The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cheap New England Vacation Spots

Every August the boyfriend and I take a little mini vacation somewhere...three or four nights, just to relax and take some time off.

We are both poor students, however, and unfortunately can't afford a house rental on Nantucket. So we go to spots that aren't "in season"...aka, basically anything that's not near a beach. Last year, for example, we went to Burlington...a gorgeous area with lots to do, but their "season" is mostly in the winter, during ski season, so summer rates were pretty affordable.

We're looking to stay for sub $130 or so a night, and I personally adore Bed and Breakfasts/Inns. Much more personal service for the same (or less) as the chain hotels.

So lemme have it: what are your "secret" summer New England (or even New York state!) getaway spots? We like to stay within 5 hours or so of Western Mass, so that we can max out our time without losing a day to driving. A friend suggested Conway, NH, or a few towns in Northern VT.

The Finger Lakes region of NY is overlooked. Inexpensive rentals, wineries w/cheap tastings, good easy hikes.

Conway, NH is great. Long Lake, NY & Tupper Lake, NY have places with cute cabins. Manchester, VT is fun with good B&Bs.

Quote Originally Posted by MMavin View Post
    The Finger Lakes region of NY is overlooked. Inexpensive rentals, wineries w/cheap tastings, good easy hikes.

Conway, NH is great. Long Lake, NY & Tupper Lake, NY have places with cute cabins. Manchester, VT is fun with good B&Bs.
    I feel like I need to stay away from the Fingerlakes because I WILL come home with a TB! But I have heard it's gorgeous, will check it out.

Thanks for the other tips! I have long days with access to a computer so I have been searching for B&Bs in random places.....they don't pop up on hotwire and the like so you just have to search!

HIGHLY recommend the White Mountains of Northern NH, or possibly Vermont's Northeast Kingdom.... but I find there's more "to do" in the White Mountains, year round. Really lovely and affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Thanks for the other tips! I have long days with access to a computer so I have been searching for B&Bs in random places.....they don't pop up on hotwire and the like so you just have to search!
    TripAdvisor.com -- searches B&Bs as well as hotels. I find the reviews helpful as long as there are at least 10 to read.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

If you decide to head back to the Burlington, VT area there is a great inn in Bolton Valley called the Black Bear Inn. Nothing fancy but very charming with super nice people and the best food you have ever eaten!

I grew up in the White Mountains and highly recommend it! I would recommend staying in Lincoln, NH as it's pretty central to the mountains and also an easy drive to the Lakes Region. Loon Mountain is a resort that's open year round and has rooms and rentals at a variety of prices. You can take the gondola up the mountain year round and there are a bunch of activities to do right there. It's also right at the start of the Kancamagus Highway which goes over the mountains to Conway and is a must-do drive-it's absolutely beautiful! If you go at dusk you are very likely to see some moose. It's also a nice day trip from Lincoln to Lake Winnepesaukee or Squam Lake and all the great things to do in the Lakes Region.

Feel free to PM me with any questions-I love my home state and would be happy to give more info!

GoForAGallop, I have a great trip for you. Mr. chai and I stumbled upon it when we dropped our son at camp in the Adirondacks and meandered our way back through Vermont.

Here are the the highlights of that 24 hour getaway:

Driving through the Adirondacks. Amazing.

Ausable Chasm in www.ausablechasm.com granted, the guy in the ye olde fashioned outfit on the website is pretty cheezy, but this place is incredible.

The Ferry Ride Across Lake Champlain www.ferries.com Including our car, it cost less than $20 and it was one of the most amazing experiences. The afternoon sunset on the lake, the incredible views of the Adirondacks, and the unspoiled coastline on the NY side of Lake Champlain were just amazing.

The Shelburne Museum www.shelburnemuseum.org My brother dated the founder's grand daughter when he was in college. My sisters and I loved her and were furious with him when it broke up. After I went to this museum, I called him and told him he was crazy for letting her get away. Interesting family, incredible museum, especially if you have any interest in Americana.

I'm not sure if they're in VT this year, but Hermann's Royal Lippizanner Stallions perform in Hero, VT, not far from the Shelburne Museum.

The Basin Harbor Club: We got a gorgeous room including dinner for the same price that the chain motels in Burlington were charging. The Basin Harbor Club is beautiful and the food was incredible. Our room was enormous and had a view right down to the water. www.basinharbor.com

Burlington, VT has an interesting diversity and a huge arts community. Check out UVM, too...very pretty.

Hope that helps.

Second Burlington VT area. Love it there. Shelburne Museum is great and so is the farm which is a combo inn and experimental farm.

Loads to do in the area and driving around the area is also fun.

Woodstock VT is another nice area with loads of B&Bs. Antiques, crafts, restaurants, and some cool museums/ houses to visit. There's even a floating bridge if you wander around a bit. Bridge floats just over the water. When you drive over you are actually in the water. St Gaudins (sculpture) and other artists places along the VT / NH border.

It's been a LONG time since I lived in New England, so research this carefully... but September or even early October on Cape Cod can be gorgeous and a lot less expensive than summer! We did a couple of weekdays on Martha's Vineyard, staying at a cheap (relatively speaking) guest house and had a great time. You could probably look for the same thing on the outer cape.

Providence in general gets overlooked. Again, long time since I lived there, but if you found a place to stay down toward South County you get the beach and a very different feel than the Cape, and a fairly short drive to Providence for all sorts of arts things and good restaurants. If you time it right, you might get good weather for outdoor stuff and fall arts stuff on the same weekend.

Check out www.goinnovatours.com - they have some wonderful trips that can work with your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDoubleDiamond View Post
    If you decide to head back to the Burlington, VT area there is a great inn in Bolton Valley called the Black Bear Inn. Nothing fancy but very charming with super nice people and the best food you have ever eaten!
    hey that's just up the street from me! tell you what--if you go there i will show you the most bestest swimming hole in all of vermont, and we have some amazing places to eat. ben and jerry's and green mountain coffee roasters are close by, and there's a great place for breakfast nearby as well.

I just got back from the White Mountains yesterday and could have stayed another 2 weeks! We always stay in Bartlett, which is easy from the Kanc and far enough from the North Conway traffic (but only 20 minutes from the shopping, if that is your thing) to make us happy. We did loads of hiking and had easy access to both Pinkham and Carter Notches. While there, we saw moose, deer, beaver, bear tracks, and loads of other wildlife. Beautiful wild lupines and other flowers everywhere. If you are looking for an easy and spectacular hike, I can't recommend Mt. Willard enough!! Less than an hour to the summit, which is a beautiful ledge overlooking the most gorgeous view of the valley. Pack a picnic of sandwiches from J-Town Deli in Jackson or Bart's Deli in Bartlett and spend the afternoon in awe... Stop in at any of the AMC lodges and get great advice on the best trails and pick up any supplies and books while you are in. Pirates Cove in N.Conway is the BEST mini golf ever and just up the street is an ice cream place with a Make Your Own Sundae Bar. I still haven't stopped dreaming about that place.

Wherever you go, have FUN!!

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    Burlington, VT has an interesting diversity and a huge arts community. Check out UVM, too...very pretty.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks! I LOVED Burlington....we spent five days there and it was just lovely. The UVM campus is gorgeous....if only it wasn't the most expensive state school in the country, I'd be there!

Quote Originally Posted by Drive NJ View Post
    Second Burlington VT area. .
    Thanks! We went last year and so were looking for something a little different, but might end up back there again...we certainly weren't bored!

Thanks for the other suggestions too!

Quote Originally Posted by betsyk View Post
    It's been a LONG time since I lived in New England, so research this carefully... but September or even early October on Cape Cod can be gorgeous and a lot less expensive than summer! .
    I WISH we could schedule something for the fall...you're right, it's loads cheaper, less crowded, and just as gorgeous. Unfortunately, we're both seniors with some pretty intensive course loads, so taking off a week to go jaunt on the beach is impossible.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I am researching bed and breakfasts as we speak!

If you have, or can get, a passport, how about Montreal? If you are looking for driving distance vacations from Mass, more than New England scenery, Montreal is a good one! Only about 1.5 hours past Burlington and you really feel like you are "away". There is a festival of one sort or another nearly every weekend in the summer and there is lots and lots of things to do, even without a festival.