The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default bute makes the shivers go away?! need an alternative to feed long term. ideas?

my big EPSM belgian has shivers (i know its a symptom) when we rescued him he had not been trimmed in two years. Got his feed done but OUCH it made it shivers really bad, he was so sore. I gave him bute to help with the soreness and POOF!!! no more shivers. I feel so bad! I can't give him the bute long term so i tried arthi-eze which has buffered asprin in it and it didnt do a darn thing. So know my poor guy has the shivers when i know with bute he would be fine. I need an alternative. Someone recommended yucca, anyone use it?
    Weve had him for two months and hes come a long way how do i post pics on here?
    This was justice when we got him:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Weve had him for 2 month this is him at 1 1/2 months

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    Last edited by JusticeDraft9875; Jul. 11, 2011 at 02:13 PM.

I'm guessing that the bute helps because of some inflammation somewhere pressing on something and the bute reduces the inflammation.

Have you thought about maybe regular visits from the MT/chiro? MSM helps inflammation and keeping him on a low carb/low starch diet with adequate Omega 3's might be a good start.

These are just some of the things I'm thinking off the top of my head to help reduce inflammation.

you can post pics just by posting the link to the photo.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

My horse has shivers. Bute definitely has no effect on the symptoms.

Talk to your vet about it - a lower carb/high fat diet helps a whole lot
    --o0o--

If bute works, you could always see if you could get a script for Previcox - which is the canine version of Equioxx, just WAY cheaper. I forget the exact dosage, but I was giving my guy 1/4 of a 227mg tablet, so like 56.75mg roughly.

Anyways, while there is still a risk of stomach/gastric upsets, I found my guy to be more comfortable, long term, while on Previcox then bute.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

he is on a high fat low carb diet currently because of the epsm. ive never heard of bute helping shivers but it completly stopped his. i was thinking of the previcox too but was hoping to find a "natural" alternative.

oh and i was told no msm cuz it can interfere with the selenium absorption. He sees a chiro and i use an equitonic on him.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDraft9875 View Post
    oh and i was told no msm cuz it can interfere with the selenium absorption. He sees a chiro and i use an equitonic on him.
    Where did you hear that? I'm asking cause I have my horse on MSM as well as E/Se Mag...

I don't think there's proof, but the possibility is there. It wouldn't hurt to cycle the MSM on, say, a monthly basis.

I read over on another message board that feeding them at different feedings is better?

I've heard that too, but you're still adding extra dietary sulfur to the body, so if (big IF) it's going to cause issues, I think it would still do that in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDraft9875 View Post
    he is on a high fat low carb diet currently because of the epsm. ive never heard of bute helping shivers but it completly stopped his. i was thinking of the previcox too but was hoping to find a "natural" alternative.
    The "natural" stuff that works usually run the same risk as as the prescription meds do because the chemicals in the "natural" stuff work the same way to reduce pain and inflammation as the medications do.

What I would do is use bute and try to find the lowest dose you can manage or dose every other day to keep him comfortable. I have known many horses to be able to tolerate long term bute use. It would be smart to keep an eye on things though keeping an eye out for ulcers and do bloodwork to make sure everything is still fine. I do not think it is fair to not give the horse the medication that makes it feel better, all medications have side effects and maybe long term bute will shorten his life span by a few years, but I would rather my horse live 20 relatively painfree years than 25 years with pain.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I've heard that too, but you're still adding extra dietary sulfur to the body, so if (big IF) it's going to cause issues, I think it would still do that in that situation.
    Ah ok...so you're saying that it's not a big concern?

To the OP, maybe BL Solution could be an alternative.

Elevate W S
    as recommended by my vet- was a script but is now available OTC- has worked wonders!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

i heard about the msm and selenium on another message board when i was trying to figure out the epsm diet.
    I think for now ill just do bute every other day. I tried arthi eze which like buffered asprin and it did nothing.
    Hes old and i just want to keep him comfortable