When is it safe for a mare in foal to travel a long distance?
I have a mare in foal (2 months) that may be being bought by someone in Tennessee.
They would like to take her to their farm in their two horse trailer on Sunday.
However, they could wait if necessary ( another 14 hours on the road for them if they have to come back though)
My question, Is it more risky to keep the pregnancy if a mare is moved (she's always lived at my farm).,,or a 7 hour trailer trip.......after the first trimester, or would it really matter?
She is well into the "safe" zone for traveling. I sent my mares to KY to be bred (10 hours) and shipped them back up after the heartbeat was seen. Some people recommend waiting until after it implants in the uterus but you are past that time as well.