The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pony Has Decided Pergolide is Not So Tasty, How Do I Make It More Appetizing?

I've had my pony on pergolide for about a month now (and he is doing great on it, body condition is already improving!) but apparently he's decided that he doesn't like the way it tastes anymore. The girl who feeds in the morning texted me today and said he hasn't been finishing his morning ration by himself, and she's been hand feeding him the last bits to make sure he gets his meds. (what a gem!) He eats just fine at night when I'm there, and the only difference in the two feedings is the pergolide. He is on the apple-flavored powder right now, and I can't switch him to the liquid because there's just no cool place to keep it at the barn.

Since he has cushing's (AND probably PSSM too) dousing his breakfast with molasses, apple sauce, or maple syrup is obviously OUT! I'm drawing a blank as to what 'safe' yummy stuff I can add to make his drugged-up food more enticing. I saw Uckele makes a sugar-free liquid flavoring for horse feed, has anyone used it with any success? Looking forward to good ideas from your creative minds!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

My horse is on 3.5 mg of Pergolide per day.

I purchase these capsules from Thriving Pets:

http://www.thrivingpets.com/index.ph...-capsules.html

They are quite small. I just open them in the middle and mix it into his supplement. It's a tiny amount.

Good luck!
    Joyce

P.S. Even if you had a refrigerator, the liquid suspension has a very poor shelf life.

My horse was absolutely determined he was not going to consume any pergolide under any circumstances. I used alfalfa flavored Gourmeds with some alfalfa pellets. It worked like a charm. I got the Gourmeds from Wedgewood. My vet wrote a prescription for 2 mg tablets that easily split in two for 1 mg per day. 30 2 mg Gourmeds cost me $57 and lasted two months.
    http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/pet-an...e-tablets.html
    Last edited by ptownevt; Jul. 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: fixed the link
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Thanks for the suggestions!! I'll definitely check out those alternative options when it comes time to renew the script.

Unfortunately I still have 2/3 of the 3-month supply my vet sent me left... so no switching meds at this point, I need to get him to eat what he has left!

Poor guy is also has a HUGE sweet tooth... absolutely loved candy, peeps, peppermints, etc... so I KNOW he would eat it if I "sweetened the deal" a bit... but sugar is seriously out of the question for him now. Sigh. Thanks everyone!

PONY'TUDE

A drop of peppermint extract? Smell is as important as taste.

I've also used unsweetened applesauce with the medicine mixed in and syringed into the horse's mouth with pretty good success. My daughter's trainer uses fruit flavored yogurt in the same way. Her horses love it.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

My vet gave unsweetened applesauce the okay for a cushings and IR pony. We had to get the meds in and it was better than using grain.

Peppermint does effect some medicines and change the properties of them so I would check that before using that.
    The old guy I take care of wouldn't eat it either so we just give it to him orally, he does get the liquid, we got a small fridge like a dorm fridge and put it in the tack room, we are sent a 30 day supply each month and it has held up quite well. I don't know if that would be an option for you or not.Unsweetened apple sauce is a good idea, or will he eat if his food is wet and the powder is mixed in? How about if he eats when you are there to keep him company, give it to him at night? Sugar free jello mix is also an option, or sugar free Maple syrup.
    Good luck, it is always a pain when they won't eat their meds.

Mix the powder with water and syringe it in.

Used the applesauce with a pony that I would literally have to wrestle to get the pergolide into (and, yes, I am using literally correctly )

If you are going to try the gourmeds get a few samples of the different flavors ahead of time without the pergolide in. Good thing we did this because the pony refused to eat them. In any flavor.

Currently he has the liquid. But he is leased for the summer so it is someone else's problem and I am enjoying the vacation!

Quote Originally Posted by tryintogethere View Post
    Peppermint does effect some medicines and change the properties of them so I would check that before using that.
    The old guy I take care of wouldn't eat it either so we just give it to him orally, he does get the liquid, we got a small fridge like a dorm fridge and put it in the tack room, we are sent a 30 day supply each month and it has held up quite well. I don't know if that would be an option for you or not.Unsweetened apple sauce is a good idea, or will he eat if his food is wet and the powder is mixed in? How about if he eats when you are there to keep him company, give it to him at night? Sugar free jello mix is also an option, or sugar free Maple syrup.
    Good luck, it is always a pain when they won't eat their meds.
    Unfortunately a mini fridge won't work with the barn set-up we have, outlets are at odd places and there's really no room to put an appliance like that. I'll have to ask my vet if applesauce is ok, his food is already 'wet' down with a little oil, and he eats most of it, just decides that he's over it by the end and leaves a few bites. I'm also trying to make it easy for barn staff to do since I board 45 min away from where I live, work full time, and can't feasably be there every day for every feeding. I feel so bad about his increasing high-maintenance issues, when I got him he was the easiest thing in the barn to take care of! Now he is on 4 different additives plus special feed... sigh.

Thanks everyone! I'll run some of these ideas by my vet, she is supposed to give me a call about his muscle issues sometime soon anyway.

PONY'TUDE

Default are you using powder?

if so i recommend you switch to capsules. i use apple flavored from thriving pets. mare eats it with her plain jane alam pellets.

if you're stuck w/ powder for a while, you could try syringing with some apple sauce, although i personally would hate to put an animal through that on daily basis.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I have used 100% apple juice from concentrate. It is apple juice, water and vit c...no sugar added. read the labels.

I would check with the vet about the apple sauce or apple juice because those would be great alternatives for you.

I also find horses go off feed when they first start up with the pergolide abd they recommend stopping them for a few days and restarting them.

Good luck.
    Let us know if the vet thinks the unsweetened apple sauce or juice is ok.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Just had a chat with my vet about our feed/exercise program for PSSM, and asked her about adding applesauce since he finds the pergolide slightly icky. She said a little unsweetened sauce would be just fine. Yay!

Thanks everyone

PONY'TUDE