The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help for sore paws

We took Miss Koa hiking yesterday, and I'm afraid her feets are a bit sore. This is the first time I've ever had a dog turn up sore after going out--it was not a long hike, but it was the first of the season, and I guess she wasn't as ready for it as I thought. It was also more rocky than I anticipated, which probably played a part.

Is there anything I can do to help her out now? I know she'll probably feel better in a few days, but she is pretty ouchy now.

Oh, and edited to add: I have checked her feet thoroughly, and she does not have any thorns, spines or other foreign objects i her feet, nor does she have any cuts or abrasions. All of her bones move freely and without complaint from her. The issue absolutely appears to be some overuse soreness of the pads, and mostly on the right forefoot.
    Last edited by Simkie; Jul. 5, 2011 at 11:19 PM.

Ouch poor pup. You can try Musher's Secret or paw wax. Call around your pet stores. I put this on before a big hike in June. Don't know if it helped them more or me (peace of mind) but it didn't hurt.

I did not condition myself or my pups for this hike -ok ok we got lost and had to hike an extra hour or so to get to the car! - but they survived without any noticeable soreness or tenderness.

Will the Musher's Secret help after the fact?

I did take her to the vet today, as I've just not seen improvement. He found a small blister on the back of the big, main pad and hooked us up with some Deramaxx. Told me I could give some booties a try (which, of course, I have multiple sets of and forgot to pack up to the park on Monday. )

Good news is that this should improve pretty quickly and the vet said we could still attend our very first agility class on Friday, with a note to only do the things that were easy for Koa. Wooo!

what about Corona or Bag Balm or something along those lines? Aloe vera? Or, when my dogs feet get sore like that from walking on rocks, we something just do vaseline/neosporin.

Default I soak my feet

Would she tolerate soaking in epsom salts? Except the one with the blister.

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarmette View Post
    Would she tolerate soaking in epsom salts? Except the one with the blister.
    It's funny you mention that! I asked the vet--thinking, hey...if I have a HORSE with a sore, bruised foot, I'd think about soaking it--and he said I could if I wanted, but it probably would not really do anything

And to clarify--the blistered foot does not have any broken skin or anything. The blister has not popped. The only indication that it's there at all is the lameness and a VERY minor swelling of the pad in one spot, along with a slightly squishy feel right there. It is QUITE subtle and I'm not surprised I missed it.

The goofy dog is doing much better today and I think she will be back to normal in a day or so!

Definitely agree with the Musher's Secret. I use it on my girl because we have a lot of pavement to walk on, and she came to me with very sensitive pads. It's a nice alternative to boots, and really does seem to help. I've read about many people who use it in the winter to keep snow from balling up in the pads and to protect from the salt irritation on sidewalks. Others (like me) use it to protect from rough and/or hot pavement.

I noticed a nice improvement in my girl's pads after we started using it (they were less likely to crack but definitely tougher). I would say it would help your dog during the healing process, though boots might be nice as well.

I got my Musher's Secret on Amazon for a really great price, and I recommend it giving it a try. It seems to hydrate the pads, but the waxiness of it helps create a protective barrier on top. (As a last resort, my mom actually used it on a badly rubbed (horse) tail one time, and it seemed to help keep it protected from more rubbing while it healed.)

Another nice benefit, it's totally safe for them to lick (I have to keep my girl from doing that while it soaks in because she seems to think it's very tasty...)