The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Am I crazy for not wanting to ride?

I don't know, maybe it's the heat in the upper 80s, or the fact that my mare still isn't as broke as I would like and tries to challenge me from time to time (nothing dangerous, just oh I think I'll go like a Mack truck today instead of the dainty mare you've been teaching me to be), or the fact that I have spent so much time at the barn up until now that I'm finally realizing everything at home is piling up waiting for me to take care of it. But I am 10 weeks pregnant with only 2 weeks left to ride (under my doctor's orders) and I am not motivated at all this week to do it. I even have a clinic scheduled for Friday, with Steuart Pittman who spent 30 days training my horse in April, and I just e-mailed him to basically tell him I want him to ride instead of me. I normally love my horse despite her flaws, and want nothing more than to rush to the barn, yet I'm sitting at my desk in the AC stalling right now. Has anyone else ever gone through a phase like this? Hopefully I'm just temporarily insane due to other distractions

ugh I hear ya. But I'm not pregnant. I think its the heat. Just so hard to get motivated. I am waiting until a few hours to ride hoping it will cool down. We will see if I get out there. My horses are in my backyard. I have 2 to ride and one that needs to be backed yet. I think I feel so pressured to ride that sometimes I just don't, and it takes me a while to realize that its ok if I don't ride. The horses won't mind and we don't have the Olympics coming up anytime soon

You aren't crazy but you may need to change your user name!

I hear you though! Its been over 100 degrees here EVERY DAY (heat index around 110+), and it is hard to be motivated to ride. What is even worse, I teach lessons during the more ideal times of day- early AM and late PM, so I get the crappy ride times.

I know how you feel and im not even pregnant! It is seriously hard to get my butt outside to ride. I have once a week lessons, so I always get out there for that, but the other days are a struggle.

Dont worry about it too much. Dont force yourself to ride the next two weeks just because you wont be able to after that. I keep telling myself that riding is supposed to be my FUN HOBBY! If I dont feel like doing it, I shouldnt have to. I have loads of other things that I NEED to do....mow the lawn, laundry, work, weeding, feeding all of the animals, cleaning stalls.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

the heat sucks. I had a lesson last night and on my way to the barn, my car temp gauge read 103 degrees. Needless to say, I wasn't in a great headspace being all grumpy from the heat and that translated into a really blah lesson.

So don't go because you feel obligated, it probably will just leave a bad taste in your mouth if things don't go as planned.

Or, if you feel like you REALLY have to get out there, just groom and turnout or something. I will do that on the days where I know I won't be feeling the ride and it makes me feel like I at least got a little something accomplished.

Yep! I'm not pregnant (at 49, I'd better not be!), but I've been having trouble getting motivated too. The heat certainly has something to do with it, plus kids out of school and crazy maneuvering to get them in camp, etc... I skipped a ride on my 1/2 lease horse last week, I NEVER do that!

Its okay to feel that way im three months pregnant,I rode yesterday and gave my sister a lesson after in the hot hot sun. All I want to do today is veg out I felt guilty but I know my horses don't know any different and honestly its so darn muggy and im so darn tired I just say the heck with it.

Go watch your nice horse be ridden by your trainer and enjoy what you'll be missing for the next few months!

Do WHATEVER pleases you! You are pregnant, it is hot outside. No need to say more!

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    You aren't crazy but you may need to change your user name!
    haha I was thinking the same thing...

I'dRatherBeRiding says she doesn't want to ride.

I've been there before too...I actually prefer riding when it is really hot out...it's when the snow starts piling up that riding becomes somewhat of a chore
    I WAS a proud member of the *I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday* clique..but now I am 30!!!!!!!!!!!
    My new blog about my Finger Lakes Finest:
    She Ain't No Small Potato!

I am in a phase where I am loving riding right now, but with this heat I have to make myself dress for riding before I go to the barn. Otherwise I have a hard time making myself change into the heavier clothes.
    Also gives me incentive to get my ride done before chores as I am rewarded with my ride and then cooler clothes.

I know how you feel (minus the pregnant). I have camp in two weeks and my mare is just coming back from a foot problem, I am scared to death to ride her and risk having it be to early (even though the vet says it is fine). The other is a big fat, lazy green bean. He likes to stand, I think the heat melts his feet to the arena floor... and I want to nap all the time

Heat is bad. I got very very sick from riding in scorching heat with humidity last year, and I am not nor was I at the time pregnant. If your body is saying "It's too hot", listen.

You aren't temporarily insane, you are...pregnant Go easy on yourself!

Congrats!

It is really freaking hot! If my horses didn't live in my backyard where I can ride at 8pm I wouldn't do it at all...horse show this weekend is going to be awful BTW!

I rode almost 365 days a year for over 30 years...DH and I owned and trained TB race horses. My show/hunt horses were also ridden during most days. Now I ride for "P L E A S U R E". Riding at 110 degrees is not pleasureable...I don't ride!! I feel badly about the days I'm wasting, but the horses are standing in clean, bedded stalls with fans blowing on them, so I'm doing my part for them...but not riding!! And I can assure you I'm not pregnant!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Temps in the upper 80's? Man, I would love that to be our high for the day. I hada lesson today at 11 am, and when I left my house with horse in tow the temp was 95 and climbing! Can you ride earlier in the morning, when the heat shouldn't be such a factor?

I also ride for pleasure. Luckily, I work nights so I can kind of work my riding schedule around the weather/temperature. In the summer here in Va it is often in the mid to upper 90's with high humidity. I go to the barn in the early morning. Don't feel guilty for not riding. Pregnancy messes with all your body systems, so go with your gut feeling.

I'm recovering from a minor-ish injury. Feel a hundred times better than I did a week ago (!) but dr said 4-6 weeks until I should ride again. Crazy!! I mean I'm definitely not waiting that long (crazy doctor what does she know), but I do admit I have to wait just a bit longer.... And I'm going crazy from boredom and wanting to ride. Plus I haven't had a lesson in three weeks now (usually 5 per month, once weekly plus an extra thrown in). First lesson back will be scary/ugly! :-)

However, your post was a good reminder that just two weeks ago I was EASILY talking myself out of at least one ride per week, due to the heat.
    You're definitely not alone!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Not pregnant, but I can totally get being unmotivated with the heat, a green horse, and only two weeks left before you go one "maternity leave." Don't worry about it!

Just let it go. You are going to be off a significant amount of time for your pregnancy/childbirth, so whatever you would be working on these 2 weeks will be forgotten by the time you climb back on. If you don't feel like riding, don't.

Don't discount early pregnancy exhaustion -- it really makes you drag if you are one of the lucky ones who gets hit with it. I could barely drag myself to work and back during that time, I had no desire to ride at all. Safer not to anyway so if you don't REALLY want it, I would stay on the ground.