The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equine Vet Nurse in UK?

Is a vet nurse career different in the UK? Can you actually make a self-sustaining wage doing it there? I loved my time as a vet tech, but it just doesn't pay enough here...
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

... _. ._ .._. .._

Yes, I researched the qualifications, and I'm fine with doing them, but only if I can have a career that provides a comfortable living. Here, the schooling is less, but so is the money. I'd rather go through more school and have a good career!! And I loved being a technician here, I just couldn't survive on my paycheck alone.

ETA that I am doing pre requisites for vet school, but the amount of student loans I would incur is quite daunting. So I'm happy to do school (especially the apprenticeships offered in UK) to make a living, as long as there is light at the end of the tunnel!!

you wnat the larger animal vets or equine vets depending where you want to go to in uk my vets do overseas students vet look www.newnhamvets.co.uk you want to speak to john kenward or peter brown
    bell equine also do students you want to speak to julian there www.bellequine.co.uk
    they would also put you in touch with another if they have no spaces and advise you obviously they are in kent uk also newham court has another branch in wrotham kent under a different name
    you can only ask email them

I've definitely looked into clinics and schools, mostly in the Gloucestershire area (I'd love to be in the vicinity of Carl Hester! ) but I really don't want to inquire about positions and/or intern slots without having some idea of what an equine vet nurse makes there. As well as the stability, career advancement opportunities, demand, etc of the positions there.

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...w=1440&bih=799

Look through here, it will give you an idea. To look at more searches in the UK, go to Google.com - click advanced at bottom right of search box, click on the plus at bottom left that gives more options, change region to UK and then you have the UK google (apart from paid ads) type in whatever you are interested in, ie if you are interested in a particular part of the country.

Remember though that salary is only part of it. The cost of living here is generally a lot more than the USA.

A couple of mins of google came up with this study:
    http://www.bvna.org.uk/2010%20Wages%...s%20Master.pdf

Also 2010 data:
    The average salary has risen by just 0.3% to £25,900 up from £25,800 where the wage for full-time employees rose by 2.6%.
    The occupation which saw the biggest rise in pay, according to the ONS ranking, were authors and writers , with a 15.2% rise to £25,522 per year.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/a...#ixzz1RUCYPm4K

A small mention on how vet nurses compare to others on the second chart here:
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/a...ages-2010.html

I live in metro NY, so the cost of living doesn't scare me as much as it might some!

But thank you for the links! In looking through some job listings, it seems there are quite a few vet nurse jobs that include accommodation as part of the salary, which would be great for me. I'd like to get back into equine nursing, as I've been a small animal tech here for the last 4 years. I miss working with the horses. I'll contact the one clinic that seemed the most likely to be what I want and see what information I can get.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by fizzyfuzzybuzzy View Post
    I live in metro NY, so the cost of living doesn't scare me as much as it might some!

But thank you for the links! In looking through some job listings, it seems there are quite a few vet nurse jobs that include accommodation as part of the salary, which would be great for me. I'd like to get back into equine nursing, as I've been a small animal tech here for the last 4 years. I miss working with the horses. I'll contact the one clinic that seemed the most likely to be what I want and see what information I can get.

Thanks for the info!
    You'd better start looking at the immigration/employment issue before you get your hopes up - it would be pretty difficult to get the work permit for such a job when unemployment in the U.K. is high. Also, remember that while the pound converts to lots of dollars they are the local currency and it is not cheap to live there!

Working in the UK;
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/
    It's unlikely that your skills would be in need.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I would be on one of two visa, a student visa, or the working holiday visa. Both allow me to work within the UK (the student visa part time during the semesters and full time during breaks). If I complete a degree within the UK, I then can apply for a visa that allows me to stay in country for a further 2 years and hopefully find a job that would sponsor me. If not, back to the states I go!! But that would be about 5 years in the UK, so that might be sufficient! I'm also working on getting my dual citizenship with Italy, so that would make me a citizen of the EU, making getting a visa much easier!

I've done my homework on the visa/work thing, just trying to get some info on the veterinary/vet nurse career track there.

I would suggest that you complete the points calculator http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator before assuming you can stay after study. That appears to be for doctors and dentists.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

My visa issues are not really what I was asking about with this thread. I was asking about the work climate in the UK for an equine vet nurse. Can anyone enlighten me on that topic?

Academic at this point.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._