The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Middleburg Tack Exchange- anyone sold saddles there?

I have two saddles left that I'm trying to sell, one of which is in excellent condition and another is used but well taken care of and in good shape. I feel as if I am pricing them fairly and although I've had interest, nobody has followed through (either that or they send a very low-ball offer ). I want them out of my parents house by the time I go back to school. They are getting tired of them sitting on the railing in the family room I have offered them on VA Equestrian and Craigslist but I am about ready to try elsewhere.

I am considering Ebay... but if that falls through, I may look into taking them to Middleburg Tack Exchange. Has anyone on here taken a saddle there to sell on consignment? Good results? Bad results? How long did the saddle take to sell? Have you found them to be pretty honest about when a saddle sells/how much it sold for?
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

I have bought one from them (an old Hermes) and had a great experience with them, if that helps any. Accurately priced, pleasant and down to earth people. One of the reasons I went to them in the first place is because they have quite a good reputation for selling 2nd hand saddles.

I have bought and sold there. Good experiences all the way around. Now is a good time.

Worked for me!

Also bought and sold there. Multiple good experiences on both fronts.
    Why do I work two jobs to support a horse I don't have time to ride?

Also have bought and sold (Stubben) saddles there - excellent experience.

Well that is reassuring. I guess the one thing I don't like is that they let the saddles go out on trial. So essentially, one of my saddles could be bought, taken on trial, and returned damaged (scratched/dinged/etc).
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

I've bought and sold there. I always let them price everything. The saddles both sold within a few days. I love buying there because of the fact that they allow trials, and I'm sure that's part of the reason things sell so quickly.

It's definitely a place where a lot of folks go for tack - I would check on their terms for what their share is of the sale before you leave it there.. and just a warning one time when I was there a woman came in with an anti-sweat.. "oh my No one uses these anymore"... maybe I just hit it on the wrong days..but it is a great place to go for tack and some entertainment value as well
    Last edited by chizzle; Jan. 1, 2012 at 08:09 PM.

I guess it comes down to what the saddles are worth. I have sold saddles through them before and had great results. Would you buy a saddle without trying it? You can't really expect someone to buy one without that option. I know I had to fill out paperwork when leaving the saddles, I can't remember the gist of it, but I'm sure there is some sort of protection for you should a potential buyer harm the saddle.

When I worked at a tack store we'd let tack go out on trial took a CC # or check and only had a problem one time and the tack (new) disappeared (later recovered). The used items never came back looking any worse for the wear. By and large I think people respect the conditions on taking things to try so I'd not worry about it.

Very good experiances for both myself and a gal pal buying and selling.
    They do inspect the saddles very carefully and evaluate, also use a "Blue Book" of sorts that list saddle models and prices.
    They will take a hefty portion of the sale thought, but do advertise them on line....

Haven't sold but did buy my PJ there.

They do let them go on trial but they charge your CC first when you take out the saddle, so I imagine if I had wanted to return the saddle damaged I would have been stuck with it.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Thumbs up

Haven't sold anything through them, but bought, and was very happy with both the saddle and the transaction. Fabulous customer service.

Thank you for posting this. I have a couple of saddles that I need to sell, and might give them a try.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by Milocalwinnings View Post
    Well that is reassuring. I guess the one thing I don't like is that they let the saddles go out on trial. So essentially, one of my saddles could be bought, taken on trial, and returned damaged (scratched/dinged/etc).
    Um.... just about every place selling used saddles allows trials. They usually charge the potential buyer's CC# for the full price of the saddle just in case something goes sideways, but it's very rare for that to happen. Depending on the store and the condition of the saddle, they will ask for various protective measures, like wrapping leathers, not riding in tall boots, etc.

Would YOU buy a (used) saddle without trying it first? I've read so many horror stories from people who've bought new, and especially bought custom, about being stuck with saddles that don't fit and, like a used car, lost a huge percent of their value the moment they left the shop... I pretty much only buy used now.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by Milocalwinnings View Post
    I have two saddles left that I'm trying to sell, one of which is in excellent condition and another is used but well taken care of and in good shape. I feel as if I am pricing them fairly and although I've had interest, nobody has followed through (either that or they send a very low-ball offer ). I want them out of my parents house by the time I go back to school. They are getting tired of them sitting on the railing in the family room I have offered them on VA Equestrian and Craigslist but I am about ready to try elsewhere.

I am considering Ebay... but if that falls through, I may look into taking them to Middleburg Tack Exchange. Has anyone on here taken a saddle there to sell on consignment? Good results? Bad results? How long did the saddle take to sell? Have you found them to be pretty honest about when a saddle sells/how much it sold for?
    I sold my old Pessoa there and they were great. They recommended a fair price. When someone made an offer, they called and told me about it but said they thought it was low. I countered and the saddle sold. It took about a month to sell and I had the check a week after that.

I hadn't had luck on VA equestrian and on ebay someone tried it but returned it b/c it didn't fit their horse.

Sold a Berney Brothers through them. Great experience. Do read the fine print on what happens if it doesn't sell in 6 months. They sold the saddle quickly after it had sat at Pelham for months.

I bought a saddle on ebay, it didn't fit the horse so I sold it there. It sold in a few weeks, I got more than I paid for it, happy all around.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

This reminded me that the pony saddle I have there has reached the 6 month mark and I need to go pick it up tomorrow.

I'll probably ask a friend to list it on eBay for me...unless anyone knows of someone who wants an Albion 16" pony saddle.

I have sold breeches, show coats and horse blankets there though.

I have both bought and sold there (although I usually have great luck selling it personally). They charge a 25% commission on saddles, so just be expecting that before you go there.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Have you found them to be pretty honest about when a saddle sells/how much it sold for?
    This is their business, and they've been in business at the same site for years. They are not going to screw you over the price. They will call you if they get a lower offer.

They used to be almost exclusively hunter oriented, but they now have quite a bit of dressage stuff in there as well. I've bought an awful lot from them and sold a lot of stuff through them. They used to be not too keen on dressage stuff, but they are now and have become more educated on dressage tack. Occassionally they will say a certain article will not sell well there, but that is usually from experience. You can always override that and give them an asking price, but they may prove to be right and it won't sell.

Their policy on saddles is different from all other stuff - just ask what it is.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!