The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Maryland HT

Anyone have any intel on the footing there for this weekend? Am hopeful that the t-storms this week and today will be helpful in keeping it from being concrete, but concerned it could just sit on top and make it slick.

I'd also like to know. We're all supposed to get a lot of rain today and tonight so that should help if it is hard.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

I'm told they have some piece of equipment that they run over the xc course to loosen up the footing if it's too hard. MDHT was recommended to me over other summer venues because the footing tends to be so much better.

We are basically on the other side of Sugarloaf from Loch Moy (15 minutes), and it is currently POURING and been doing so for awhile and is supposed to rain here all night. Hopefully the ground will absorb some it and soften up and not just make it slick!

Later today/tonight, I'll report back with what our land is looking like. Should give a fair idea.

Thanks YB. Fingers crossed!

I think it should be ok over there. It will probably be firm, but good, especially if the rain has a chance to soak in over night. And, knowing Carolyn, they are taking advantage of the rain and doing what they can right now. Most of our footing is much improved. Still firm, but not punishing. There are a few spots that are like Crisco on concrete, and we have a couple of very odd spots that seem to be perpetually concrete that are still hard. The footing at Loch Moy is generally good and consistent...I bet it will be fine!

Thanks for the footing update - our new guy is going to do his first event on Sunday.

I just walked the training course - footing is overall pretty nice looks like they worked hard prepping it and the rain cooperated - there are even a few squishy spots (nothing major) - one or two hard spots, but even those are much better than the ground has been recently. Kudos to the loch moy folks for their hard work!
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Default Thanks, everyone!

I was actually going to start a thread on this tonight, my best student is competing on HRH at Novice tomorrow (she entered Rubicon, but I asked her to scratch the jumping phases because of the concrete footing.) I ASSURED her that Loch Moy's footing would be *much* better--so encouraged her and her mom to enter, and told her that the ONLY way we wouldn't run would be if there was a "monsoon" the day before/of , which caused us some consternation earlier today. (Mare is barefoot, but she has great traction. And N for her is a walk in the park.) Carolyn and Co. work the hell out of the ground to make it rideable, they really go above and beyond. I remember last year they aggravated the !@#$% out of the tracks on x-country, which had already been aerated (and there was NO rain beforehand!), so all the footing was soft. They did a remarkable job (huge kudos!) I'm figuring that today's MOST welcome rain was absorbed into the ground (and sucked right into the holes punched by the aerovator), so the footing should be pretty much perfection

I would be interested in hearing some feedback from folks who walked the course today, we didn't go up there to walk it since my student has such a long time between phases, we will walk it tomorrow.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelmd07 View Post
    I just walked the training course - footing is overall pretty nice looks like they worked hard prepping it and the rain cooperated - there are even a few squishy spots (nothing major) - one or two hard spots, but even those are much better than the ground has been recently. Kudos to the loch moy folks for their hard work!
    Thanks, tarheel!

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Default footing

even after the literal monsoon this afternoon, the footing seemed surprisingly nice when we walked prelim xc, (i am not riding- just grooming!) a few mushy spots, but nothing big ole studs couldn't help with and i imagine it will soak in a good bit tonight, it hasn't rained much since about 5pm.

this is my first visit to loch moy, or any MD horse trial for that matter and i am impressed! the super nice guy in stabling asked us several times if there was anything we needed, put extra trash cans in the aisles, and even asked me if the bathrooms were clean enough! wow! kudos to whomever runs this event! i like maryland!
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Quote Originally Posted by skip916 View Post
    even after the literal monsoon this afternoon, the footing seemed surprisingly nice when we walked prelim xc, (i am not riding- just grooming!) a few mushy spots, but nothing big ole studs couldn't help with and i imagine it will soak in a good bit tonight, it hasn't rained much since about 5pm.

this is my first visit to loch moy, or any MD horse trial for that matter and i am impressed! the super nice guy in stabling asked us several times if there was anything we needed, put extra trash cans in the aisles, and even asked me if the bathrooms were clean enough! wow! kudos to whomever runs this event! i like maryland!
    CAROLYN MACINTOSH. Send ALL kudos her way.

Yes, they are the best (and they--especially Carolyn--have worked *very* hard over the years to address any and all concerns raised by competitors; if there is anything not up to snuff, they FIX it. They provide remarkable "customer service", and are committed to making people happy and putting on a quality competition, in every measurable way. Right down to helping out individual riders at their unrecognized competitions, lowering jumps for recalcitrant or green horses, letting people have "do-overs", giving them extra time, finding ways to allow them to be successful, etc., etc. They once allowed a student of mine--who got lost and was running late--to ride at the end of her division, just so that she was able to compete and finish, and they let her score count. There are too many stories to share, but bottom line, the kind of service they provide is alas, all too rare to find these days. Which is why I sing their praises, recommend them to all riders, encourage my students to ride and compete there, and compete and volunteer there myself.) Not to mention that the courses and facility are excellent, and they have improved both over the years, based on feedback from competitors. LOTS of hard work, and a committment to excellence.

Okay, I am rattling on, here. LOVE that place (couldn't recommend it more highly )

I haven't been over there today (3.5 hours between d and SJ tomorrow) but like yb we got crazy rain at Waredaca this afternoon...and I entered precisely because last year they did such an awesome job with the footing under equally awful circumstances...

So I am not worried. In fact, I'm totally relaxed. I'm looking forward to a beautiful fun day with the flipping pony (whose mane I have FINALLY made right, by giving up on pulling and going for the scissors! ), mr. Asterix, and the big black dog...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    I haven't been over there today (3.5 hours between d and SJ tomorrow) but like yb we got crazy rain at Waredaca this afternoon...and I entered precisely because last year they did such an awesome job with the footing under equally awful circumstances...

So I am not worried. In fact, I'm totally relaxed. I'm looking forward to a beautiful fun day with the flipping pony (whose mane I have FINALLY made right, by giving up on pulling and going for the scissors! ), mr. Asterix, and the big black dog...
    SCISSORS?!? TeeHee, you really went all bad ass on us...Look forward to seeing an "even more radical Mohawk" on Mr. Rafferty. "Flipping Pony"? Nice double entrendre there Yes, I think the footing will be superb! (Just enough rain, and heaven knows we needed it!) Hope to see you and your crew there (Mr. T, Mr. a, and the big black dog...)