The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How did everyone fare their 4th Of July

Here is a pretty Basic run down of how mine went with all the little animals. 4 am and the neighborhood was still going strong and I was begrudgingly wide awake and writing this ditty. To the theme of 12 Days of Christmas of course !!!

12 Neighborhood Parties
    11 Hrs of explosions
    10 Tabs of Benadryl
    9 Spat out pills
    8 Pills located
    7 Pets a scrambling
    6 Got their meds
    5 Bleeding Wounds
    4 Will get infected
    3 Finally sleeping
    2 Cold Beers
    And a happy fourth of July !
    Last edited by Lynnwood; Jul. 5, 2011 at 09:04 AM.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Glad everybody(you and your animals) made it through, at least.

We had an awful storm blow an hour or two before people started fireworks. It was over in time for festivities, fortunately.
    My puppy hid in her crate and slept once the storm started and stayed in there all night.
    She did not seem too phased by the explosions. She was much more upset by the storm. Understandably, since it blew in out of nowhere and the 70mph winds were knocking pictures off the wall and sending things flying around the house and yard before we could get the windows shut and the house locked up.

We came back from the parade to find that enough people had set off firecrackers in the neighborhood to set my sheltie off. He tries to chew through the door to the garage in the kitchen during storms and fireworks. The door was covered in blood with paint scraped off. We thought he would be ok if we got home before it the sun even started to go down but were wrong. So my choices were stay home or take him with us. I ended up giving him a benadryl and stuffing his ears with cotton and taking him with us to the fire works. He panted the entire time but other than that showed no signs of anxiety so for him it seemed to be the right call.

BF's dog whined & paced all night. I got maaaaybe 3 hours of non-consecutive sleep, shlepped to work bright & early, and I'm majorly cranky today.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I got off pretty easy.

Dear sweet deaf old Pody (30 year old mare) kept the other horses calm.

Neurotic kitty hid, but that's just sort what he does most of the time anyhow. Other kitty seemed pretty oblivious.

Tessa (the 40lb mutt) barked at first, but once she realized that the banging was not someone trying to break into our house, she settled right down.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Quote Originally Posted by hackinaround View Post
    12 Neighborhood Parties
    11 Hrs of explosions
    10 Tabs of Benadryl
    9 Spat out pills
    8 Pills located
    7 Pets a scrambling
    6 Got their meds
    5 Bleeding Wounds
    4 Will get infected
    3 Finally sleeping
    2 Cold Beers
    And a happy fourth of July !
    On that theme, I had

12 flustered chickens
    11 points for muley*
    10 hours of explosions
    9 nervous mammals
    8 teens with lighters
    7 households partying
    6 rattled goaties
    5 helpful neighbors
    4 frightened Joneses
    3 hours of searching
    2 missing canines
    and a happy reunion for us all.

*on a scale of ten . . . Fenway is AWESOME with fireworks! The dogs, not so much. I thought I had everything under control and then my aussie busted through what I thought was a dog-proof gate during an evening pee-break! Luckily, they're home again.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Angry

My horses didn't like the echoing booms from distant (and legal) fireworks displays last night, but they did OK overall.

House cats didn't care.

Now, let me rant about the punk-a@@ kids who illegally set off rounds of firecrackers in a very dry wash next to my trainer's barn while we were in the middle of our 4th of July playday. We (not me--too old and breakable, LOL) were in the middle of a "bareback around-the-world" contest. It could have been MUCH worse, but there were numerous frightened, leaping equines, and numerous girls who landed in the dirt.
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

Kitty was amazingly unfazed last night... I wandered down to the bedroom to see if she was upset and found her totally zonked out on the bed. Obviously not an issue for her, apparently.

But I don't know what was with people this year - I definitely heard fireworks until 1 am in a rather urban area where doing them probably isn't the smartest thing. Don't remember them going this late before.

Ours did great. Our barn party included fireworks, which we set off in the front paddock. Only two of the equines even cared, and they paced a little in their stalls, no big deal, and nobody the least bit worse for wear. Most of the horses would look over their Dutch doors when one went off and go back to their hay. Mine? Never even lifted his face out of the hay. This is one reason why our horses are pretty much bombproof when we take them places.

My dog and the farm dog were both pretty okay too...mine wanted to be right next to me, but he wasn't terrified, just less than thrilled with the loud noise.

Cats didn't care. Don't know about the chickens. Although if the nasty mean rooster had a heart attack and bought it, it would be a bonus.

I live in town so people don't tend to go too overboard with the private fireworks. You could hear some popping. The cats could care less. My roommate's dog wouldn't eat his dinner and wouldn't go outside at all. My puppy could have cared less. Not too bad of an evening.

