The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Enthusiastic Show parents???

I don't think you could beat this. If this were my dad, I think I'd pretend I didn't know him...

http://youtu.be/d_KD69aDJ8A

What an embarassment. And he's not just a proud parent, if that is John DeLeyer then he is a pro as well, I believe.

(Check out the thread in Off-Course )
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I think it's cute!

That just made my whole week!!! I laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks. Great to see this kind of attitude instead of the negative ones.

Default I love it!

Yup, bless that man's heart. I couldn't tell you if that is John De Leyer and if his kid is the one that's riding, but I don't care either way. We should all be so lucky to have someone who obviously cares that much about what we do, not just to be physically present, but INVOLVED.

My dad used to go to as many of my swim meets or horse shows as he could, and yeah, I was occassionally embarrassed when he would yell out his nickname for me (Buffalo Butt was not exactly the most flattering nickname for a painfully shy teenage girl, and, BTW, not accurate. But I digress.) However, the embarrassment was completely outweighed by the pride of having my dad there, and the love and support I felt.

I think it's refreshing to see someone who clearly doesn't give a rat's hind parts about what other people think, out there and living in the moment. I'm finally at a point where I am starting to be much less concerned about what other people think, and holy crap, is it ever liberating!

You go, enthusiastic ringside crazy dancing man! Kudos!
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

That is too cute!! I love that guy! The son will eventually reach an age where he loves it too. Great that someone videoed, and the music is right too.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

I think it's adorable as well - so sweet that he is right there with his kid watching every step. I wish my dad had cared that much about how my rounds went as a kid!
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

I think this is really cool!

I have been able to convince my mother to come see me in a grand total of 1 horse show! And then she read magazines the whole time. I'd kill for her to have even 0.1% of this man's enthusiasm and support for the sport I love. His son is lucky kid!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

*Ducks head in embarrassment* Can't see the video currently since I am at work but I will admit to having a ribbon dance when the daughter gets one. Her first blue ribbon you would have thought I won it I was so happy for her. DD is standing there with her trainer all cool and happy meanwhile I am dancing around beaming from ear to ear. I am positive she would have loved to claim trainer as her mom at that time... does it help it's the same dance for any ribbon? Course when the kid gets done with the show our barn claps and cheers no matter who the pair are or how interesting the test got. (flight check at C please!) One little girl seemed to be there by herself and we were the only ones cheering for her. Her mom thanked us later when she got there having almost missed the rides.
    Doesn't matter how many shows you go to or how many ribbons you get each ride is special. Each ride teaches us something and should be savored for the treasure they are. My parents were there for most of my rides and they cheered just as loudly when I didn't win mostly thankful I didn't fall off.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    What an embarassment. And he's not just a proud parent, if that is John DeLeyer then he is a pro as well, I believe.
    John DeLeyer is possibly one of THE nicest and most sportsmanly professionals that I have come across in the sport of horseshowing.

I have judged shows when his customers and own kids were riding, and I have competed against his kids/customers when he was at the ingate with us at others.

He is ALWAYS cheerful with a kind word and generous spirit to all. He will kindly refresh a competitor's memory on what the course is for this round and how many strides are in that line, and if he is standing at the in gate next to another trainer while their rider is in he will always find something nice to say to them about their rider or the horse. When you come out of the ring he always has something nice to say.

It is impossible not to like him and he is definitely not an "embarassment".

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    It is impossible not to like him and he is definitely not an "embarassment".
    A chip off the old block -- Harry DeLeyer is the same. Great people, always friendly and funny.

For at least a few years Harry did a "Snowman" tour before the Grand Prix at one of the Virginia Horse Center A shows, I forget which one. Anyone remember that? He might still do it, I moved out of the area so can't say. It was so fun to watch him talk about that horse, then jump around the GP a little later. I hope I can ride a tenth as well at 60 something. Heck, I wish I could now!

That is too fun. I think HE jumped every fence, too. Classic!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Wonderful video -- how great to see a parent so excited and involved.... might the kid be embarassed a bit sure .... I certainly was when my parents literally danced down grocery store aisles tossing food to the one with the cart...Today they are both gone and its one of my best memories!!

Good for him! Lucky kid!

Hilarious! I love how involved he is. Embarrassment or not, I'd love my dad all the same if he did that!! Would probably help some show nerves as well!

I love that I got a pretty clear image of what the course looked like based on his jumps I think he is adorable, what a good dad!

I love this video simply b/c I'd rather see a parent doing this while his child is riding instead of yelling and growing angry b/c they arent doing something right...and now he is infamous!!

I can only imagine what I will do when I have kids and they are showing or competing!
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

Heck, not only do I wish my dad would have done this, I want to train with this guy!!

I fear that he may injure himself if the boy ever makes it to Grand Prix. Those leg kicks were something.

I may have to go over to witness the "dance" in person.

John has been a pro in the Houston area for many years. He is a wonderful guy and I was tickled to see him so excited about his son's ride. And his son is becoming QUITE a good rider! I don't think he'll be too embarrassed.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.