The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Little paint horse with saddle sore is renamed Air Jordan: Equinity Performance Pad!!

I'm a believer...
    I've been fighting with this issue since January and I've finally found a solution.

I had a small thread about a month ago asking about custom padding for Toby.

of course, like all threads everyone likes to blame saddle fit and what-not. -- but I was out to find a way of padding that would help the Tobs.

quick recap:
    he has a sore on the left side of his back just off of center that just won't go away. He does have some physical issues that cause him to always want to travel haunches in to the left--it's the left side of his back that is rubbed--most likely from his back being slightly crooked.

I had been using two sheepskin pads on him and a very thin Thinline on top.

well, skip ahead to now.. We seem to be doing mighty fine after the addition of the Equinity Performance Pad!

http://www.equinityperformance.com/

I'm down to just a cotton pad with the EP pad on top.

Here is the little tyke this past week:
    He's jumping really exuberantly now.

weeeee--grab mane!
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...aboom/Toby.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p..._5963328_o.jpg

I've been able to bump all the fences up to 2'9" in the last two weeks. And next jump school we'll bump him up to 3'. And then to a meter so that I can do the meter jumpers this fall at the unrated h/j shows. And also so he can run Novice.

He had a dirty stop that would come out every so often and he hasn't offered to pull any cop outs since I've been using this pad on him. Even when I give him TERRIBLE distances to jump from. His 5th leg is working well.

(such as this whoopsie daisy--my bad. He did one of those chip three legged jump moves because I asked him to take of REALLY long)
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/tobyjump.jpg

He's also much happier in his flat work and he bullies me less.

the sore is no longer irritated and his back does not look irritated and bright pink when I take the saddle off anymore! Hooray!

I'm not huge on using heavy gel pads and have never liked them. I gave the EP Pad a try because it is a bit different from regular gel and I was at my wits end.
    http://www.equinityperformance.com/our-technology.html

Pretty cool stuff.
    You can cut it with a box blade to any shape. Though I have left mine in the big rectangle shape.

Toby appreciated the pad so much I figured I should let Abby have a go in it as well.

Abby recap:
    AQHA mare that I have for a year. She is super girthy and bucks me off on occasion.
    She is wiggly and sometimes pins her ears when I saddle her.

Abby loves that darn pad as well. She stands there patiently when I tack her.
    She wore her first English saddle in April, and she jumped her first X in May.
    her first ride in April (she's got a neck stretcher on):
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...om/abby3-1.jpg

pics from the past two weeks wearing the EP Pad:
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...om/abby2-2.jpg
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...boom/Abby1.jpg

I actually fold it over on itself to give her saddle a little bit of front lift. It works as a self shim as well.

So to conclude. I'm super duper happy with this polymer pad. Royce (owner and developer of EP) engineered this pad in 2007! uugh. I can't believe I had no idea of its existence.

Just thought I would share my good news.

EP also has sheep skin pads with shim pockets, I know the Mattes pads are so popular. These are the same style.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Read your last thread on your pony's issues, I'm glad to see things are looking up! He looks fantastic! Also appreciate the pictures of interesting jumping phenomenon... good to know I'm not the only one shooting for the occasional long spot and ending up in the back seat of the bus! ; D

Your little mare is looking fantabulous, love the log shot!

I've been keeping an eye out for a riser pad for my boy, as his jump saddle is a bit wide for him. And I figure that we could use all the help we can get XC, since he too has a stop in him when the situation gets hairy. Hmm... I wish there was a pad I could just trial for a bit, as they're a bit pricey (As are all the riser/gel/shim/what-have-you pads).

With a rave review like this, I will definitely have to keep these pads in mind! I like the idea of rolling the front of the pad to create a shimmed effect.
    Last edited by Hevonen; Jul. 6, 2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: darn autocorrect...

Talking

Another vote for Royce!

