The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Ok many thanks to all who have responded.

Wendy, while I hear what you're saying that's not what we do in our house. But for a reason. Crow, my 11 yr old is allowed loose as he has earned his place out. But Taz my 3.5 yr old is not there yet. She has been a chewer when left out all day. And as such she is much better, as are our possesions, when she remains crate bound during the day.

But I must say I was raised with dogs crated through such point that they could be trusted and then they were blocked off into a certain section of the house with baby gates.

One day maybe Taz will graduate to that point. But she hasn't yet.

~Emily
    This is my Corgi-- she is almost 3 and still chews stuff up if left out for any long length of time. She is fine for a couple hours out at most, but any more than that and there's a chance I won't have a remote control for my T.V. left ( she's eaten 2 DVD player remotes so far)...
    If I am gone from the house for any length of time, she is crated with a small bowl of water. It's safer for all of us.

I recently adopted a Great Dane and he too, is crated when I am not home---mainly because he is new, I don't want a dog fight while I am gone, and because he can counter surf and wipe the television onto the floor with his tail in one swipe.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdiamondracing View Post
    This is my Corgi-- she is almost 3 and still chews stuff up if left out for any long length of time. She is fine for a couple hours out at most, but any more than that and there's a chance I won't have a remote control for my T.V. left ( she's eaten 2 DVD player remotes so far)...
    If I am gone from the house for any length of time, she is crated with a small bowl of water. It's safer for all of us.
    Weird... my young one is a mutt, but we highly suspect part Corgi. Doesn't do a thing wrong with people around. But will go after remotes and instruments of technology if she is left out beyond 6-7 hours.

And she's gone through remotes and bluetooth headsets. And don't get me started on DVD's. :-)

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries