The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff of the girlie thread: Nail Polish?

Question first, then back story:
    What's the best nail polish to use for even coverage?

On Saturday, for the first time in, oh, 15 years or so, I gave myself a pedicure. I'm too damn cheap to pay somebody else to do it, and I normally wear closed-toe shoes, so I only half-heartedly thought about painting my toenails. However, I bought a fab pair of those trendy espadrille sandals last week and figured I ought to give the toes their due.

I was using Revlon polish (brand new) and was disappointed in the coverage. It took a solid four coats and still looks kind of streaky.

Is there a better polish to use? I'll happily pay more for something that goes on a bit better.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

My favourite polish is Zoya http://www.zoya.com/ Doesn't chip as fast and most of the time you only need one or two coats even with dark colours. It's a salon brand so it'll be a bit more pricey then Revlon but not by much.

Also OPI is good too. However I find that it chips fairly easily and you'll need to put on a top clear coat.

Thanks, Mako! Where do you find it, other than ordering from the web site?
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Zoya is good, also I really really like (read: LOVE) Essie. Any of the "salon" brands are usually pretty good, like OPI, Nicole by OPI, Orly, China Glaze, etc. If you live near an Ulta, I really recommend going into the store, they have a nice selection of both salon brands and the usuals like Revlon, etc. (and they have great deals and coupons if you sign up for their free club. Even if you just sign up and shop online you still get good deals/coupons!) They have two store brands themselves, the professional line and the salon line. I've only used their salon line and found that I needed a top coat - I went to bed quite a few hours after I'd done my nails with one of the salon line (no top coat) and woke up with tiny lines in the lacquer, from sleeping with my hands under my hair!

My droolworthy, never-gonna-happen polish is Illamasqua: http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...egoryId=C21473

When I was in my teens, Hard Candy used to be one of my favorites (Trailer Trash by them still stands in my mind as an ideal silver - not TOO shimmery/shiny/glittery/metallic, just a nice even silver), and now they sell them at Walmart, I believe! (I am thinking about going to one just to go see what they have)

OPI is my favorite...its a bit pricy but well worth it. It lasts also!

I have acrylic tips and get mine done every 2 weeks and don't change polish in between.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

I love Essie and OPI.
    -Tami-

[Paint It Black - "Kiddo"]

Agree with Zoya and Essie. I alternate between them.

OPI and then a topcoat - I put on a topcoat every other day and it keeps them looking great. Every other Monday mani/pedi - divine! But if I didn't have acryllics, I'd bite my nails past my elbows, so to me it's not an indulgence, it's a Must Have. And unpainted toes just won't do.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

My favorite cheap drugstore brand is Sinful Colors. I'm usually a slob when I paint my nails but this brand has been great at not being streaky, chipping or bubbling. I always paint a base coat and a top coat now that I've found Seche Clear and Seche Vite. This stuff is pretty indestructible and you can put it right on top of wet polish. It dries in 2 to 3 minutes and a bottle lasts forever. I really like OPI but its been my experience that once you open the bottle you have 3 months to use it up before it gets too thick and gunky.

I like Essie and OPI for my finger nails. My toenails are usually some sort of cheap, bright color from the CVS because I like fun toes and they don't get as much wear and tear as my hands to so I can put the cheapy stuff on them just fine.

I prefer OPI. I think it's a nice balance of price, ease of application (much smoother than Revlon IME), and durability. I can actually keep it on my nails for several days, even with riding.

If you want something cheaper, I've been surprised at the durability and ease of application of the Sally Hansen "Tough as Nails" line ($2-3/bottle). Watch out, though, some of the colors leave stains!

I have friends who swear by Chanel, but I just can't pay $20/bottle for polish.

I buy my Zoya at the salon I go to. I'm sure you can get it at most salons. Or try Sephora or even a Trade Secret store.

I've also seen OPI at TJ Maxx so keep a look out when you go!

OPI

Although where to buy it isn't very helpful. I can buy at CosmoProf, so I get it at wholesale price (same with my shampoo and conditioner, products, etc).
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Absolutely OPI. If it can stand up to me cleaning dog kennels it can stand up to anything!

DH brag: Hubby does my toes! He does a fantastic job and even picks which color to use when we change! He also likes OPI best because it flows evenly and usually one coat will do the job. It also dries nice and quick.
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Quote Originally Posted by Chester's Mom View Post
    DH brag: Hubby does my toes! He does a fantastic job and even picks which color to use when we change! He also likes OPI best because it flows evenly and usually one coat will do the job. It also dries nice and quick.
    Share your secret of training, um I mean, convincing him to do this!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.