I shared a Woff clinic with her. She knows eventing well, long time JW student. Now she's doing jumpers and bringing along ottbs in addition to a real job. Terrific, caring and understanding.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Hmmmm... how are they any different than Thinline pads? Their schema of "how it works" seems to be the same as what Thinline says. Could someone enlighten me? Just trying to understand how it's different.

Not to take away at all from your successful use of the pad - if it works for you, that's great, and I am all for it! I'm glad you found something that works for the American Paint Horse Awesomeness - he's adorable!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

The technology is different. In that thinline. Is made of foam and the equinity pads are polymer based. The concept of being shock absorbing and resilient are the same, though you would have to judge for yourself on which you feel is more effective.

I can tell you the equinity technology is medically based and the polymer is used in many applications surgically, ortho, rehab, etc.

I came up with using the polymer as a saddle pad application when looking for a mattress pad for my father who is bed-ridden due to ALS, an auto-immune disease. In looking at the polymer in its mattress pad form an idea was born.

The equinity pad I think is a more natural feeling buffer for both horse and rider. I have had several barns try one and now their entire barn , all horses who had threapeutic pads have switched to them. Trainers who are old-school have used them for horses with back sores. For instance a horse whose having a bad reaction o laudry detergent or bug bite, who ordinarily would not be ridden until resolved can now ride in comfort with the pad.
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

The Equinity pad that I have is much thicker than my Thinline. My Thinline is just a thin piece of rubber basically. When I pinch it nothing happens. When you pinch the Equinity it's squishy.
    I'm one that was always in the boat of "a thick bounce pad only makes your saddle too tight" club. I'll eat my words for this one instance though.

The Equinity pad is about 1/4 inch thick. Maybe close to the consistency of a jello giggler kind of...? But it's a solid--for instance you can cut the pad and the polymer does not run like gel but holds its shape. The sticky edges will eventually collect a bit of dust an no longer be sticky. So I can take the large rectangle Equinity pad and cut it to be the same contoured shape of my Thinline if I want and then even use the left over pieces as fillers/shims. Or, if I needed to make a doughnut for Toby's back I could use a thinner piece of the polymer and cut a hole out of the middle and stuck it on my saddle pad where Toby's sore was located.

I've had that darn Thinline for 10 years and I hung it up for the Equinity. Who would have thought???

As for the mare. I started out using the pad totally flat on her. But it's a bit long and I was too chicken to cut it.
    So one day I just went ahead and tried it out folded in the front. She's way down hill (little stunted AQHA ) so I figured it would make me feel like I was riding more uphill.

turns out the saddle fit her BETTER with the pad folded over and her sweat spots were dead on perfect.

I love not using the plethera of pads on Toby. I feel so much more like I'm sitting into him like a puzzle piece now rather than sitting atop all of that fluff.
    He dished out another brilliant dressage work today--I'm happy to report. Again with lots of sit trot for his list of lateral exercises and his back is looking great.
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Is it heavy feeling like a gel pad or lighter than that? Looks interesting.

In that thinline. Is made of foam and the equinity pads are polymer based.
    I assure you that Thinline pads are also polymer based

A reasonable definition of polymer copied from Wiki

A polymer is a large molecule (macromolecule) composed of repeating structural units. These subunits are typically connected by covalent chemical bonds. Although the term polymer is sometimes taken to refer to plastics, it actually encompasses a large class comprising both natural and synthetic materials with a wide variety of properties.

You might state that the type of polymer constituting Thinline is different than the type of polymer constituting Equinity.

I can tell you the equinity technology is medically based and the polymer is used in many applications surgically, ortho, rehab, etc.
    None of which confers any specific magical powers to it's use as a saddle pad.

equinity technology is medically based
    I would be interested to read the data on this

Note that the expected performance life of a Thinline pad is only 7-9 years so hopefully most people are replacing them at least that frequently.

Disclaimer: I don't have any vested or unvested interests in Thinline Global.
    I am always hoping to see actual scientific data supporting product websites claims.

Alto no worries i I will send you some links once I get home from the show and back to my office.
    Well yes equinity is a visco elastic polymer and I am unsure if thinline is a polymer, but if so perhaps a different one.

No one claimed "magical powers". Its a saddle pad, like anyother piece of equipment you have you may prefer one brand to other based on rider and horse based on your individual experience. Its working for purpl.

No need to be negative just becaus someone else is positive about something. Also no need to turn this into an equinity vs thinline pads. They are very different pads in relation to feel, so while you may like both one would probably have a preference to one vs the other

Quote Originally Posted by M. Owen View Post
    Is it heavy feeling like a gel pad or lighter than that? Looks interesting.
    Its not quite as heavy. Could be lighter - which we are working on aproduct that will be 1/3 lighter. Definitely feels lighter than gel as it is stable. Because its stable you can cut it. Also gel slumps to each endof the pad when draped over your arm. The equinity pad is stable it gives a bit, but does not move so it gives a lighter feel. Because of its stability your saddle stays put better than it would with a gel pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Keep1Belle View Post
    You made this statement as if it had some relevance to equine fit/health/benefit (not really sure what your direction was )

No need to be negative just becaus someone else is positive about something.

Where was I negative becaus someone else is positive

I followed the links & was disappointed in the information presented on the company website.

Also no need to turn this into an equinity vs thinline pads.
    I believe it was you who made this about Thinline vs Equinity by the absurd statement about polymers.
    I don't know if you used polymer in that context because you are unaware of the meaning of the term ... to state that Thinline is foam while Equinity is polymer, as if that conferred something valid.

The OP's horse is going better which is important - hopefully this pad will prove to be the solution & Toby's back will completely heal

Default good grief....

M. Owen-
    They are heavier than my ULTRA Thinline, but I think lighter than a gel pad. The only reason I think, instead of know is because my EP is still in it's large state and thus is much larger than a contoured gel pad.
    It's softer than the gel pads I have held.

I made this statement, which may have sounded like a Thinline vs EP contest.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I've had that darn Thinline for 10 years and I hung it up for the Equinity. Who would have thought???
    For me, I guess it is. My horses are noticeably different (positive difference) with the EP as opposed to when they wear the Thinline.

And to
    address the discussion so nicely brought forth by Alto...

It seems as though Thinline is open cell foam polymer.

here:
    http://thinlineglobal.com/learn_more/technology

But the Polymers used by companies differ.

EP is visco-elastic.
    Thinline is open cell foam.

So I looked up visco elastic vs open cell and this is what I found (I think this is a biking company):
    http://www.astechseat.com/seat-modif...he-technology/

Three basic types, open cell, closed cell, and visco-elastic memory foam.

Open cell means the foam breaths or rather air moves in and out when pressure is applied or released. Closed cell foam retains air inside the structure of the foam.

Two generations of visco-elastic memory foam have been developed, both are an open cell foam. The first generation was invented for NASA to reduce impact of hard landings and improve seating comfort. It is very temperature sensitive, thus the name Tempurpedic. The second generation is much less sensitive to temperature and made of 40% plant based ingredients.

Astech Comfort Inserts use only second generation memory foam. It fits the shape of the pressure applied and does not return pressure like regular open cell foam. It alleviates seating fatigue by distributing pressure and absorbing impact energy.

So from my uneducated seat I will make the statement that according to the documents I have read that they are in fact different.

Alto, what is the question?

The EP is helping my horse with a lameness issue, not just shock absorption.

Also, I think Royce was implying that the technology used in the EP is used in hospitals--hence the EP originated for human medical use. According to one of the sites above it's also used in NASA.

All I know is that my horse has been off in his back and after 6 months of searching I have found something that is working for him. And I'm so happy to have him back on track and working so well.

Everyone likes to blame saddle fit these days and because of this we now are spending 4K on saddles. My saddles (which are both high end Italian saddles) fit him fine and his sweat marks are even so I had to look elsewhere. Therefore I addressed padding.

