The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I found a baby Copperhead in the barn this morning… busy barn, lots of activity, lots of horses, lots of people, dogs… and then this snake in the middle of the aisle. The snake is no longer with us... but I’m wondering about his brotheres and sister... and mom and dad... how many babies do Copperheads have in a litter?

I found a baby Copperhead in the barn this morning… busy barn, lots of activity, lots of horses, lots of people, dogs… and then this snake in the middle of the aisle. The snake is no longer with us... but I’m wondering about his brotheres and sister... and mom and dad... how many babies do Copperheads have in a litter?

YIKES!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

Where are you located? They are pretty common in my area.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Unfortunately, quite a few. Think, like, a dozen or so? They do tend to disperse fairly quickly after birth/hatching. How long/large was the one you found?

Usually more than 10 in a hatching. You should be aware that the babies are more venomous that older snakes. I'd be calling pest control in immediately!

There is a repellant product called Snake A Way that you may want to look into. One container covers 150 linear feet. Also keep grain storage meticulously clean. Often the snakes are there for the rodent pickins'.

We live with western diamondbacks aplomb and the best I can tell you is, always be aware of where you are putting your feet and hands. You'll at least prevent the "element of surprise" kind of strikes as much as possible.
    *Barefoot Eventers Clique*

Wait!

I know the snake has already gone on to a greater reward - but double check.

If you're in the South - remember that the Copperhead and the Northern Watersnake look very similar. There are easy ways to tell the difference that don't involve getting close - but don't worry a whole heck of a lot.

If you have sawdust or shavings around, the snake probably laid eggs there. They disperse quickly - neither the watersnake nor the copperhead would like the barn scene.

Just FYI - we have copperheads too, as well as watersnakes. I have to do a double take each time I see one.

The Northern Watersnake is harmless.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Our cats found a baby copperhead close to our house 6 years ago. It bit one cat - she was fine after a trip to the emergency vet clinic - and we've never seen any other copperheads around our house. I sort of figured we'd see or the cats would find the others in the nest but never did.

Land of cold, snow, & bugs, AKA Minnie Soda

CARTIER-I GREW UP IN COPPERHEAD COUNTRY AND WAS TOLDTHEY TRAVELED IN PAIRS-AS A SMALL CHILD I ALMOST PICKED ONE UP THINKINGIT WAS A STICK-MY MOTHER DID NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE FOR 4 DAYS AFTER THAT TO MAKE SURE ITS FRIENDS WERE GONE

awww geesh just realized my cap lock was on and am too lazy to re type everything-sorry-wasnt "yelling"

anywho-i have a major snake phobia and would call an exterminator-ishy yuck gross bleh *shudder*
    Co-founder of White Trash Dressage (WTD)
    http://www.lulu.com/mavw1971
    also available on Amazon.com
    http://www.cafepress.com/wtdressage

Don't panic. Copperheads are shy, they are sluggish. They really don't want to be around people. There are quite a few snakes that look like copperheads, that aren't. If you look at your deceased snake, look for the pits behind its eyes. Or the vertical iris. If not there, it is something harmless.

A rattlesnake is more touchy, and can jump at a person and strike from kinda far.

Try not to worry, look where you step, maybe call the animal control people. Snakes do a lot of good, they eat rats: does your barn have rats? If so, that would attract snakes.

Really, don't worry, especially about Copperheads. I understand ERs don't even administer antivenin for their bites. Don't know exactly where you are, but in Virginia, there has been only one death in the last umpteen years due to snakebite: a religious snake-handler who refused treatment after being bitten.

And some Copperheads are truly beautiful, with a delicate metallic sheen to their bodies.

What Babs said. Besides its autumn so its very unlikely a clutch of snakes just hatched near your barn. Hope that puts your mind at ease.

horse_poor the pairs thing is an old wives tale.

There is a snake that might go into the barn that looks like a Copperhead but it is harmless. I forget what you call it, but I saw one called the police and the Sergeant showed up with his trusty 6 gun and informed me it was just a harmless snake and not the deadly Copperhead.

silver---I think this is the time of year copperheads hatch in Virginia---well that's what my vet said years ago when he identified one I had killed the day before. I would be interested if someone has specific information to the contrary.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Scale patterns can be confusing as snakes can have lots of individual color differences. The non-round pupil poster is correct, also the shape of a snake's head is an easy way to ID venomous from nonpoisonous at a safe distance. Pit vipers (copperheads, rattlers) have triangular heads with "pouchy" jaws to hold that payload. Harmless snakes have more narrow, streamlined heads.
    *Barefoot Eventers Clique*

posted Apr. 06, 2004 01:10 PM by Seahorsefarms:
    http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif
    Speaking of putting copperhead in pocket...here's a story from a man who was a surgeon and ended up being an expert of snakebites...
    A man saw a boy fishing on the edge of a pond...when he got closer, he noticed the boy's hands were red & swollen...he inquired about them...the kid said the "worms" kept biting him as he put them on the hook.....the "worms" were baby copperheads he had caught (prob a nest full) and had in his bucket to use as bait. The boy was rushed to the hospital and lived.
    That is a true story and when I initially heard it I couldn't get the picture out of my head.

I can't get it to open, but www.gadnr.org has good snake info...but, yesh, this is the time for babies. I find many dead on my street - they lie on the asphalt to soak up the warmth and then get splattered by auto tires...they "freeze" when danger approaches so they get hit...either that or my &%$#@* neighbor and his golf club.

My horse got bitten on the muzzle by a copperhead several years ago. His head swelled up huge and he was having breathing difficulties. The vet gave him something to help with swelling and he was fine after several days. He is very wary of snakes now though.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

First of all, Copperheads (or any other snake for that matter) do NOT travel in "pairs". Good Grief!!!! Where the heck did that old wives tale come from???

Secondly - while the young are JUST as venomous as the adults, they are NOT "more" venomous.

Third - it is absolutely true that a number of other snakes that hang around barns resemble Copperheads. In fact, the young of Black Rat Snakes are brown, tan, & gray patterned/mottled very similar to Copperheads, & are MUCH more likely to be found in & around barns. In fact, we had a nest of Black Rat Snakes hatch in our manure pile this time last year & I couldn't have been happier. Chances are excellent - unless you had your snake identified by an expert - that what you killed could very well have been a very beneficial & harmless young black rat snake.

Copperheads tend to be secretive snakes. They love old woodpiles, woods, old logs, abandoned houses, etc. It is VERY unlikey to find one in a barn aisle. On the other hand, I find young rat snakes in my feed room & barn aisle constantly.

You may want to invest in a good book on the snakes relevant to your area. Killing a young black snake whose only intent was on de-rodenting your barn is really a shame.

ewiw ewie. I am NOT a fan of snakes. Just reading this thread almost made me pass out. Good luck with the snake problem.
    Member of the \"Baby Greenie Support Group\" and major advocate of the Green Arm Band
    My pictures! http://community.webshots.com/user/estieg12
    **Ticatto** 2000 Dutch WB gelding by Consul
    **Ultra** 2001 D

Land of cold, snow, & bugs, AKA Minnie Soda

ok so the pairs thing is evidently an old wives tale-i dont care-snakes have friends

*shudder*
    Co-founder of White Trash Dressage (WTD)
    http://www.lulu.com/mavw1971
    also available on Amazon.com
    http://www.cafepress.com/wtdressage

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by breezymeadow:
    You may want to invest in a good book on the snakes relevant to your area. Killing a young black snake whose only intent was on de-rodenting your barn is really a shame. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

touché! I want to hit my neighbor-snake-killer with his own golf club...good snake...bad snake...all the same to him...idiot!