The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Onion Skins in Hay??? Good, Bad, or doesn't matter??

That's pretty much the question, lol. The horses are just eating around them, but I've never seen this before.

Doubt if it matters. Wouldn't want to give a foal the opportunity, but otherwise they should eat around them as long as adequate nutrition/forage is available.

like wild allium or vidalia ?

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    like wild allium or vidalia ?

Tamara

Um, not sure. I know what Vidalia looks like (I think), these skins are maybe a bit more coarse than that. I was hoping you'd see this post, btw.

can you post a pic or email it to me? honestly,I've known onion skins in hay.do they smell like onions?

Tamara
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

can you post a pic or email it to me? honestly,I've known onion skins in hay.do they smell like onions?

Tamara

Hmmm, well I didn't smell them, but that's what they *look* like. Is there something else they could be?? I can try to get a picture tomorrow.... We were all trying to figure out what happened to the onions, though.... I think the horses are actually eating them a bit now because the new hay bales don't seem to have them and the "skins" are disappearing from their feed piles. I've seen a LOT of weird things in hay, but this is a new one for moi.

Do they have onion breath?
    Seriously, I have a horse that loved to eat wild onions until he gas coliced on them. That cured him of eating onions but when he was eating them, he had horrible, oniony breath.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

were they translucent ? and how big?

long and skinny or round ?
    Tamara

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Hmmm, well I didn't smell them, but that's what they *look* like. Is there something else they could be?? I can try to get a picture tomorrow.... We were all trying to figure out what happened to the onions, though.... I think the horses are actually eating them a bit now because the new hay bales don't seem to have them and the "skins" are disappearing from their feed piles. I've seen a LOT of weird things in hay, but this is a new one for moi.

were they translucent ? and how big?

long and skinny or round ?
    Tamara

Not translucent, the "brownish" color of skins, about the size of a large shaving. In fact, one of the trainers didn't look closely at them and she thought messy horse had just gotten shavings into his hay. Not long and skinny, more round...not quite, but if I *had* to pick a shape. Also, my earlier post that said horses are now "eating them" meant the skins, we have yet to see whole onions in the hay. Again...

I have seen snake eggs in hay that looked like that.

Tamara

I have seen snake eggs in hay that looked like that.

Tamara

Not snake eggs, but thanks for the visual! I think we're past the bales that had them, definitely were onion skins and they didn't harm the horses just trying now to figure out how you can have skins but no onions?? Do they sometimes grow hay on fields that recently grew onions?

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Not snake eggs, but thanks for the visual! I think we're past the bales that had them, definitely were onion skins and they didn't harm the horses just trying now to figure out how you can have skins but no onions?? Do they sometimes grow hay on fields that recently grew onions?
    not up here...but we re not Veg country to begin with.
    C. agreed yesterday that he'd vote for snake eggs also,but other than that we don't know of anything that would create that.

Tamara