Quote Originally Posted by Keep1Belle View Post
    Also no need to turn this into an equinity vs thinline pads.
    No intent to turn this into Equinity vs ThinLine; hadn't heard of Equinity and simply trying to understand the differences. Equinity may be something I would be interested in trying.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Default Wow! Only in America!

First of all, thanks for the heads-up about new equipment. The reason I check on these online bb's is to gather new info- this was very helpful.
    As for the completely bitchy response by some posters- What crawled up your butt this AM?
    A tone of civility is an expectation for these BB's.....if you can't be respectful, you should log out and go kick your dog or your horse. If you are this uptight and wierd to complete strangers, I can only guess how awful it must be to be owned as a pet or animal by you.....really- I feel sorry for your animals!

To the original poster, thanks for the info about the pad- the pictures were helpful, too. I appreciate you taking the time to post this.

Quote Originally Posted by RSEventer View Post
    First of all, thanks for the heads-up about new equipment. The reason I check on these online bb's is to gather new info- this was very helpful.
    As for the completely bitchy response by some posters- What crawled up your butt this AM?
    A tone of civility is an expectation for these BB's.....if you can't be respectful, you should log out and go kick your dog or your horse. If you are this uptight and wierd to complete strangers, I can only guess how awful it must be to be owned as a pet or animal by you.....really- I feel sorry for your animals!

To the original poster, thanks for the info about the pad- the pictures were helpful, too. I appreciate you taking the time to post this.
    Honestly, the only problem I had was with the maker of a product coming on here and throwing out untrue statements and faux-scientific statements misguidingly, as if there were facts and studies involved proving the superiority of one product.

What I really care about is positive experiences and the info purp gave us about the materials. Had the maker of the pad given us that difference in foam materials I would have been appreciative for actual info, and not felt as if it was a no-substance marketing post. From purp's info, I would consider using this pad. I'm also glad to know she no longer has 3 or possibly more saddle pads on her horse, as from my experience that gives a horse with a tendency towards sores a sore about 85% of the time. (This is a non-scientific number from observation of horses around me only.)

I don't hold any ill will toward the maker, and won't even remember her poster name for later posts because I think holding a grudge on a MB is a waste of time. That specific post just rubbed me the wrong way due to the purely marketing mumbo-jumbo which was also inaccurate in it.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

What I really care about is positive experiences and the info purp gave us about the materials. Had the maker of the pad given us that difference in foam materials I would have been appreciative for actual info, and not felt as if it was a no-substance marketing post.
    It was just a case of terminology difference.
    I'm a Layman and need (insert noun here) Book for Dummies in every aspect of life.

I just Googled visco elastic/open cell/closed cell foam and was lucky enough to find a (maybe not accurate or maybe accurate site that listed all three types).

The only reason I was able to dish out a helpful post was because I'm not the brightest light on the tree and sometimes I don't understand a word and feel like Charlie Brown when engineers speek (e.g. Rayers).

But I can definitely see how the term polymer can be misused because it seems like it's just a general term that means "big molecule".

But I agree, I enjoyed reading about the differences in how the pads are actually composed and I think it's interesting information.

I'm also glad to know she no longer has 3 saddle pads on her horse
    ME TOO!!!

I was just chiming in on the infighting happening... I should also say - he looks great! I'm happy for both of you.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Wow! Cutest horse butt EVER!!! So glad you found a solution. Have fun!

What I wrote was in response to someones question regarding how my product differs from another. And they are different, which ha been stated repeatedly - not better or worse, but different

EP is not my full-timejob, I have been on this board for a few years and rarely do I bring up that EP exists and try to sell it.I found a solution that works for me and want to share it with others. I only came on to explain thwe difference. Also, it is something I take personally as I use this product as a solution for my dad who has als and bed-ridden anyone that knows me personally knows that is why I stand behind it so much. In certain instances where pressure points or sores are involved EP products have been a resource to help that. Not sure how that is marketing mumbo-jumbo its just a personal experience. The polymer has be tested thoroughly in the medical field with medical supply companies who use it in different applications nursing homes, liners on surgery tables, nicu , etc