The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Holsteiner Verband auctions....

Hey all,

Has anyone been to Germany and participated either through buying a horse from or just attending one of the holsteiner or hannovarian verband auctions? I would love to hear your experiences, see pics of the horses you bought and hear just your opinions overall.

Thanks

A friend of ours did in South Germany (I believe this is where he said). And he said there were some amazing deals that he had to sit on his hands in order to not bid on them! He said there were some real gems going for CHEAP! And the auctions are incredibly organized! If I had my own farm I would definitely go over and get a few of them at a time, there are some real deals in those auctions. Till then I import one horse at a time.

I've been. Smaller auction collection than some ESP Han but great quality. Saw some that sold for quite a bit less though have to factor in import/shipping costs. In general they were very forward. Yes, that's good but Mach 1 on something that's still wobbly on a straight line is different. First day I wondered if I could ride as I felt like a discredit to my country. Found one I really clicked with but two deep pockets got into a bidding war and the horse sold for many times over reasonable. Check X-rays as Europe isn't as insistent on clean films as we are. Like any auction horses are ridden by lots of folks so that can razz the young ones. If you do bring one home allow time for them to settle and grow up. Even if they free jump something big they are still babies and need to be treated as such.

I would post this in the SportHorse Breeding forum, there are several breeders who have both attended and purchased.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Thanks, I will give that a try!