The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ideas for the bored 6 month old active kitten

My little crazy guy needs some new toys...I need help.

We do play fetch twice a day, but he needs some other games to keep him from attacking the other cat and dogs looking for someone to rough house with him.

Any suggestions. Very intelligent little soul.

Give him his own 'collection' of paper bags and a couple of small boxes - hours of fun for a kitten (and some spoilt rotten adult cats). Toys on strings that you can attach to a doorknob intrigue some, others don't care much for them.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Another same age kitten, of course! We have two and they entertain each other, and us! They have a collection of boxes, fuzz balls and assorted cat toys, but like a ball of paper best .

Ditto another kitten!!!

Ditto another kitten, instead of what someone did with the 8 - 10 week old that I found beside by barn 3 weeks ago

Smelled all froo-froo and her ears were spotless clean. She started out being someone's house kitten but is quite the talker and gets loud if you don't pay attention to her, so I imagine that's why she went for a ride.

She's a barn cat at my house and into everything - lol Since I am stuck with her, I named her "BB" for Busybody. Now I have to spend money on spaying when she's old enough - just great-------------not

At least she found her way to the barn before the coyotes got her. What really really tisses me off is we live on a fairly remote road. Maybe 10 houses from one end to the other, the rest is woods and pasture.

I figure whomever dumped her was the mate to the person that really wanted her (or the parent) because she's such a mouthy little brat.

If the OP would like her, maybe we can arrange travel for her. She is a beautiful little Tiger. Looks just like one of those Toyjer cats; actually she looks exactly like the kitten on the left in this link.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Toygers-Domestic-Tiger-Cats

Take a box, cut some holes in it, place a small ping-pong size/weight ball in. Stand back.

Small square of fabric, cat-nip, sew into triangle.

Natural fibre, cut out 1" lengths, line up together in a bunch, tie around middle. Pom-Pom.
    (natural fibre because if your cat eats some you want to be alright in their digestive system)

Suction-cup bird feeder in the window.

We have the opposite problem, our 'kitten' (he's almost 2 now!) is incredibly lazy. Even as a baby he was not very active & I'm always trying to come up with something new to make him MOVE!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

A large, sturdy cat tree is a wonderful thing to have. Check Craigslist ... that's where we got both of ours. Kitty is now about 2.5 years old, but she still loves her trees, especially her smaller one, which is situated in front of the upstairs window and provides a fabulous vantage point for the road, the neighbors' yard, etc.

The big one is sturdy enough that even the 60-pound hound mix can jump on and off the lower level without making it rock. They're super and our kitty figured out really quickly (with the help of some catnip) that they were the right place to do any claw sharpening/picking. She also thinks it is great fun to hang out in the top "house" area of the big one and have you throw mice up to her, which she then smacks away.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Should have clarified...sorry.

We have three huge cat trees in the house....one is a double.

I do have paper bags down as well.

He loves to hang off his cat trees and does like to run in and out of his paper bags.

Hmm, OK. How about one of these? I've been thinking of getting my cat one, as string and rattly mice are the only toys she much cares for.

Yeah...now that's the type of toy I'm looking for.

Well if you get one, let me know what your kitty thinks of it!

I've found that rotating toys keeps the interest in the toys fresh!

But nothing beats another kitten to racetrack around the house.
    Forward momentum!

If rough play is what he wants, get a sturdy and stuffed puppet (I have a cute tiger puppet) and wrestle with him! Some cats will wrestle by themselves, but many enjoy when you 'fight' back. A regular stuffed animal works too, but is more hazardous for your health
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Yep...boxes and paper bags...as well as a place to climb and roost.

My cat loves this thing (although I got a less expensive knock-off version). He'll entertain himself for hours making the little ball go around and around.