.
    Sometimes it is NOT faster to go inside.
    Many people leave some time to be had between the start timers and first fence.
    Remember, even during the first round, that time alloweds generally do not let you make hunter turns. I can't remember how many time faults I had in my first childrens jumper class, but I do remember my trainer explaining to me that maybe my route could be a little less scenic.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    I can't remember how many time faults I had in my first childrens jumper class, but I do remember my trainer explaining to me that maybe my route could be a little less scenic.
    Too funny! You see this every year, particularly when there is a local medal finals around and all the kids are practicing in the Children's Jumpers.

Listen for the bell -- I show jumpers and I can't tell you how many times I have been thinking about the course and not heard the bell. I can tune it out. Until I think it's been a little long since i entered and have to yell over to the in-gate about whether the judge rang the bell or not. Yes, I'm that spacey. I'll just call it single-minded.

Tables:
    II, 2a: leave after first round, come back for jumpoff (classics only usually)
    II, 2b: jump first round, if clear stay in for jumpoff
    II, 2c: power and speed, if clear over first X jumps, continue to timed portion of course
    I forget the table for a plain speed course (Table III?), but that is all jumpoff, no first round. Rare until the Jr./AOs.

There are others in the rulebook but I'm not sure I've ever ridden them. The first 3 are by far the most common.

And most of all, have fun! Don't blaze around, learn to ride a smooth course taking advantage of the lines. Learn your horse's style -- some are gallopers and some are turners, few are truly remarkable at both. Plan your horse's jumpoff accordingly.

Make a plan. A good jumper plan is more than outside, diagonal, outside, diagonal. You need to plan the ride in to make the distance flow. don't just think about the course, think about where you are going to need to rebalance, where you are going to need to shorten, where you are going to need to increase your step. That should be part of your course when you envision it in your head. Something like, "Ride forward past the gate to the oxer at 1. Get a good gallop for the bending line at 2-3. Half halt after 3 to rebalance, go inside the brown vertical to 4. 4-5 is a bit tight so steady on the approach, sit up after 4 and make sure canter is bouncy. After 5, roll back left to the in and out on a nice pace, the distance is easy. When you land after the out, look immediately for fence 7, a triple bar, and ride forward to the base. Land and immediately half halt strongly to get him back for the vertical at fence 8"....etc. Getting on a rhythm and trucking around is usually not an option if the course designer is doing his job.

Have a great time! The jumpers are a blast.

Hello... I said schooling divisions this year, for that very reason... And I've already printed off the USEF rulebook. Was just looking for a few dos and don'ts. Thanks for your advice.

Thanks for all of the helpful tips and advice. I read the rulebook last week (at work... haha) but my question about the timers was more can I go through the timers, to the far end of the ring, before the whistle is blown? When I come back across to approach the first jump, will that trip the starters?

The reason I ask is because at the first little schooling jumper show I went to a few weeks ago, they just had 1 set of timers, set on either side of the ring. Wasn't sure if I could or not, and I went without my trainer.

I don't think I'm in over my head... I did the 3' medals as a junior and AA, and have schooled 3'6" plenty... between the two, and my current mount, I'm excited to venture into the jumpers! So far, so good... was champion at my first jumper show and reserve this weekend (the kid who won was insane... sorry, I'm not willing to risk my neck for a schooling jumper class!)

Your time won't start until you actually get to the first jump(to jump it and start your round) because the starters are right in front of it. You can walk in, canter or trot around, stop and let your horse look at fences, whatever. Just get through the start flags before your 45 seconds is up.

Good luck in the jumpers!!! It's so fun!!! And yes, until your get to the 3'6+ stuff there are bound to be some crazies. Haha. Not worth the risk! 3'6+ stuff becomes much more about accuracy(going clear, tight turns, etc) instead of break neck speeds.