The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Curious Warmblood Brand (SL?)

A riding buddy of mine has just started riding a new horse, who happens to have a brand that none of us can identify.

He's branded on his left flank with what looks like the letters "SL," inside of a square with a short "spire" sticking up from the top. On his left shoulder, he's branded with the numbers "99" (likely his birth year) and directly below that "33". He's of typical warmblood build (just in 18.3 hand form—he's huge!).

Anyway, this brand has me stumped, so wise COTHers, anyone know it?

See post #11: could be from the Fédération Studbook Luxembourgeoise (FSL)?
    Last edited by Tha Ridge; Jul. 5, 2011 at 02:13 PM.

Many warmblood breeders in the breeding forum.
    They may be able to help you there.

A pure square doesn't ring a bell, but a shield with a squiggle on top does ...

True, but some folks who may know don't read the breeding forum, so I thought I'd try here first.

I know the shield with the squiggle too (Bavarian Warmblood), but it's definitely not that.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's farm-specific rather than breed specific, or perhaps he's from South America? I know he's not Tatabra, but I'm not sure how other farms brand their stock.

PMU? TB or other from Aus/NZ- iirc they get a shoulder brand with a #?

This is about the most comprehensive brand site I have seen; http://www.horsedata.co.uk/horse_brands.htm
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    This is about the most comprehensive brand site I have seen; http://www.horsedata.co.uk/horse_brands.htm
    That's my typical go-to resource, but this brand isn't on there.

He's certainly not PMU—he was a 1.40m jumper before an injury relegated him to the AAs, don't think a lot of PMU horses compete at that level.

Here's a link to a drawing I did of the brand: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6052/...a33d67f1_o.jpg

And here's a photo of him. You can see the shoulder brand here: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6052/...4d4f5a9c_z.jpg

Need to raise that roof a bit, he looks uncomfortable
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

is he a russian horse? I road an hanovarian that was imported form russia with a brand like that on his back; where the top number gives the year he was born and the bottom number says what number foal he was that year.
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    Need to raise that roof a bit, he looks uncomfortable
    I told you he was big! He can't fit in the normal tack-up stalls, so the aisle is as good as it gets for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    PMU? TB or other from Aus/NZ- iirc they get a shoulder brand with a #?
    They do, but it is foal number over top of a single digit representing birth year - so with 33 on the bottom, that's likely not it.

So, possibly solved: anyone know anything about the Fédération Studbook Luxembourgeoise (FSL)? They don't have a website and I can't find any information about how they brand, but it seems like it could explain the SL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I told you he was big! He can't fit in the normal tack-up stalls, so the aisle is as good as it gets for him.
    He's cute... no doubt about it. Both my warhorses are 17h/17-1 and I have to drop off carefully; some friends of ours have an 18.1 shire and almost gacked my ankle up good getting off her... I can't imagine the dismount from up there, especially with the added weight of the oxygen tank & mask...
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    They do, but it is foal number over top of a single digit representing birth year - so with 33 on the bottom, that's likely not it.
    So perhaps the reverse, he was the 33rd foal born in '99, making him 12? Who does the reverse, year on top and foal # on bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    So, possibly solved: anyone know anything about the Fédération Studbook Luxembourgeoise (FSL)? They don't have a website and I can't find any information about how they brand, but it seems like it could explain the SL.
    They do have a site, just not in English http://www.studbook.lu/de/index.php And I think we're back to the drawing board, as their brand appears to be a cursive L in a horse shoe, with 3 more smaller horse shoes above it.

Are you sure it's not just an "S" with a chevron over it?
    And the # could be the # of the mare covered at that station that year, for example, #33 would represent the 33rd mare covered at that station in that year.
    European horses have a "life number" they get before birth, based on their damn, their breed, and the station at which the mare was covered. Then they get branded at keuring. I only know european info on brands and #s.

Shave the brand and wet it and look again.

A lot of studbooks here. http://www.horsedata.co.uk/horse_brands.htm

Maybe post this in the breeder's forum? Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Ditto on shaving/wetting the brand. You can see a lot more with it wet.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Are you sure it's not just an "S" with a chevron over it?
    No, it is absolutely a square with an "SL". Nothing that even remotely looks like a chevron.

He was just body clipped, so it's clear as day as it is. I will check to see if I have an actual photo of it when I get home.

I saw one at a show that looked like a phone # but was missing a few digits, high on the back where the saddle pad goes. Very nice WB, but what type????

Quote Originally Posted by cheektwocheek View Post
    I saw one at a show that looked like a phone # but was missing a few digits, high on the back where the saddle pad goes. Very nice WB, but what type????
    That sounds more like how the Arab barn I first started riding at used to freeze-brand their horses--it was just a number, usually on the neck.

That looks like a New Zealand thoroughbred brand on his shoulder. Are you positive he is a WB? Have you checked him for a lip tattoo?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.