The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Homemade Jumps? Where to get materials?

Where have you gotten materials to make your home made jumps? Where is the cheapest?
    Obviously If I had a ton of money I would just walk into home depot and buy a bunch of wood. Or just order a set off the web.
    I think about 6 years ago, I remember hearing someone talk about Home Depot or Lowes giving discounts on their 'scrap' wood? Anyone have any ideas or experience with the hardware stores or lumber yards?

If you are looking for scrap lumber try a contractor or a fence building company. New subdivisions generate a lot of scraps and if you take enough you save the developers trash fees. If you get in with a fence building company they are likely going to have old demolished fences to get rid of - only problem is they are going to want ALL of it gone, not just the little bits you pick through.

Or one of those fellows that collects junk - problem with them is that they are hoarder ish and don't like to part with their good stuff!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Try your local dump or county landfill for pallets, barrels, and scrap wood. I have a really cute brush box I made out of broken pallets!

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22423...43029495cWBFLK

Pretty much everything in this shot, excluding the block, are "home made." The "pole" in the "jump cup" is just a really large branch we found out in the woods, took the bark off and sanded and painted it. The cup is a POS grazing bit that came attached to a bridle we bought. The other pole on the ground is cheap PVC we bought at Lowes and use for ground rails.