The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dressage Test Diagrams?

Where is a free source of test movement diagrams to go with the 2011 USEF dressage tests? I have located the test sheets on the USEF website, and I have my USDF "competitor guide", but neither provides diagrams of the test movements. I am looking for these to check my geometry and interpretation of the test movement text. Is it too much to ask, for my paid memberships in these organizations, that they provide a member with pictures of how their test geometry is to be ridden?

Sorry, I can't hook you up with "free", but I'd say the $35 year's subscription I spent on Digital Horse http://thedigitalhorse.com/ was the best money I've spent in a while.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I agree with Paula. It's the best resource we have. I agree they should provide diagrams with the dang score sheets its silly.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

What are the movements you don't understand?

I use to have a little white board in the shape of a dressage ring with all the letters already there. It was helpfull for me to draw my test a few time in order to remember it correctly.

Also agree on Digitalhorse as a resource. I think it's worth the $$.

That bird's eye view of the ridden test has proved indispensable to me. The voice over is clear and the notes are succinct.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

This site is where the older tests had diagrams, but the 2011 copyright laws changed. The web site statement is "We have been providing free Test diagrams and Caller Sheets but
    unfortunately the USEF has changed their copyright licensing policy !"

http://www.dressage.net.au/natestdia.html
    Sandy in Fla.

It is completely ridiculous that test diagrams are not offered with a membership to USDF or USEF. Instead, they sell it to someone else and make us buy it. This is outrageous!

If you have an iPhone I really like the EquiTests app (I have EquiTests 3, which has all the USEF 2011 tests from Training through Fourth level), which has "animated" test diagrams, the full score sheets, and the ability to record a caller reading the test as you ride (at your horse's own pace) so you can re-play it later on your own. It's only $9.99 and I just wanted the diagrams in one easy place and have been pleased with it. I don't think there's any option to print out the diagrams, that I have discovered, but I've always got my phone with my anyway, so I haven't wanted printed versions since I got it, honestly.

I have been able to memorize my tests by just pulling out my phone when I'm standing in line at lunchtime or whatever. Worth checking out in the App Store if you've got an iPhone.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
    If you have an iPhone I really like the EquiTests app (I have EquiTests 3, which has all the USEF 2011 tests from Training through Fourth level), which has "animated" test diagrams, the full score sheets, and the ability to record a caller reading the test as you ride (at your horse's own pace) so you can re-play it later on your own. It's only $9.99 and I just wanted the diagrams in one easy place and have been pleased with it. I don't think there's any option to print out the diagrams, that I have discovered, but I've always got my phone with my anyway, so I haven't wanted printed versions since I got it, honestly.

I have been able to memorize my tests by just pulling out my phone when I'm standing in line at lunchtime or whatever. Worth checking out in the App Store if you've got an iPhone.
    YES. Such a great app!

Also you can access the app store if you have an ipod touch, etc...

The tests are easiest on the apps (USEF/USDF/FEI)....it has it as a list/ a diagram... and you can record it too.

Meanwhile the tests are free on line with all.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

If you have an iPhone I really like the EquiTests app .....
    Another vote for this app; it's great.

Thanks for the tips on where to find $ diagrams. It fries me that both USDF and USEF, each of which has annual membership fees that are starting to close in on $100, are always looking for additional fees to charge their members for stuff. USDF charges $20 to pull a lifetime score report for your own horse, and apparently USEF still views dressage test sheets as a money maker. Reminds me of the banks and their fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralwork View Post
    Thanks for the tips on where to find $ diagrams. It fries me that both USDF and USEF, each of which has annual membership fees that are starting to close in on $100, are always looking for additional fees to charge their members for stuff. USDF charges $20 to pull a lifetime score report for your own horse, and apparently USEF still views dressage test sheets as a money maker. Reminds me of the banks and their fees.
    The dressage test sheets are free.
    What is no longer free are the diagrams but USeF is providing nice blank diagram papers for you to draw your own.

Anyway, I don't really understand the big need of such diagram.
    Dressage is all about circles and diagonals and doing things at precise letters... I've never used it.

And it is not USeF fault if they now have to deal with copyrights.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterBy View Post
    The dressage test sheets are free.
    What is no longer free are the diagrams but USeF is providing nice blank diagram papers for you to draw your own.

Anyway, I don't really understand the big need of such diagram.
    Dressage is all about circles and diagonals and doing things at precise letters... I've never used it.

And it is not USeF fault if they now have to deal with copyrights.
    If it's not a big need, then why the copyright and Iphone apps?

Quote Originally Posted by baroqueNheart View Post
    It is completely ridiculous that test diagrams are not offered with a membership to USDF or USEF. Instead, they sell it to someone else and make us buy it. This is outrageous!
    Absolutely agreed!!! It should be included with the membership fee!!

Some of us are visual people and the diagrams are VERY helpful.

Default Test Diagrams

I have put 'draw your own' blank test sheets suitable for each test on this page :

http://www.dressage.net.au/natestdia.html#traintests

Hopefully they will be a help to some people.

I did ask the USEF if I could draft and host diagrams of the new tests on my web directory on the same terms as the 2007 tests.
    ( I even offered for them to use my diagrams for free in their test booklet as a service to their members ! )

However the USEF entrusts their test copywrite to their marketing department who now seem to regard them as a
    revenue raising opportunity.

( http://www.usef.org/documents/discip...TestPolicy.pdf )

A pity as I received many emails saying how useful they were.
    Maybe they will have a change of heart for 2015 !

Hi I am the webmaster for www.TheDigitalHorse.com and I have dropped my prices to $25.00 for a one year membership for either the dressage tests or eventing tests and $50.00 for both. With the membership you get the classrooms as animated diagrams and you can download a full sheet PDF for hard-copy or for use with your mobile apps you just put them in your PDF library (http://www.thedigitalhorse.com/Defau...9#.UT9tghm-JFM) or you can download the puffin browser http://www.puffinbrowser.com/index.php and use the website on your iPhone or iPad just like on the www. I have also posted lots of free stuff like the FEI tests http://www.thedigitalhorse.com/Defau...8#.UT9uChm-JFM and lots of exercises and explanations. http://www.thedigitalhorse.com/Defau...2#.UT9uJhm-JFM. If you have any questions or need help you can always email me rkelly@thedigitalhorse.com thanks

If you have an iPhone I really like the EquiTests app (I have EquiTests 3, which has all the USEF 2011 tests from Training through Fourth level),
    Also available for Android phones and really good! Now I'm not wasting time when I wait in line or in a dentist/doctor's office, oh no! I'm learning my tests

Highly recommend.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

I have always liked the Dressage Illustrated books. They diagram each movement of each test, and they are laminated, so they hold up.
    http://www.dressageillustrated.com/books.htm