Cats don't care, horses are now used to it and just stand around watch (not so the first year here), dogs are another story.

Both do not do thunderstorms well. The Aussie doesn't do gunfire (we live in
    the boonies and folks hunt) or fireworks. The lab mix has now decided maybe fireworks aren't such a good thing (doggie see, doggie do). Very hard to get them out to potty. Up very late two nights in a row as the local yokels kept up the noise until well after one am. Sigh!

We now take them for car rides just before dark around the countryside for a couple of hours. Did catch the Macy's fireworks in NYC on TV before we left...

Wish each county would designate an area for folks to go to to set off their
    own fireworks, perhaps with fire truck on hand since it's always dry here this
    time of year and let the rest of the county get some sleep and spare their animals and livestock the terror.

My dog stands on the porch and watches the town fireworks show go off. It doesn't bother him at all. He doesn't think he is a dog though... nobody better ever tell him the truth.

It poured down rain from evening until about midnight, so everything got rained out! Quietest 4th in history here. Felt kind of sorry for everyone who enjoys that stuff.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Our dogs were in boarding (indoor) for the 4th of July as we were out of town and visiting doggie-allergic family members. Our dogs NEVER had a problem with loud noises, thunder, etc. before, but we picked them up from boarding yesterday morning, and last night some folks decided to shoot off fireworks.

Our pittie was terrified to the extent she would NOT settle down last night and kept standing in her crate or whining.

Our Shepherd would not settle down and started panting heavily every time a firework boomed in our neighborhood.

Kind of makes me wonder WTH happened at boarding?!
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

The GSD was a little more alert than usual, and one of the barn cats was a bit bug eyed but not running off to hide or anything. I went out to check on the horses when there were giant crackling starbursts going off more or less above them, and they were totally unconcerned Most were nibbling at hay or what passes for grass out there, two of them dozing with cocked hips. Wild, crazy beasts, I tell ya!

Fireworks were BANNED in my county due to fire danger..so it was a wonderful, quiet July Fourth.

my one border collie has severe noise phobia..so I wasnt looking forward to all the noise!

Default Fireworks + Thunderstorm

We had fireworks AND a thunder & lightening storm. A vertical bolt of lightening would light up the sky immediately followed by booming circular firework. Hard to tell what was fireworks and what was thunder. Very dramatic!

My mom's 11yo lab has survived the festivities every year without seeming to notice: too many people to visit and food to steal. One year he was mistakenly let out of the house, ran to the beach (aka their front yard) and stole some kids' entire pepperoni pizza. Oops! As usual, he was placed in his room just before the fireworks. He continously delivered a rhythmic, muffled yipping. This was a first.

Earlier in the day I had to demand the kids stop playing with him. He was exhausted from fetching and swimming to their delight. His age is catching up to him and sure enough he needed a pain med that night and the next day: slow to get up, hesitant to climb stairs, and a slight limp. Poor guy!

My Old Man was with me, Timid Dog at "grandad's." Earlier in the day, Old Man started barking and growling at the sky. I didn't know what he was looking at, the only thing I could see was my little cousins flying a kite. Oh! The kite?! He has never reacted to birds or anything heavenly before.

I had him in my lap when a firework in another town over boomed. He flinched. Uh oh is he developing issues with things in the sky now? He went with mom's lab into the dog room with beds and treats. I retrieved them both afterwards and my Old Man was curled up and sleepy eyed; his own black island on the lab's huge sea of a bed

Quote Originally Posted by spinandslide View Post
    Fireworks were BANNED in my county due to fire danger..so it was a wonderful, quiet July Fourth.
    And everything but pre-packaged fireworks are illegal in Georgia...pre-packaged banned in most counties due to drought, but they're still around...and the local LEOs don't stop them. *sigh*
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

My very intelligent Siberian was terrified and demonstrated it in the same way he does with thunderstorms: by walking across the bedroom, sitting next to my side of the bed bolt upright and staring out the window, silently.

My, uh, less intelligent mostly-hound-with-some-Sibe foster dog was totally unfazed. To each his own.

We live very far out in the country and our neighbors are older with no kids at home so we didn't have any fireworks close by. I took my parents, my kid and one of her friends to see the city fireworks. You can see them quite well from my office's parking lot. There were quite a few friends and co-workers there watching so we had a small tailgate party. One of my friends had home made frozen lemonade. Yum.

We had a catahoula that LOVED fireworks. I don't like the kind that just make noise but I do like the sparkly ones. Hank would stand and bark at them. I swear he'd come running as soon as you lit the punk to set off the fire works. We lost him to cancer a couple of years ago and I haven't bought fireworks since.