The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Root Beer

I am doing recipes that call for root beer as an ingredient but am having trouble finding a root beer soda that has a strong flavor.. Can anyone suggest brands that are strong flavored,pls ?

Dad's; Barqs, or any generic. The strong flavor - to me- has always been vanilla.

Hire's or Barq's
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Virgils, hands down, is the best rootbeer out there. It's not bad for you either, in terms of soda, because they use quality ingredients. Their cream soda is TO DIE FOR.

It might be regional to my area, but you can usually find it at Trader Joes/Whole Foods/other smaller independent grocery stores.

Also...they do make "rootbeer flavoring," either real or fake, that is found in the spice aisle in the grocery store. Right next to the vanilla flavoring, usually. So that might be an option, depending on what you're making.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Barq's--if you're looking for something generically available around the country. Regionally, you might find something else.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I used to love Old Dominion Rootbeer but I can't get it anymore except at the big beverage retailer that sells stuff wholesale. One of my fellow COTH-folk introduced me to it many years ago.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Do any of your local microbreweries do root beer? One of ours does; it's quite good (and strong)... we can also find it at the local farmers markets, as well as at some Amish roadside stands. Or maybe root beer is just unusually popular in south-central PA...
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

IBC in the glass bottles. But I think your recipe is probably asking for the root-beer flavoring, as was mentioned above.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I just had a very interesting flash back to my earlier years. I remember birch beer. Never had it before I moved to the south east. Had never even heard of it before I moved there. Funny. A lot of stuff is regional.

I also remember when A&W used to have the root beer made locally and it was different at different drive ins. I grew up going to one that had the best and tangiest root beer ever. Now it's all pretty weak and too generic.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Man I miss the days when we could guzzle that sugary stuff because we just didn't know any better.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

The very best root beer in the US is Fitz's.

Abita is also very good.

Hank's makes a good root beer, too

Most of the organic root beers and au naturale root beer have a strongy root beer-y flavor.

Now you must share what the recipe is
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Yes! I want the recipe! (that that I can imagine me cooking anything... Not at least successfully... sigh)

I'm a barq's girl, but love the smaller/local brands, too. I'd love to try a whole bunch!

Recently we had a big buncha' Irish folk in for a wedding. one of the groom's brothers tried root beer for the first time and was absolutely disgusted by it- said it was like coke+cough syrup! But i love it!!!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

OK, I have been making root beer BBQ beans and BBQ sauce, for a while and tried a few different root beers but I feel I have to add too much off the soda to get any real flavor and then the beans are to liquidy (yes I can do a reduction to evap some of the water but I don't want ingredients to get mushy).. I have added root beer flavoring a couple times to punch it up some but that gets pricey and adds a step. this week I used Henry Weinhards root beer.. beans were good but not quite the flavor I am looking for, I have used Dad's,A&W and the local store stuff so was hoping some RB connoisseurs would have better beer choices.

anyone who wants to try them,pls PM me w/email addy happy to share. Also have an easy cilantro-lime cole slaw recipe that is good for summers.

My husband was raised on the stuff and likes to make his own - only trouble is sometimes they get too warm and explode then there is that sticky mess to clean up from under the bedroom dresser....

Thomas Kemper!
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."